Multiple Openings at Same Company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hearditfromfiver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to graduate next month and am currently on the job hunt. At this point I am more interested in working for a specific company or larger hospital network that has a good reputation for patient care (aka not completely money and productivity focused) than a specific job setting. In the city I am looking at there is a larger university-based hospital system I would love to work for. Two days ago I applied for an opening with them in an outpatient setting for cervical/lumbar pain and general orthopedics which I think I would be well suited for based on my outpatient clinical experiences. Another opening was just posted for an Acute Care therapist which I feel I would also be well suited for based on my acute care/IRF experience.

I really want to work for this company, but I don't want to come off as desperate or unfocused in my job hunt. Graduating as a generalist, I think we are in a unique position to be able to take our careers in any direction. I loved both my inpatient and my outpatient rotations and could see myself going either way. Has anyone had any experience applying to more than one job for a larger hospital network and how did that go? I'll take any suggestions really, I don't want to blow my chances for both positions by applying for both jobs simultaneously with very different skill sets. Would it be better to just wait until I call next week, as I was intending on doing, and find out if they're even considering me as a candidate for the outpatient position?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, these large organizations are very segmented, so the outpatient clinic and the acute care department probably have different recruiters. That recruiter will only work the job requisitions for their department and has no incentive to share your application with another department.
If these are online applications (like TALEO), then I recommend that you apply to both. While the recruiter might notice that you applied to more than one position, the hiring manager will probably never see that information.
The hiring manager decides who to interview and often they only consider the first 6 or 8 applications that the recruiter forwards to them because the hiring process is a huge burden on their time.
Also, use Linkedin to try to figure out who the hiring manager is and attempt to make some sort of contact to let them know that you are interested in their open position. It is very easy for your application to get lost in these huge online application systems. The recruiter does the first review on the applications and often may send the hiring manager only those that meet some obscure criteria that guarantees that your application will never make it in. If you make a good impression on the hiring manager, they will ask the recruiter to pull your application specifically.
If you know someone that already works for the organization, they can also identify the hiring manager and send an email recommending that they review your application. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think about the process that way.