MSTP wailist dynamics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, how likely is it to get accepted from the waitlist for an MSTP? I know for MD programs there is often a good amount of waitlist movement, but MSTP programs are often much smaller so I was wondering if it is actually likely to be accepted off the waitlist or if programs just waitlist people as a courtesy instead of rejection.

Members don't see this ad.

my impression is that there is more movement at the MSTPs than at the MD programs; MSTPs have small programs, those accepted typically hold several acceptances, so it moves more (percentage-wise) per each person who declines (as people decide where they will attend). Of note, I don't have any real data to back this up, so take it with a grain of salt (though I imagine a quick gander at AAMC tables would suffice to answer your question, both in terms of percentage difference and absolute numbers/applicants)

Reactions: 1 user
Like most things, this is variable.

Many schools will not release waitlist numbers to MD/PhD applicants because there is no reliable way to interpret them. You could be #1 on the waitlist, but that doesn't matter if everyone is keeping their acceptance. Alternately, you could be #10-20 and get in if most people decide they would rather train at another program. I'm sure program directors and some administrators have this data, but most students/applicants are very much in the dark.

To add more complexity, some schools require that applicants be accepted to both the MD/Phd and MD programs independently which may mean that the entire list gets held up if a prime MD/PhD candidate is stuck on the MD waitlist. I think this is becoming less common, but it happened to 2 of my classmates and myself during our application cycle and it was exactly as frustrating as it sounds. I actually accepted an MD-only spot so that I wouldn't be locked into another MD/PhD program with a June 1st start date. Ultimately it worked and I got into my first choice school at the end of June, but it was still a headache.

Reactions: 2 users
Like most things, this is variable.

Many schools will not release waitlist numbers to MD/PhD applicants because there is no reliable way to interpret them. You could be #1 on the waitlist, but that doesn't matter if everyone is keeping their acceptance. Alternately, you could be #10-20 and get in if most people decide they would rather train at another program. I'm sure program directors and some administrators have this data, but most students/applicants are very much in the dark.

To add more complexity, some schools require that applicants be accepted to both the MD/Phd and MD programs independently which may mean that the entire list gets held up if a prime MD/PhD candidate is stuck on the MD waitlist. I think this is becoming less common, but it happened to 2 of my classmates and myself during our application cycle and it was exactly as frustrating as it sounds. I actually accepted an MD-only spot so that I wouldn't be locked into another MD/PhD program with a June 1st start date. Ultimately it worked and I got into my first choice school at the end of June, but it was still a headache.

It seems to be a systemic problem, since you and others often find out their (final) fates so late in the game. Boo.