MS3 newly interested in Plastic Surgery. What is the best resource I could use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDevil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 newly interested in plastics, except I know NOTHING about trying to get into a plastics residency and this forum doesn't seem to have the bare basics. Honestly, all I really know is the difference between an independent program and a integrated plastics residency. Any tips on how to get started? I know this is a really generalized post, but I would really appreciate any (seriously, anything) advice that could get me started on this process. I've tried to go through my medical school, but the department hasn't even responded to any e-mails.

Here are my stats:
Top 10 Medical School
Step 1: 251
Research: No publications now, will have 2 non-plastics surgical publications by the time I apply
Honors/AOA: We don't have honors for 1st or 2nd year. Honors in my first two rotations of 3rd year.

Edit: Charting the Match gives some pretty bleak numbers for applying to Plastics. Just ballparking, how do my chances look for matching with my profile? I'd like to do an Integrated residency if possible, but honestly anything less than 75% matching seems like a pretty big risk.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm an MS3 newly interested in plastics, except I know NOTHING about trying to get into a plastics residency and this forum doesn't seem to have the bare basics. Honestly, all I really know is the difference between an independent program and a integrated plastics residency. Any tips on how to get started? I know this is a really generalized post, but I would really appreciate any (seriously, anything) advice that could get me started on this process. I've tried to go through my medical school, but the department hasn't even responded to any e-mails.

Here are my stats:
Top 10 Medical School
Research: No publications now, will have 2 non-plastics surgical publications by the time I apply
Honors/AOA: We don't have honors for 1st or 2nd year. Honors in my first two rotations of 3rd year.

Edit: Charting the Match gives some pretty bleak numbers for applying to Plastics. Just ballparking, how do my chances look for matching with my profile? I'd like to do an Integrated residency if possible, but honestly anything less than 75% matching seems like a pretty big risk.

Yes, it's very possible but it's pretty much going to be dependent on the relationships you form with plastics attendings (i.e., will they give you advice and support your application). You need to email everyone in the plastics dept until you find someone willing to meet with you. Tell them you're interested in PRS and want to work on a clinical research project, that's usually a good route in and if they don't have anything ask if they know anyone who does. That will get you both hooked into the dept and something to help with your application.

Here are my stats:
Top 10 Medical School

You need mentors to help you through the process. Attendings are great for getting you plugged into research projects and making calls on your behalf, however make sure you get in close with a 4th year or junior resident who has just been through it themselves. Usually they know which attendings are responsive to medical students, what projects are going on, can tell you about various programs/meetings, etc.

When I was an m3 I just emailed people who had gone off to PRS residencies from my school in prior years, and they were awesome about helping me out. Highly suggest trying it, and you can even have one of your deans set up an introduction if that would be more comfortable for you.