mudphud needs advice for residency after failing step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daoudmudphud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm an md/phd student who i failed step 1 twice before finally passing, with a score that's frankly not great (210).

i'm now in the lab and things are well.

the recent match day has obviously made me think about my own residency matching chances.

in short, i'd like to get advice about particular things i can do to make my profile more appealing to residency programs (i don't know for sure, but i'm thinking internal medicine, ob-gyn or gen surg -- yes pretty indefinite...).

i feel like i'm the only mudphud to have failed step 1, not only once but twice, so i don't expect anyone to be in my situation; but if you have a similar experience, and have now made it to the other side, your advice is particularly appreciated.

thanks and congrats to those who matched.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm afraid that this will be an uphill battle, but I would try to get supportive mentors now in all the specialties that you're potentially interested in. I would specifically try get to know folks involved in making residency decisions or who have recently gone through the process to give you a better idea of where you stand. I would start
building relationships with them, and ask them for their best advice. Get your MD-PhD program director involved as well, as long as he/she is a clinician, is supportive but realistic, and knows how the system works.

This will be a big roadblock for your application, but if anything will get you over it, one aspect will be good mentorship and connections in the field who will give you a chance to demonstrate your clinical skills.

I would also do some root cause analysis on what happened with your prior attempts. Were things going on in your family/personal life that you had no control about, but that are now better? Was it not enough time to study? Panic on test day? Try to figure these out now and work on them before you come back to clinics. Unfortunately, there will be plenty more such tests along this road, but another way to improve your application will be to take Step II early and knock it out of the park on the first try, before residency season.

Good luck!

Last edited:
thanks for the advice, notably knocking out step 2 out of the park early

yes, there was a particular set of problems compounding one another. i'm not one to make excuses, and neither will the residency programs. in any case, those problems have been addressed, and hopefully nothing like that or worse will occur again.

so you think that it's all about the personal connections at this point for me?
i go to school at a pretty sweet ivy league school. the med school dean and the md/phd program have both been very supportive. however, i don't know how they can be more helpful. and secondly, how do you advise making those mentors in say internal medicine now as i am in my lab years? i'm sure i can piggy back on rounds once or twice, but is that something that you really do?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fortunate to have the PhD and the research opportunity. Ultimately, your research could help you get into residency (especially if you have several publications) and if you offer to help with research + publications during residency.

i go to school at a pretty sweet ivy league school. the med school dean and the md/phd program have both been very supportive. however, i don't know how they can be more helpful. and secondly, how do you advise making those mentors in say internal medicine now as i am in my lab years? i'm sure i can piggy back on rounds once or twice, but is that something that you really do?

Maybe seeing patients in their clinic with them once every few weeks? It doesn't have to be a huge time commitment, just something to show your interest and also to help you get to know the person. Even if you can't see patients with them, it could be an informal mentorship - just someone you meet with once in a while to touch base. This person could be an attending that gave you basic science lectures/small groups that you connected with, etc.

I don't think it's all about connections, but coming from your top-tier school, they will certainly be helpful. When the time comes, you will want to put in a very strong effort on the clinical wards (see the re-entering clinics threads) and, after that, get a good score on Step 2.

Your research experience will definitely help an otherwise stronger application further, but I'm afraid even a few Nature papers alone will probably not make up for the Step 1.

You already have one significant weakness in your app, so my general advice is to make the rest of your app as strong as possible.

First, you will want to do well in your PhD, especially assuming that you plan to apply to research-oriented residency programs. Make sure that you and your PI are on the same page concerning your graduate program. Check in regularly with him/her and with your committee members so that there aren't any "surprises" when it comes time to defend.

Second, spend some time in clinic if you can. I know you haven't done rotations yet, but see if you can at least get a feel for whether you want to do a surgical versus nonsurgical specialty. This will allow you to do some networking with faculty in that area like nothingman suggested.

Third, when you hit the wards for third year, you need to honor as many rotations as you possibly can, and *especially* the rotations in whatever specialty you want to enter. Find out ahead of time how your school grades clinical rotations. Some schools put a lot of emphasis on shelf exams, while others care more about clinical performance. You need to know what your school does so that you can expend your time and energy in the most productive way.

Fourth, as nothingman said, take both parts of Step 2 early, but only after you have done some serious self-reflection about what went wrong during your Step 1 attempts. For Step 2CK, make sure you take several practice exams, and do not take the real test until you are sure that you can pass it on the first attempt. The good news is that most people do better on CK than they do on Step 1. But for you more than most people, a strong showing on CK is essential. You also need to prepare for the OSCE portion of Step 2 (Step 2CS) to ensure that you pass that on the first try. It's not a hard test, but you will want to read over the rules and some sample cases before you take it.

Fifth, your school may require you to do one or more acting internships during your fourth year of med school. Even if they don't require any AIs, you should still do at least one. This will give you a chance to show off your clinical skills and to take on more responsibility than what you do as a third year student. Again, you will want to find out ahead of time what the grading system is for your AI so that you can apportion your time appropriately to maximize your chances of getting an Honors grade.

Sixth, when it comes time to apply, make sure that you have a good mentor to walk you through the process. Ideally, this will be someone in your own specialty. The dept. chairman or PD of the residency program at your school can be a good choice, as can a junior faculty who recently went through the process themselves. Try to get a mentor of each type if you can. The advantage of choosing a more senior person is that they are likely to have connections and be able to make calls on your behalf. The good thing about a more junior faculty is that they're in a better position to advise you on the nuts and bolts of actually applying.

Finally, you are not the first MD/PhD student this has happened to, and you won't be the last. Most people who fail Step 1 are reluctant to talk about it with their close associates, let alone post it on SDN for the whole world to read. While multiple Step 1 attempts are not a great thing to have on your record, it's not going to automatically sink any hopes you ever had of gaining a residency spot, either. Try to use this setback as a learning experience that will help you perform better in the future. The most important thing is for you to do well from now on, so that your Step 1 experience is a performance aberration and not a pattern.

Hope this helps, and best of luck. :)

thanks, qofquímica, for the well wishes and taking the time to thoroughly answer.

one thing that you and other people have brought up and that i had not thought about hitherto, is mentors: people in my putative future field of interest who will help me in some way overcome this signifiant weakness.

at my school, we have advisory deans (and i have a good relationship with mine) who play the role of mentors. i get the feeling that the mentor should be someone in your medical/surgical field of interest, who can, in some way, pull strings for you basically.

so should this mentor be someone who was a clinical mentor, or is it more important that this person and i have a personal connection, regardless of whether s/he has known me through clinical shadowing, etc ?

so should this mentor be someone who was a clinical mentor, or is it more important that this person and i have a personal connection, regardless of whether s/he has known me through clinical shadowing, etc ?
There's no reason why it has to be either/or. In fact, I firmly believe that one mentor will not be able to help you in every facet of your career development. You should have a few mentors, because you basically need help with a few things. First, you want to maximize your performance for the rest of the time that you're in grad school and med school. This requires really doing your homework and being prepared. Your advisory dean would be a great person for that. Second, you have your research mentor, who will specifically be helping you in grad school. Finally, you want one or two people to help you get into your specialty of choice. Here, you will be better served by finding a mentor in that particular specialty. I mean, if your dean is an internist and you decide to do OB/gyn, there will be limits as to what s/he can do to help you make contacts in your field.

I failed my step 1 twice as well...67 followed by a 73. Been feeling really down and depressed and now im trying to get back into the groove of things. However sometimes i just feel like i should quit. I wanna know what my chances are for getting into family medicine residency if I really improved my score the third time.. Really need some advice and motivation

hey jackie,
trust me i know how you must be feeling. take the time to mourn but don't dwell on it. i found it useful to talk to people who had been in similar situations as myself and ended up succeeding (ask your dean or your student advisor to put you in touch with such students, e.g, by giving them your contact info so they can willingly disclose who they are to you). i also found it useful to surround myself with people who are taking it and are studying for it. finally, i also found that because of the shame, the guilt, and all the loser feelings i was going through, i had to relocate. so to accomplish this, i joined a prep course (think falcon, pass program or kaplan, although there may be more) and it helped tremendously.
this is a very difficult time inn your life, and i don't know you enough to comfort you without sounding cliché, but please do not give up. if this is what you want, then find the strength to get it done. trust me, you wouldn't have gotten where you are had you not been worth it. pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get it done.
good luck.

Daoud, sorry this happened and glad to hear you eventually passed. You have already gotten some great advice. It sounds like you are going to land on your feet, not only because you have rebounded from this adverse event, but also because you sound like a really decent and thoughtful person, which is an underappreciated asset and a hard one to fake.

In my relatively selective residency program (possibly at your own institution, definitely at a similar one), we interviewed all sorts of candidates--high scores, low scores, MD/PhD or not, famous med school or not--and grades/scores were seldom the deciding factor. More important were commitment to the specialty, understanding the specialty, showing emotional maturity and showing the ability to take advantages of the resources we have. As chief I interviewed plenty of people with incredible scores, but who were still not good candidates for the training program. And many with some blip on their record who we thought were still superb candidates.

Don't let this step 1 thing affect your residency choice. When you do apply, fill out the "bottom" of your list a little more with some less selective programs.

People mentioned having mentors in your field. An additional reason to develop these is that staying at your own institution may well be your best option (true regardless of step scores, but especially if you do end up having trouble getting in the door at other places). If people in the department know and like you, that will be helpful. Especially if one of those people is the residency director in your chosen specialty. I'm not saying to constantly suck up to that person, but do try to have an ongoing thoughtful conversation with him/her about your career in Pediatric Basketweaving.

thanks a lot ombret for the words of wisdom and encouragement!