MSTP applicant, need to make decision- accepted Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school's interview should I drop?

• Washington University St. Louis

• Stony Brook

• University of Maryland

Results are only viewable after voting.

ScottishCellist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post so bear with me! Been interviewing at MSTP programs, specifically for genetics/human genomics/developmental biology. In terms of medical fields, considering ophthalmology. Super excited to get an acceptance from Mount Sinai :)

My question now is: of my remaining interviews (Washington University St. Louis tomorrow, Stony Brook next week, then University of Maryland in February), how do their genetics/human genomics/developmental biology programs compare to Mount Sinai? If any are glaringly weak compared to Mount Sinai, I would consider withdrawing my application. Not as important but still relevant, is how strong their medical programs are in ophthalmology.

For context, I have interviewed at (from oldest to most recent): UMichigan, Pitt (rejected), UVA, Mount Sinai (accepted), Northwestern, and Yale. One PI at Yale was very candid, said Mount Sinai has more hard money and resources and better human genomics/genetics than Yale. This made me wonder how other schools compare too. My girlfriend's applying for PhD programs in microbio at Pitt, Emory, UVA, University of Maryland. University of Maryland is both of our state school.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Yale is the best program out of the batch. WashU is a very large MSTP with great resources. Mount Sinai is well respected, but will always be overshadowed by Columbia and Cornell. That being said, huge difference living in subsidized housing in UES Manhattan vs. New Haven/St. Louis. In the end pick what attracts you the most lifestyle wise. 7-8 years is a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile