MSW in Candidacy status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloe333

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm considering attending a MSW program that is currently in the process of becoming an accredited program. Candidacy status has been granted by CSWE. They say that they will get accreditation after the first class graduates and the accreditation is retroactive.
Is it "safe" to attend such a program? They say that they will be accredited for sure, it just takes time. So I don't know if this is a big deal? Please share your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not simply attend an established program? Does your geographic area not have ANY accredited MSW programs? Lack of accreditation is always a "big deal" although if they get it AND they're telling the truth about it being "retroactive," then I suppose you'd be okay, but it still makes more sense for employers to hire an MSW from a program they have heard of and know produces good graduates.

Has anybody here attended a MSW program in Candidacy status? Or know someone who has? Thank you.