MPH vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mishi524

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: Graduated with BS in Biology and BA in Spanish in 2010. Applied this cycle to MD and MD/MPH programs and am waitlisted at UC Davis. I'm interested in working with underserved patients in the US and abroad. I definitely want to be a MD and think a MPH would help me have a broader, more holistic perspective when treating patients. After getting waitlisted at Davis and hearing nothing else from other schools (yet), my plan was to improve my MD application in case I don't get a spot at Davis. Then I received a letter in the mail offering acceptance into SUNY Downstate's MPH program. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Assuming I don't get into a MD program this cycle, should I focus on improving my MD application and reapply next year OR matriculate in the MPH program? Can anyone tell me more about SUNY's program? I couldn't find much information on their site. They say that I can complete it in up to 6 years, but is it possible to complete in 1 year? Would you recommend concentrating in epidemiology or community health services?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on what you want to do long term. ONLY matriculate into the MPH if you have a sincere interest in public health. It won't do much for you in terms of being a booster for your M.D. applications, so you're going to want to continue to gain clinical experience and prep for retaking the MCAT (if necessary). I don't know much about SUNY Downstate's program, but were you to decide to matriculate there, choose the concentration that interests you. Med schools aren't going to give much thought into what your concentration was.

Thanks for your reply. I do have a genuine interest in public health and want to use that kind of background throughout my career. I'm still not sure med schools will prefer more healthcare-related experience or graduate work. As for concentrations, I'm interested in both epi and community health. Long term, how do these two paths differ? Currently, I'm leaning towards epi because I think it'd be easier to learn about community health outside of the classroom working in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. I do have a genuine interest in public health and want to use that kind of background throughout my career. I'm still not sure med schools will prefer more healthcare-related experience or graduate work. As for concentrations, I'm interested in both epi and community health. Long term, how do these two paths differ? Currently, I'm leaning towards epi because I think it'd be easier to learn about community health outside of the classroom working in the field.

I honestly don't really know much about how those two differ, as I didn't do much research into community health programs. I can tell you that epi is very quantitative by nature. Depending on what you want to do with your MD, I can see either one being useful. However, I do agree that of the two, community health may be easier to learn in the field.

Edit: Since I hadn't done it yet, I went ahead and looked at SUNY Downstate. It looks like their epi program is actually centered around community (urban and immigrant) health. I don't know how in depth they go into community health, but it's something else to consider.

Last edited:
Background: Graduated with BS in Biology and BA in Spanish in 2010. Applied this cycle to MD and MD/MPH programs and am waitlisted at UC Davis. I'm interested in working with underserved patients in the US and abroad. I definitely want to be a MD and think a MPH would help me have a broader, more holistic perspective when treating patients. After getting waitlisted at Davis and hearing nothing else from other schools (yet), my plan was to improve my MD application in case I don't get a spot at Davis. Then I received a letter in the mail offering acceptance into SUNY Downstate's MPH program. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Assuming I don't get into a MD program this cycle, should I focus on improving my MD application and reapply next year OR matriculate in the MPH program? Can anyone tell me more about SUNY's program? I couldn't find much information on their site. They say that I can complete it in up to 6 years, but is it possible to complete in 1 year? Would you recommend concentrating in epidemiology or community health services?

I'm perusing these boards and just now saw this, so you may have already made a decision. It depends on what you feel your med school application is lacking and why you are interested in the MPH. If you are lacking research experience and showing "interest" in health, a lot of MPH programs will give you the opportunity to do research and related internships, as well as open up some volunteer opportunities. Also, if you inevitably plan on doing the MPH anyway, it might help to do that first, especially out of undergrad. There are a lot of health career opportunities besides being a doctor and, depending on concentration, you could come out of your MPH with a decent paying job with a better work/life balance. There are a lot of serious considerations to make when going to med school that sometimes we can't fully grasp until we're in adulthood; the cost is extremely high and you will be paying back loans for years and years, you will be working rough hours in a competitive environment with little time for outside activities until well into your career, you have legal considerations with potential malpractice suits, and so on. I'm not trying to discourage you from the MD, but the MPH may help broaden your perspective, as you will be able to gain exposure to a broad array of health career opportunities and build up a network.

If you're definitely set on the MD and you're worried more about lab experience and undergrad work/GPA, you'd probably be better off taking more upper level bio and chem classes (though some MPH programs will let you do this as part of your MPH program if you ask them) as well as getting a research assistant position in a lab. If you're worried about your MCAT score, obviously taking a prep course and re-taking the MCAT will be the best route to beefing up your application.