Program-Specific Info / Q's Murphy Deming Summer 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdOT17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in my application on the 6th of October and received an email from them saying they received my app on the 10th. It has been over a month and I emailed the admissions counselor there to ask her what the timeline was since it is rolling admission and I have heard nothing. Just getting a gauge from other people to see what they have experienced this application cycle. It is a rolling admission school so I was thinking it might be kind of weird to go a month without hearing anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent in my application on August 22nd, received the email that they had my application on August 31st, received an invitation to interview on October 18th, my interview was on November 5th, and I just got a phone call yesterday. So I went about 2 months without hearing anything after submitting my application. Hope this is helpful!

Ok! Thanks so much for the information! That was helpful in not feeling alone! :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my application on August 22nd, received the email that they had my application on August 31st, received an invitation to interview on October 18th, my interview was on November 5th, and I just got a phone call yesterday. So I went about 2 months without hearing anything after submitting my application. Hope this is helpful!

I have an interview with them December 3rd and I was wondering if you have any tips. You also said that you received a phone call and was curious if they tell you if you were accepted or not. Thanks!!

I have an interview with them December 3rd and I was wondering if you have any tips. You also said that you received a phone call and was curious if they tell you if you were accepted or not. Thanks!!

How long did it take for you to receive the invitation for interview? It has almost been 2 months for me so I was just curious. I might call after the holiday is over on Monday

First of all, congratulations on your interview! Murphy Deming's faculty are really some of the best. If you haven't met them before, you'll see what I mean on interview day.

The interviews are really just a conversation about occupational therapy and you (as a student/person/future OT). At this point you already know what you love about OT, what makes it a great career choice for you, how you handle stress/conflict/schoolwork, your definition of occupational therapy, and what your opportunities for improvement (weaknesses) are so you should have no problem answering those. Also have questions prepared for them, at least four or five in case they answer some at any point throughout the day. These are basic interview questions many programs ask, which they have to do since the interviews are blind in format.

In preparing for my interview, I found lists of interview questions on various grad school programs' websites (even medical school and PT programs) and watched a LOT of YouTube videos other students have posted about how they prepared for grad school interviews (not really a lot of videos on OT programs specifically). Everything, even the simple stuff like how to dress. I also met with my advisor at my current university and she did a "mock interview" with me just to help me practice answering those questions in that type of setting instead of me just writing them down or going over them in my head. This helped a lot, she helped me improve my responses to better get my point across (sometimes my responses sounded disorganized even though I knew what I was trying to say, but I'd rather have that happen with an advisor/boss/parent/significant other and be able to fix it than have it happen with the interviewer).

One of the most helpful tips I found suggested to actually write down your answers to potential questions and also your questions for the program on the very last page of a notepad (or whatever you bring to write on, I found a nice portfolio at Target). I also brought the notes I took during all of my observation hours. Even though I didn't look at them during my interviews, it was nice to have in the downtime throughout the day and before/in between interviews to keep everything fresh in my mind. If anything, it helped me feel more confident and less nervous knowing I had all of it there if I wanted to quickly glance through it.

To answer your question about the phone call, yes they called little over a week after the interview to let me know I had been accepted! I apologize that this is such a long response, but these are all the things I wish someone had told me before I interviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First of all, congratulations on your interview! Murphy Deming's faculty are really some of the best. If you haven't met them before, you'll see what I mean on interview day.

The interviews are really just a conversation about occupational therapy and you (as a student/person/future OT). At this point you already know what you love about OT, what makes it a great career choice for you, how you handle stress/conflict/schoolwork, your definition of occupational therapy, and what your opportunities for improvement (weaknesses) are so you should have no problem answering those. Also have questions prepared for them, at least four or five in case they answer some at any point throughout the day. These are basic interview questions many programs ask, which they have to do since the interviews are blind in format.

In preparing for my interview, I found lists of interview questions on various grad school programs' websites (even medical school and PT programs) and watched a LOT of YouTube videos other students have posted about how they prepared for grad school interviews (not really a lot of videos on OT programs specifically). Everything, even the simple stuff like how to dress. I also met with my advisor at my current university and she did a "mock interview" with me just to help me practice answering those questions in that type of setting instead of me just writing them down or going over them in my head. This helped a lot, she helped me improve my responses to better get my point across (sometimes my responses sounded disorganized even though I knew what I was trying to say, but I'd rather have that happen with an advisor/boss/parent/significant other and be able to fix it than have it happen with the interviewer).

One of the most helpful tips I found suggested to actually write down your answers to potential questions and also your questions for the program on the very last page of a notepad (or whatever you bring to write on, I found a nice portfolio at Target). I also brought the notes I took during all of my observation hours. Even though I didn't look at them during my interviews, it was nice to have in the downtime throughout the day and before/in between interviews to keep everything fresh in my mind. If anything, it helped me feel more confident and less nervous knowing I had all of it there if I wanted to quickly glance through it.

To answer your question about the phone call, yes they called little over a week after the interview to let me know I had been accepted! I apologize that this is such a long response, but these are all the things I wish someone had told me before I interviewed.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this and hopefully all goes well on my interview!

How long did it take for you to receive the invitation for interview? It has almost been 2 months for me so I was just curious. I might call after the holiday is over on Monday

I submitted 10/22 and I received an invite via email on 11/21. So it was 1 month. Hope you hear from them soon!

I submitted 10/22 and I received an invite via email on 11/21. So it was 1 month. Hope you hear from them soon![/

Thanks so much! Yeah I will call them tomorrow to see what's going on!

@tcOTD17 Do you know if we have to get there before our interview time?

About 10 minutes before the time they've given you would be fine! You won't interview as soon as you get there. They will do an introduction to the school then you'll break off into groups by program, and then eventually individual interviews.