Multiple mini interviews: what do the schools want to hear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEE ADAMA WILLIAMS

Reaction score
One of the most frustrating aspects of the pharmacy school interview process is the MMI's it seems to be VERY AMBIGUOUS in terms of what they ask and the parameters within which one can answer them. So my question is this: what do they want to hear? Do they want us to answer the scenario within the confines of the question? or is it acceptable/advisable to answer "outside the box"?

Lets say one of the scenarios is "You have the last remaining supply of drug X which treats disease Y do you give the drug to:
A. a researcher of disease Y

B. a gifted child

C. a father of 4

D. a 12 year old autistic person

The question does not state I am limited in time, availability of resources, or other various information so I stated that I would just have the drug reverse engineered myself and treat everyone.

For my friends I have shared this scenario with they state that I would arguably piss off the person interviewing me bc Im not answering what they asked. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you should not obsess over what the "right answer" is for a given scenario, especially an ethical dilemma like this. They are usually testing for things like your thought process when answering a question, your personality and compassion, evidence that you can think through a difficult situation etc.

For this question, as long as you don't come across as argumentative I think it is okay to ask for clarifications or think outside the box. The scenario should have been written (and possibly tested by hundreds of other applicants before you) to not be so ambiguous that you are confused before entering it. Put yourself in their shoes... is there anything really wrong with the question as written? They could just as easily have changed these four options to many others.

Your answer sounds nice, but I hope you expanded on how/why you chose what you did. Walking in and just saying "I would just cure everyone since you didn't say I couldn't" without explanation would of course be kind of a cop-out. If they wanted you to just pick one after hearing your idea, they could have followed up with something like "Let's say you do not have the time/resources to cure everyone, now which would you pick?"

Also remember for MMIs it is possible to "mess up" in one room but do well in the others and still be a competitive candidate overall.

Reactions: 1 user
pick one and be able to defend your answer. Don't use the cop out answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the most frustrating aspects of the pharmacy school interview process is the MMI's it seems to be VERY AMBIGUOUS in terms of what they ask and the parameters within which one can answer them. So my question is this: what do they want to hear? Do they want us to answer the scenario within the confines of the question? or is it acceptable/advisable to answer "outside the box"?

Lets say one of the scenarios is "You have the last remaining supply of drug X which treats disease Y do you give the drug to:
A. a researcher of disease Y

B. a gifted child

C. a father of 4

D. a 12 year old autistic person

The question does not state I am limited in time, availability of resources, or other various information so I stated that I would just have the drug reverse engineered myself and treat everyone.

For my friends I have shared this scenario with they state that I would arguably piss off the person interviewing me bc Im not answering what they asked. What do you think?

Your answer doesn't matter. What matters is your reasoning and how you can communicate your point. I don't believe it hurts to ask follow up questions before giving an answer but in the end they want to see how much of an independent thinker you are. I can say any of those answers but if my reasoning isn't explained then a red flag will be sure to hit me by the end of the session.

They want to hear that you qualify for $200k+ in student loans.

Reactions: 2 users
could i say the 12 year old because they statistically will have the longest life expectancy and potential to enter the work force or would i sound like an idiot?

You should have said the father of 4 but under the condition that he send his 4 kids to their pharmacy school program. I bet they would have accepted you on the spot. $$$

• Haha
i remember reading this thread a while ago and i actually found a youtube video that covers a realllly similar scenario!

except it's about kidney transplant, and the patients are 80 year old university professor and 20 year old university student. goes over how how to approach this type of question and the things you want to cover in your response.

In that case, you could have just said you would order more and just treat the first person to come in first. You may as well not answer at all and just talk about the weather since you are missing the point.