MSTP WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! :)
I really really really want to shoot for an MD/PhD. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I can do to improve my application. I have about a year and a half left before I apply.

Here are my stats:
I go to a small LAC. GPA: 3.99; haven't taken the MCAT yet. Strong LORs.
Scribe, TA/tutor, Hospital Volunteer, Hospice Volunteer, Church Volunteer, and President of medical charity club, Music Teacher. Some departmental awards, shadowing.

Biochem Research at home institution:
Since freshman year in one lab (1 year so far). 15 hours/ week. Included summer and winter breaks. No breaks but no publications yet either. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll have one.

Summer Program
This summer I got accepted to a program at a really small school close to my home institution. I talked to the PI (he's also my friend) and he's not exactly sure what experiments he wants to do yet. Not the most focused person in the world so I'm slightly concerned.... but he says he's hopeful about publishing.

I will be working both in this school's lab and the one at my home institution. It'll be about 50 to 60 hours a week of work.

Is this stuff enough to be competitive for a MSTP? Should I go get a master's degree to get a more "formal" research education? Should I take a year off to really focus on this research? Should I still apply MSTP if I don't have a single publication? ( I do have a lot of poster presentation and oral presentation experience at numerous conferences though)

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-15_21-19-12.png
    upload_2015-5-15_21-19-12.png
    95 bytes · Views: 41