My B in orgo chem dropped to D ever since we went online for covid 19. How do I recover?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashashbobash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My science gpa was already bad, not horrible, but recoverable. 2.7 Bs in Bio a C in Chem 1 and a B in chem 2. I had a B in orgo in the beginning of the semester, but once we went online, it became really hard for me to focus and learn at home. Anyway the material hasn't all stuck since we switched to online classes bc of Covid. It's too late to take a W. I'm pretty sure I just failed my final and I'm gonna get a D. This is going to ruin my my sgpa. Even if I get an A once I retake it, it will still be so low. I have a 3.5 cgpa. I've had As in just about everything else besides my science courses. I just feel so hopeless at this point. Vet med is all I've ever wanted to do and now I feel like I've dug myself a hole I can't get out of. Where do I go from here? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 calm down

Step 2: see step 1 ( You’re not calm)

Step 3: okay, firstly everything will be okay. See if your teacher can give you extra credit. Most schools are doing pass/fail if so do that and it will not hurt your gpa. You can always retake if needed later. The goal is to keep pushing forward.

Grades aren’t everything, so don’t let being perfect be a thing. Everyone is having trouble right not don’t stress. Talk to your advisor as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. We don't have extra credit and Pass/ Fail isn't an option so my gpas still gonna drop

Members don't see this ad :)
I had all B/Cs in my bio, gen chem, and orgo series. Also failed a science course and had to retake (was able to pull off an A the second time around). There were multiple times I doubted I would ever be able to get in to vet school. If you can take more science electives and ace them that will really help. For me, I chose to get a Masters which was a huge gpa booster and also took a bunch of online post-bacc science courses (through UCSD extension).

Going into this cycle I had a 3.27 cum, 3.28 science, and 4.0 last 45 and I was accepted to 3 schools. Not gonna lie, it takes effort and determination to pull that GPA up but it certainly is possible to get there!

*Just remember that you are more than just those few grades and a majority of schools will see that

Reactions: 1 users
Depending on your school, if you retake the class, the retake usually replaces the grade on the transcript. I failed a course (got a D), retook it the next semester and got a B. On my transcript it took off the letter grade for the first time I took it and replaced it with the letter E (I am not exactly sure what the E meant, but oh well) and it was no longer counted in my overall GPA and my retake grade was counted for GPA instead of the failed grade the first time.

What year are you?

Organic chemistry for dummies and organic as a second language are both books that can help you SO MUCH if you retake or onto orgo 2. I did dummies before org 1 and used it as reference throughout. Huge lifesaver. Other classmates claimed Orgo as a second language saved their butts. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Organic chemistry for dummies and organic as a second language are both books that can help you SO MUCH if you retake or onto orgo 2. I did dummies before org 1 and used it as reference throughout. Huge lifesaver. Other classmates claimed Orgo as a second language saved their butts. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Orgo for dummies and the orgo for dummies workbook (for orgo 1 at least) saved my butt too

Reactions: 1 user