Much Needed LOR Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msm154

Reaction score
Question answered

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry for the very specific question, but I am not sure how to proceed

To preface, I have had nothing but pleasant interactions with my work supervisor (nurse manager). They have complimented my work and gave me a good work evaluation earlier in the year.

So a school told me they could not accept the letter from my work supervisor because it was submitted upside down. At work, I tell them about the issue and they happily agreed to fix it but wanted my help because they could not figure it out. Since I was helping them, I obviously saw some of the letter. There was nothing but good things mentioned throughout. However, the last sentence ended essentially with "I recommend WITH reservation".

I am assuming they meant to say "without reservation" since nothing about our interactions or relationship would suggest that she would mention anything negative. I'm nervous how adcoms would proceed when a letter says something like this so my question is: Is this worth bringing up to my boss to politely clarify if that is what they meant and possibly change it? Or do I just let it be and leave it up to the adcoms to interpret within the context of the whole letter?
I would let them know that you accidentally saw part of the letter and ask them to change it only if it was a mistake. It's very rare and detrimental for an applicant to be recommended with any reservations. If it was not a mistake, then count your blessings and stop using this letter for future submissions/cycles. Just my thoughts.

If this is a work supervisor letter, FERPA is not in play. But you should be able to all your specialty to correct that sentence.

That said it would be curious to read a glowing letter with such a concluding sentence. I would expect someone from admissions to call the reference to confirm this was/not a mistake.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just talked to them and it was a mistake. So the letter has been fixed and re-uploaded to AMCAS. Unfortunately, I do not think there is a way to re-upload the letter to AACOMAS since my application is complete and verified.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I did give them a call. They said I would have to reach out to each individual school and see if they would take the updated letter. Seems very odd to me that AACOMAS doesn't allow that