Must have PM&R books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some must have PM&R books? I'm going to start doing some rotations soon and want to be at least somewhat prepared.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a really good thread with recommendations on books for PM&R. I thought it was a stickie, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be...

Everyone seems to recommend PM&R secrets. Personally I didn't like it. I found Coopers Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitaiton much better. Check out Amazon/google books to get a preview to see if either might fit your style. Ross's Chronic Disease and Disability is really good as well, but a little dated.

There are some good SCI or TBI specific pocket books that I found useful for SCI and TBI specific rotations/weeks. I think they're both by Nesathurai. They're not the most recent, but they really hit the main topics and is easy to carry in your pocket, unlike the other texts I mentioned (Pocketpedia is, but it's not in essay format likes these are). I liked them for my week on SCI and week on TBI.

PM&R Pocketpedia is a must. I think the older edition (the black one) is far better organized. The new one is much bigger/thicker, but mostly because they made the font bigger. They did add some more peds stuff, but the innervation tables are buried in the text and harder to reference.

Honestly all you probably need are Pocketpedia, and some good intro-level text (Secrets, Essentials, etc.). I mostly used the Pocketpedia and Cooper, though I actually got Braddom at a really good price. Honestly, I referenced it much less.

Also--don't forget a good, heavy, reflex hammer!

I hope you enjoy your rotation and decide to pursue residency in it.

Last edited:
Also--don't forget a good, heavy, reflex hammer!

A lot of people like the long handle of a queen square but IMHO nothing beats a good solid Trömner :roflcopter:

but seriously try to avoid any of the hammers with hinges since they are the first to break.

Also, I'd agree just to get a Pocketpedia and get anything else you might be interested from the library. You'll have book stipends in residency so there's no need to over spend right now.

(I also preferred Cooper to Secrets as well. I thought it was more readable and a better reference.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Secrets, PMR Pocketpedia cucurrilo board review, aisia sci guidelines.

A lot of people like the long handle of a queen square but IMHO nothing beats a good solid Trömner :roflcopter:

My favorite hammer in the world. Other than a sledge hammer...

But seriously, I love my Trömner hammer. It's not even that expensive (stainless steel, from Amazon, maybe $20 or $30) and it always surprised me why more students didn't get one. I guess they just don't care about their hammers.

Though, I have to be honest that the Trömner can frighten the kids a little. And even adults look at it funny sometimes since they're so used to the Taylor hammers (which in my opinion, are no better than a stethoscope). But I did learn with boys you can tell them the Trömner head is a torpedo (it looks like one...)--then they think that's cool. And once you get a reflex (usually I demonstrate first by hitting my elbow and exaggerate the reflex a bit :) ) any kid warms up to you. I always found the neuro exam to be really fun on kids--they really have fun with it.

Any suggestions for books for peds PM&R?