PhD/PsyD Multiple apps same school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostongal109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-
I was hoping someone could answer a question I've been concerned about. Does it look bad to apply to both a clinical psych phd program and a counseling psych phd program at the same school? Some schools have these programs in separate departments (ed and psych) and others are in the same program. Does this make a difference? I don't want to get my application tossed because I applied to both but they are quite similar. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen schools that offer prospective students the opportunity to apply to multiple programs in the same university. I feel like that if a school offers the opportunity to apply to both, they are indirectly saying that it is okay to do so. I also don't think that departments consult each other on whether to admit a certain applicant, so they might not even know that you applied to both unless you tell them.

I doubt it would get your application tossed outright. If you have research and clinical interest matches with professors in both programs, I can see how it would make sense to apply to both. You'll probably just have to field questions about said interests.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they are in different departments, they would probably never know. If you were to get interviews at both, you'd probably want to tell them so you don't have to travel to interview there twice, though...
If they are in the same department, it would be fine so long as there is obvious overlap. Otherwise it would look as weird as putting two POIs with super different interests in one application.

Perfect! Thank you all so much for the insight. Glad I asked :)