Must-have Neuro pocketbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCC27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What booklets do you guys carry in your white coats pocketbook - med student or resident?

The yellow Pocket Neurology has tons of info but its heavy, bulky, and $50. Has great reviews but when residents are asked, no one really uses it.

Johns Hopkins guide is all paragraph format so I'm not sure it will be helpful in clutch moments

Neurology Rapid Response is very light, $9, useful for emergent situations with every minor detail you need. Doesnt have neurosurgical emergencies but that is what the eBay page describes. Hearing great reviews, imaging review is fantastic. got a free copy with my Case Western interview last week. Junior residents actually use it quite a bit.

Washington manual survival guide also has tons of info but again heavy, bulky and $50. Rarely seen in anyone's pockets but once again, its doesnt appear to get used alot.

Why do ppl carry big booklets when everyone practically goes on UpToDate?

Members don't see this ad.

What booklets do you guys carry in your white coats pocketbook - med student or resident?

The yellow Pocket Neurology has tons of info but its heavy, bulky, and $50. Has great reviews but when residents are asked, no one really uses it.

Johns Hopkins guide is all paragraph format so I'm not sure it will be helpful in clutch moments

Neurology Rapid Response is very light, $9, useful for emergent situations with every minor detail you need. Doesnt have neurosurgical emergencies but that is what the eBay page describes. Hearing great reviews, imaging review is fantastic. got a free copy with my Case Western interview last week. Junior residents actually use it quite a bit.

Washington manual survival guide also has tons of info but again heavy, bulky and $50. Rarely seen in anyone's pockets but once again, its doesnt appear to get used alot.

Why do ppl carry big booklets when everyone practically goes on UpToDate?

I never liked UpToDate for some reason. Preferred MedLink Neurology: http://www.medlink.com/medlinkcontent.asp.

As a rule, the older I got, the less I carried in my pockets. I did use a doctor's bag for instruments, though.

The Greenberg Handbook for Neurosurgery was good. I also used the Washington manual, Neurology In A Page, or the Mass General Handbook as a junior resident. Not all four at once, but at various intervals depending on need. I am an admitted bibliophile, though.

Heavy? Bulky? We must not be speaking about the same thing. It is <300 pages and I have no problems carrying it in my coat. If you are worried about that, get the kindle version for your smartphone or tablet.

I was able to purchase mine for ~$35 new, so you can definitely find it cheaper than $50.

Residents here definitely use it. As daniel mentioned, the response you get can often be due to the various intervals being dependent upon need.

Members don't see this ad :)
No way! We must have interviewed together at Case. I got the Neuro Rapid Response for free too. Must say, initially I was just brown nosing nodding along with the resident who made it, but after I looked through it, I actually bought 3 copies for my buddies from eBay. Like a Maxwells for neuro.

I used to carry the yellow book but like NCC27 said, I rarely use it. Have no room in my pockets for the tons of papers I carry. UpToDate is very thorough.

Hopkins neurology residency manual is actually money. Did a sub-I there as a medical student and got a copy. Actually a well thought out pocket book, although a little on the thick side.

I have the JHU book too. I loved it in the beginning but realized that I wasn't actually using it. Check out the rapid response booklet, it is pure algorithms and images.

I feel as though a cross b/w a study guide and emergency neuro guide is always completely useless. Just sits in your pocket or shelf

So I decided to check out this neuro rapid response booklet because of all the sudden hooplah over it. Surprised to see a tiny 30pg booklet claiming to cover all neurological emergencies but it is PACKED with details. Have to say, fantastic book, here is my review:

Pros:
- status page is hands down the best page in the booklet. EVERY single detail you need to deal with status. management w/o IV access is gold
- myasthenia gravis page has a table of contraindicated medication list that is very helpful but more importantly, it has a table on how to manage pneumonia in a MG pt - not found online!
- meningitis page with table on when exactly to use dex
- also has meningitis tx in pt's with PCN and vanc allergies
- procedure tips like words of wisdom from seniors is great
- imaging basics with 'I bleed I die' times and how long diffusion studies stay positive in a stroke
- angio images with every vessel and its segments highlighted - fantastic for junior residents and med students
- brainstem strokes have syndromes, sx as well as actual MRI images - surprisingly this combo is not found anywhere - all the stuff online has cartoons or actual brainstem slices which i s not really practical
- edited by top names - Daroff, Furlan, DeGeorgia, Preston
- only 9 bucks! very cheap compared to others out there and actually small enough to fit in your shirt pocket

CONS:
- Status migrainosis only touches on DHE protocol, would appreciate first tier management as well
- no mention of spinal compression
- spontaneous hemorrhage not addressed but tpa and warfarin related hemorrhage management tables are great. Warfarin hemorrhage management table is beyond fantastic.

Overall:
I absolutely love this booklet. Even as a senior resident, I find myself pulling it out 2-3x on a daily basis. I wish I had it during my junior residency and med school years. ALL my 7 junior residents ordered their's from e Bay. 5 stars!

I bought the book online. Totally worth $9.

Actually, the status page and angio images itself are worth $9. :thumbup:

My neurology student group purchased it for all of us. Seems like you can contact the author for a bulk order discount.. $5!
Its clearly not for any form of shelf study material, just practical stuff. 2 junior residents I was under bought it after they saw mine. A+!

The new edition is even better, minor additions but major upgrade in quality. It definitely saved my ***** a few times. Just like the previous comments state, it does have a quality of making residents around you go out and get one.

Bickerstaff or DeJong for neurological examination

I actually like this rapid response book better than pocket neurology. No extraneous info, just the goodness you need. Cheap and to the point so obviously not for board study. Recommend for anyone doing a neuro rotation, fresh neuro residents or even ER folk.

Anyone know how to get the bulk rate from the author? Heard it was $5

Anyone? I'd like to buy 30 for my residents

Dr. Daroff has his name on this book!

It doesn't address any spinal emergencies though. Otherwise very succinct, well suited for juniors and med students, price is well justified

Last edited:
Seems like that amazon link prevents any private conversations regarding outside amazon purchases. Try the email address written in the Preface: [email protected].

Last edited: