Multiple State Licenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know different states have different licensing requirements, exams, fees, etc. and that's a pain, but if you go to a good APA school, APA internship, good postdoc... What stops you from getting licensed in 10 states, 20 states? Is there anything ethically or professionally from you setting up things with colleagues where you Winter in New Mexico, Spring in Colorado, Summer in California, and Autumn in Connecticut?

Only thing I think of is... maybe some states require that you live in the state where you practice?

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I know different states have different licensing requirements, exams, fees, etc. and that's a pain, but if you go to a good APA school, APA internship, good postdoc... What stops you from getting licensed in 10 states, 20 states? Is there anything ethically or professionally from you setting up things with colleagues where you Winter in New Mexico, Spring in Colorado, Summer in California, and Autumn in Connecticut?

Only thing I think of is... maybe some states require that you live in the state where you practice?

Just curious.

There would be exceedingly few advantages to being licensed in that many different states. Costs would be issue for me, as would keeping up with varying CE requirments.

I am licesned in 3 states, however.

I'm pretty sure that would be fine. I know people who live close to the state line who are licensed in multiple states. I know a doc with a house in FL and in his home state who is licensed in both. I think that there are some nationwide services geared to make licensure reciproticy easier.

http://www.nationalregister.org/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting! Thanks!

Is there anything ethically or professionally from you setting up things with colleagues where you Winter in New Mexico, Spring in Colorado, Summer in California, and Autumn in Connecticut?

I know this is hypothetical, but if you were actually going to change your practice location on a seasonal basis I would assume you were doing time-limited or contract work and had arrangements for coverage, records storage, etc. for the rest of the year.

I can't see the benefit of being licensed in 10 or 20 jurisdictions, unless perhaps you're doing a lot of telepsychology practice in those states. But with each state having its own take on consent requirements, mandatory reporting, and so forth, that's a lot to keep up with. At some point trying to adhere to and reconcile so many different standards becomes a risk management issue.

Being licensed in 2-3 states isn't unheard of…but probably pretty rare compared to all licensed psychologists. I was licensed in 2 states and let my other state licensure lapse because I didn't want to pay for it w/o realistically planning to "working" up there. There are CEU requirements in most (but not all!) states, so that is an added expense.

The people I've seen w. multiple active state licenses tend to work in border areas (e.g. NY/NJ), do a lot of forensic work (e.g. CA, NY in particular), and/or spend a significant amount of time living/working in another state (e.g. semi-retired and split their time between the Northeast and FL). The handful of people I know who do this are all assessment only types, so they don't have "ongoing" responsibilities of weekly/monthly patients.

Forensics or consultation-style assessment practices are the ones that spring to mind for me. I can't imagine someone doing traditional outpatient therapy finding this practical. They could do it from a licensure standpoint....I just can't imagine any setup where it would be logical or remotely worthwhile.

Slow down--you haven't even started grad school yet! Licensure requirements could very well change in the next 5-7 years. The only thing I can think to recommend would be to maybe keep syllabi for your classes, in addition to getting an APA-accredited internship.

Slow down--you haven't even started grad school yet! Licensure requirements could very well change in the next 5-7 years. The only thing I can think to recommend would be to maybe keep syllabi for your classes, in addition to getting an APA-accredited internship.
I was just curious! :) Doesn't hurt to take a look and be prepared, but yes keeping syllabi is a great idea. In case I want to get license in a state that requires specific coursework in specific topics. I think California requires coursework in domestic abuse, LGBT, and 2 or 3 other things specifically to get licensed

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS. Could someone PLEASE HELP ME with this question: I feel like I should understand the whole licensing process better but I am genuinely VERY CONFUSED.

Here is my situation: I have completed my postdoc and have fulfilled all licensure requirements for most states. I am doing a regional job search in New England and I also want to get licensed in a couple other states in case I need to move. Here is my question: I've looked at the applications for multiple states and I see that many states offer reciprocity after 5 years. BUT if I get licensed in State A, work there for only 2 years, and then need to move, will I be able to get licensed in other states? Or do I need to do my best to predict which states I'll need licensure for and open up a number of applications simultaneously, so that I can claim "New Applicant" status on all applications? (that seems ridiculous, but if that's the reality, I need to know ahead of time!)

THANK YOU!!

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS. Could someone PLEASE HELP ME with this question: I feel like I should understand the whole licensing process better but I am genuinely VERY CONFUSED.

Here is my situation: I have completed my postdoc and have fulfilled all licensure requirements for most states. I am doing a regional job search in New England and I also want to get licensed in a couple other states in case I need to move. Here is my question: I've looked at the applications for multiple states and I see that many states offer reciprocity after 5 years. BUT if I get licensed in State A, work there for only 2 years, and then need to move, will I be able to get licensed in other states? Or do I need to do my best to predict which states I'll need licensure for and open up a number of applications simultaneously, so that I can claim "New Applicant" status on all applications? (that seems ridiculous, but if that's the reality, I need to know ahead of time!)

THANK YOU!!
If you get licensed in a certain state (and everything else is kosher, apa internship/postdoc/program, etc) there wont be problems beyond whatever ridiculous fee you'll have to pay. I looked at moving for a job after being licensed a year.. and it was not a problem.

OTOH, as much of a fan as I am of the national register (as mentioned above) they dont do all that much. I emailed them about this and they basically said they send a letter to the new state saying 'Dr bmedclinic is licensed in state X, has been so for Y years and did his training at these places and has banked his hours with us.". FWIW they do offer decent CE's, which is why mostly why I've retained my membership with them.

Unless you will be working in an area where working in multiple states is common (NYC/Tri-State, Quad Cities, etc), you shouldn't bother with getting licensed in multiple states. There are fees for each state, different continuing ed credit requirements, etc. It's a hassle to do.

If you have to move states, then there is a process to apply. Some states make it easy, particularly if you have been licensed for at least 5yrs….and then other states like TX/NY/FL/CA take a bit more planning but are still manageable.

One thing anyone should be aware of: When you are getting credentialed in a facility, getting deposed in a legal setting, dealing with a board complaint, getting malpractice insurance, or other official setting interaction: one of the standard questions is, "Have you ever lost a license, resigned a license, etc". Any of those are going to be looked upon with mild suspicion.