My Attempt at studying for the OATs... What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best OAT resource that helped you kill the OAT Test?

• Kaplan Book

• Crack the OAT

• OAT Destroyer

• Chad's Videos

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jalam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soo.. I just started studying for the OAT test like 3 days ago. I want to be able to take it sometime in August. I wanted to share my "strategy" and hear what everyone thinks! ANY advice and criticism would be MUCH MUCH appreciated because I am really nervous and concerned.

I have the OAT Kaplan 2015 Strategies, Practice, and Reviews Book (comes w/ 2 online practice tests, that's it). I started reading Biology and got through 2 chapters and then jumped to Gen Chem and did the first 2 chapters. I planned on bouncing from section to section in order to not get bored with one subject and to be able to constantly keep the material fresh rather than finishing Biology in the first 2 weeks and then not seeing it again for months. Not sure if this is a good idea or not... As I am reading, I am just typing out some key stuff to remember rather than just reading it and not writing anything down (not sure if this is helping me or not though..). Then I am doing the practice questions at the end of each chapter and looking at the ones I answered wrong before moving onto the next chapter. Occasionally I look at some khanacedemy videos at night to refresh what I learned that day.

I know I should probably purchase other material to study so recommendations would be much appreciated! I've heard about Chad's videos (although I have no idea where to get them and I HAVE tried looking for them..) and the OAT destroyer for practice questions.

If anyone has any more suggestions on resources (links to get them would be AWESOME :) ) and any other advice for my studying please please comment below!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Members don't see this ad.

This is pretty much what I did to prep for my OAT! Plus the OAT destroyer. I didn't want to pay for Chad's videos on top of the books I already purchased so I just skipped it & I think between the two books + Khan academy, you've got more than enough resources.

Also I wanted to say for people who are curious…The Kaplan practice tests were lower than my actual scores - even though I took a practice test the day before my real test…so if you don't score as highly as you'd like on the Kaplan practice…don't freak out!

Excellent strategy with the reading a bit of each section at a time rather than doing biology, then chemistry e.t.c.
I would recommend Chad's videos for sure however. I think those were my BIGGEST contributer to success. He doesn't just teach you, but he provides ample quizzes to re-reinforce the material. Its available at www.coursesaver.com

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent strategy with the reading a bit of each section at a time rather than doing biology, then chemistry e.t.c.
I would recommend Chad's videos for sure however. I think those were my BIGGEST contributer to success. He doesn't just teach you, but he provides ample quizzes to re-reinforce the material. Its available at www.coursesaver.com

How long did you study for and what else did you use? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you end up getting?

Also, how come in the "OAT Chad's videos" he is constantly referencing the MCAT/DAT? Like he would say "I see the MCAT and DAT want it like this..or that..." but NEVER have I heard him say "OAT wants this...or that...". I've watched like 7 videos now, so maybe I didn't watch enough yet?

Last edited:
How long did you study for and what else did you use? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you end up getting?

Also, how come in the "OAT Chad's videos" he is constantly referencing the MCAT/DAT? Like he would say "I see the MCAT and DAT want it like this..or that..." but NEVER have I heard him say "OAT wants this...or that...". I've watched like 7 videos now, so maybe I didn't watch enough yet?

I studied for around 2.5 months. I used chad's videos for mainly everything, kaplan for bio, top score and dat destroyer for practice questions. I got 350 AA // 350 TS.
He constantly references the DAT because their exam is very very similar (if not identical) in structure. Obviously they have the perceptual instead of physics and more reading questions, but the questions asked for the sciences/reading/math are basically the same format/come from the same "test bank". If it is referenced to the DAT, it is applicable to the OAT. If he says "this is for MCAT users, DAT not so much." it means it isnt applicable for OAT either.

I studied for around 2.5 months. I used chad's videos for mainly everything, kaplan for bio, top score and dat destroyer for practice questions. I got 350 AA // 350 TS.
He constantly references the DAT because their exam is very very similar (if not identical) in structure. Obviously they have the perceptual instead of physics and more reading questions, but the questions asked for the sciences/reading/math are basically the same format/come from the same "test bank". If it is referenced to the DAT, it is applicable to the OAT. If he says "this is for MCAT users, DAT not so much." it means it isnt applicable for OAT either.

Thank you so much for the information! And GREAT scores!

Any reason you used the DAT instead of the OAT destroyer?? Also, did you do Chad's quizzes right after you did that certain topic? (Ex. Watch Physics: Pulley , Do pulley Quiz.) Or did you finish that whole chapter before doing all of the quizzes? Or did you wait until you finished the WHOLE section before touching the quizzes? Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions...

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the information! And GREAT scores!

Any reason you used the DAT instead of the OAT destroyer?? Also, did you do Chad's quizzes right after you did that certain topic? (Ex. Watch Physics: Pulley , Do pulley Quiz.) Or did you finish that whole chapter before doing all of the quizzes? Or did you wait until you finished the WHOLE section before touching the quizzes? Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions...

My friend was studying for her DAT at the same time as me and we studied together all summer. She had bought the DAT destroyer previously so I kind of just leeched and saved myself the $$$ haha. But its all the same. I did the quizzes right after the section. I then re-did them when i was finished with the entire lecture series on that topic. The more you do them, the better you reinforce them in your brain!