MS OT Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wcita653

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this but I was wondering what are my odds of getting into the schools that I am applying to? I am applying to University of Southern California, University of North Carolina, and University of Illinois at Chicago.

My G.P.A. is 3.7
Prereq GPA is 3.66
GRE is around 1100
I have 100+ observation hours with an OT in various fields (Rehab, outpatient, inpatient, pediatrics)
I do not have any work experience in the field yet, but I have an internship set up for next semester. When I started to apply I could not talk about it since I have not started it yet. The only other extra curricular that I have is that I had an independent study with a Rehab Prof.

Members don't see this ad.

If people edge you out w/ a better GPA than that, they are wasting their time and should be in med school. Really. I can't speak for any school's cutoff but what you have has got to be very competitive, wouldnt you say?

Call those schools and ask them what last year's GPA made the cut, and let us know what they say. Good Luck.

3.7? Maybe you should be aiming higher.... hardest part is getting in, the rest is gravy.

I have pretty much the same stats and applying to UIC and USC, but my OT experience isn't that varied. I have about 100 hours in rehab and neuro at the same hospital. I'm going to get some peds soon before the app deadlines are over. Is that worrisome that I don't have much diversity in my experiences?

Supercota, what do you mean that the OP should be aiming higher? Do you mean that his/her grades should be better than a 3.7? Or are you being sarcastic? Sorry if I didn't get that. I'm a little confused. I am also worried about whether or not I will get into OT school.

Btw, i think UIC's average GPA is a 3.7ish for there incoming class last year. I have no idea about the other schools. I will give USC a call soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of aiming higher than OT if you have a 3.7

I'm not knocking OT, I have been doing OT for 10 years. I could never hack med school, but if someone sailed through 8 credits of chem and bio, they should not hold themself back IF they thought it was a possibity.

I talked to UIC and they said their GPA average is around 3.6. I know UNC is around 3.5 and I was not able to find out USC.

Thanks for the clarification SuperCota. I had wanted to go to med school, but my health situation makes it impossible to take on such an arduous task and long hours unless there are some crazy breakthroughs in the science world in the future that will allow me to manage my symptoms more easily. I can't even handle a regular 9-5 right now. And no, my situation isn't one of those things that med school/residency would tolerate or understand...it's complicated. For now, I think I will be alright with OT...I definitely like the philosophy though.

I've been around this forum for a while and thanks Supercota for being here to answer questions. I feel better about my GPA for OT school now...I guess I've been premed for so long that I help but worry...haha. What are you thoughts about GRE scores and volunteer experience? A lot of schools say 1000, but I'm not sure how high above 1000 our scores should be.

Also, what kind of OT do you do and what is your day to day experience like? It would be interesting to know. Thanks again!

I just called USC, and their GPA is 3.35 and GRE is 1100. Sweet :)

Thanks for the clarification SuperCota. I had wanted to go to med school, but my health situation makes it impossible to take on such an arduous task and long hours unless there are some crazy breakthroughs in the science world in the future that will allow me to manage my symptoms more easily. I can't even handle a regular 9-5 right now. And no, my situation isn't one of those things that med school/residency would tolerate or understand...it's complicated. For now, I think I will be alright with OT...I definitely like the philosophy though.

I've been around this forum for a while and thanks Supercota for being here to answer questions. I feel better about my GPA for OT school now...I guess I've been premed for so long that I help but worry...haha. What are you thoughts about GRE scores and volunteer experience? A lot of schools say 1000, but I'm not sure how high above 1000 our scores should be.

Also, what kind of OT do you do and what is your day to day experience like? It would be interesting to know. Thanks again!

I'm also curious to hear about what people are doing on the job as experienced OT's. I'm a special ed teacher so my only real experience with it is the school setting. I am really interested in neuro/stroke rehab, along with many other things.

Where else are everyone applying to? Please share..