MUST READ OR ALL THOSE TAKING NBDE PART 2 SOON. MY EXPERIENCE IN DETAIL!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MY EXPERIENCE IN DEPTH! GOOD LUCK!

I studied for 3 weeks hardcore, using Mosby just for Patient Management and Decks for everything else (I referenced some stuff from Mosby for other sections though). I did all the ASDA release questions I could get my hands on as well as Kaplan Q Bank online. I think that my combination worked for me.

Part II - So I was extremely nervous when I got to the exam and didnt know what to expect. The first section was straight forward, some really simple questions and some that were in between and a few WTF questions. I felt great when I finished the first section. I mean, confident! But the 2nd section after the break was really tough!!! The hard questions kept coming and the easy questions were few. Plus you will get BURNED out!!! It's a lot of questions so practice a lot before taking it. Practice sitting down and doing 200 or more questions without break.
Overall the exam was fair, I felt like they were not trying to trick you, basically making sure that we know what we should as dentists. The hardest questions to me were the dental materials questions. I hated this topic and didnt know to review it. But good thing is those questions were few.

Day 2 was case based. This day was not as bad as the first day for me since it was only 100 questions lol. But the topics were the same just looking back and forth on pictures, case details, xrays and charts took getting used to. But the questions were straightforward. Practice reading xrays and diagnosing basically.

Break down by Sections:

Pharmacology: Just the basics, Tufts Pharmacology and ASDA release questions will be sufficient, no need to go back and read your class notes on this lol. SERIOUSLY. Very basic and obvious answers for the most part.

Pathology: Just doing the asda released questions and reading decks should suffice if you had a good background in Path. Key stuff to know ectodermal dysplasia, dentinogenesis imperfecta, amelogenesis imperfecta, cleidocranial dysplasia, leukoplakia, candidiasis, lichen planus, dentigerous cyst, okc, basal cell carcinoma, Odontoma etc. Just the most common stuff that you would expect.

Pedo - I didnt get much pedo questions on my exam but you may not be so lucky. Just review calcification, flouride supplement, eruption and space maintainers. Also cerebral palsy etc

Endo - Endo was heavily tested lol .Seems like every other question was either asking about how to diagnose an endodontically involved tooth or how to tx it. SO make sure you are well versed in these areas and can recognize endo lesions on xrays. Release ASDA papers and your class knowledge should be enough.

Radiology - Very few radiology was asked for me. Basically know how to recognize anatomic structures on a radiograph. Also know about kvp and MA and how they affect radiographs. Know what kind of errors can occur with radiographs and how to identify them if given. Decks is good for radiology as well . Also I recommend googling around and looking at all the images you can find. That will help a great deal!!

Restorative -Decks all the way, these questions were the toughest for me because its my least favorite part of dentistry lol. Just use decks and all the old questions you can get your hand on and going over mosby is not bad for this section either.

Ortho - Very very very little ortho was asked. Decks and Mosby are overkill for ortho. If you payed attention in class you should be fine. If not then make sure to solve all ortho questions in ASDA papers. Also decks was extremely good but overkill. Know all the ceph stuff and space maintainers ofcourse.

Oral Surgery - This section was not very thorough at all. Just the basics as well. Anesthesia dose, notrous, contraindications, indications etc. Also impactions a little bit. Don't know what helped better but Mosby was pretty good for this section for my exam. Know about medical conditions and how to manage them hypertension, diabetes etc. Know about stuff like dry socket and general oral surgery post op complications.

Now for the final and most important section lol PATIENT MANAGEMENT! - MOSBY MOSBY MOSBY seriously! This section was heavily tested. I cant stress it enough. Know it cold!!!! All the stuff about insurance and sterilization etc!!

DSCE - IS basically a mini version of Part 2 but a whole lot more pictures and cases!!! Perio is heavily tested on this so brush up on your perio! hha. Seriously! Best source for DSCE, I don't really know, a little of everything I would say. For me DSCE had easier questions that PART 2 but was more difficult because of all the cases and pictures and diagnosing you had to do!

Forgive my typos, I am really really tired. Don't know if I left anything off but thats all I have.
Anyways, good luck everyone. I pray that I passed both. Just study hard and do LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!!
I ACED BOTH EXAMS!
I have a zip file of all the files that helped me ACE the exam! PM if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
[
thanks for ur post, I'm following like u prepared for each subject, i have mosby, decks, and asda papers ,what else material u have to preparecan u send names of ur preparatory on my email, and please send material for DSCE. on my email [email protected][/quote]

I studied for 3 weeks hardcore, using Mosby just for Patient Management and Decks for everything else (I referenced some stuff from Mosby for other sections though). I did all the ASDA release questions I could get my hands on as well as Kaplan Q Bank online. I think that my combination worked for me.

Part II - So I was extremely nervous when I got to the exam and didnt know what to expect. The first section was straight forward, some really simple questions and some that were in between and a few WTF questions. I felt great when I finished the first section. I mean, confident! But the 2nd section after the break was really tough!!! The hard questions kept coming and the easy questions were few. Plus you will get BURNED out!!! It's a lot of questions so practice a lot before taking it. Practice sitting down and doing 200 or more questions without break.
Overall the exam was fair, I felt like they were not trying to trick you, basically making sure that we know what we should as dentists. The hardest questions to me were the dental materials questions. I hated this topic and didnt know to review it. But good thing is those questions were few.

Day 2 was case based. This day was not as bad as the first day for me since it was only 100 questions lol. But the topics were the same just looking back and forth on pictures, case details, xrays and charts took getting used to. But the questions were straightforward. Practice reading xrays and diagnosing basically.

Break down by Sections:

Pharmacology: Just the basics, Tufts Pharmacology and ASDA release questions will be sufficient, no need to go back and read your class notes on this lol. SERIOUSLY. Very basic and obvious answers for the most part.

Pathology: Just doing the asda released questions and reading decks should suffice if you had a good background in Path. Key stuff to know ectodermal dysplasia, dentinogenesis imperfecta, amelogenesis imperfecta, cleidocranial dysplasia, leukoplakia, candidiasis, lichen planus, dentigerous cyst, okc, basal cell carcinoma, Odontoma etc. Just the most common stuff that you would expect.
thanks for ur post, I'm following like u prepared for each subject, i have mosby, decks, and asda papers ,what else material u have to preparecan u send names of ur preparatory on my email, and please send material for DSCE. on my email [email protected]
Pedo - I didnt get much pedo questions on my exam but you may not be so lucky. Just review calcification, flouride supplement, eruption and space maintainers. Also cerebral palsy etc

Endo - Endo was heavily tested lol .Seems like every other question was either asking about how to diagnose an endodontically involved tooth or how to tx it. SO make sure you are well versed in these areas and can recognize endo lesions on xrays. Release ASDA papers and your class knowledge should be enough.

Radiology - Very few radiology was asked for me. Basically know how to recognize anatomic structures on a radiograph. Also know about kvp and MA and how they affect radiographs. Know what kind of errors can occur with radiographs and how to identify them if given. Decks is good for radiology as well . Also I recommend googling around and looking at all the images you can find. That will help a great deal!!

Restorative -Decks all the way, these questions were the toughest for me because its my least favorite part of dentistry lol. Just use decks and all the old questions you can get your hand on and going over mosby is not bad for this section either.

Ortho - Very very very little ortho was asked. Decks and Mosby are overkill for ortho. If you payed attention in class you should be fine. If not then make sure to solve all ortho questions in ASDA papers. Also decks was extremely good but overkill. Know all the ceph stuff and space maintainers ofcourse.

Oral Surgery - This section was not very thorough at all. Just the basics as well. Anesthesia dose, notrous, contraindications, indications etc. Also impactions a little bit. Don't know what helped better but Mosby was pretty good for this section for my exam. Know about medical conditions and how to manage them hypertension, diabetes etc. Know about stuff like dry socket and general oral surgery post op complications.

Now for the final and most important section lol PATIENT MANAGEMENT! - MOSBY MOSBY MOSBY seriously! This section was heavily tested. I cant stress it enough. Know it cold!!!! All the stuff about insurance and sterilization etc!!

DSCE - IS basically a mini version of Part 2 but a whole lot more pictures and cases!!! Perio is heavily tested on this so brush up on your perio! hha. Seriously! Best source for DSCE, I don't really know, a little of everything I would say. For me DSCE had easier questions that PART 2 but was more difficult because of all the cases and pictures and diagnosing you had to do!

Forgive my typos, I am really really tired. Don't know if I left anything off but thats all I have.
Anyways, good luck everyone. I pray that I passed both. Just study hard and do LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!!
I ACED BOTH EXAMS!
I have a zip file of all the files that helped me ACE the exam! PM if you are interested.[/quote]

hi OMFS08------thanks for ur post, I'm following like u prepared for each subject, i have mosby, decks, and asda papers ,what else material u have to preparecan u send names of ur preparatory on my email, and please send material for DSCE. on my email [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

thanks for d detailed description, it was a very good overview of how to prepare for part 2.

do u happen to have a soft copy if the Tufts Pharmacology papers?

Break down by Sections:

I ACED BOTH EXAMS!
I have a zip file of all the files that helped me ACE the exam! PM if you are interested.

Hi, Thank you for sharing your NBDE part 2 experience in detail. I just passed part 1 and will now start studying for part 2, I plan to take it in November. Is it possible for you to email me the zip files you used to study for the exam? this is my email addy [email protected].

Break down by Sections:

I ACED BOTH EXAMS!

is it possible to get that zip. i am looking esp for the asda released papers.

Break down by Sections:

I ACED BOTH EXAMS!

Break down by Sections:

I ACED BOTH EXAMS!
Will you please send a copy of the Zip file.I have the NBDE 2 in 2 weeks Please send it to my email [email protected] Appreciate your help and thank you

Oms08 could you share how many hours per day were you studying and how were your foundations before ? Thank you !

Members don't see this ad :)

Break down by Sections:

I ACED BOTH EXAMS!

THANK YOU sharing info.
Can you send me the zip file?
[email protected]

It would help me a lot!

hey all please make a chain.
dont disturb the poor fella for the zip file so if any body got his file please forward it.. and that person please forward to other.. keep the chain running.
and add me too at [email protected]

Thanks for sharing that great experience of yours OMFS08. I wanted to ask you if you could send me the zip file as well, I would greatly appreciate it!!!!
[email protected]

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk