BOTH My board advice: (Top 5% USMLE & COMLEX Scores this summer)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajh1983

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Reposting from a MS1 thread this morning, advice for upcoming test takers this year)

>250+, >650+ scoring MS3 student here. Took USMLE/COMLEX this past June.

My advice mirrors some of the above as well as some of my own:
1) Understand physiology from every angle you possibly can, not just the angle/table/mnemonic your PhD teaches. I emphasize understand physio, don't "learn it." By the time you take step 1, every body system should read like a story in your head, not a table of values. Physio is the basis for pathology (basically physio gone wrong), pharmacology (how does drug X affect normal physio), toxicology/micro (protein toxin X affects normal gut physio by reversing Cl- ion pumps, etc). Rapid, accurate recall of phys/mechanisms during the exam make answering higher order questions so much easier.

2) (personal advice) Don't cram for step 1, treat studying for it like a marathon, long and steady. There will surely be conflicting advice on timelines, but this is mine and it worked. I was extremely comfortable approaching my exam date compared to my peers. I was regularly taking time to have a beer/relax with family up until 2 days before my exam.
I started doing UW questions at a comfortable daily rate 6 months before my exam date. I slowly increased the daily intensity up until ~10 days before my exam.

3) Resources: Don't get carried away, and prepare to stop listening to your panicked peers about their studying. Set a plan and stick to it. You'll be surprised how many people are still experimenting with resources 1 month before their exam. Foolish, imo.
Here is what worked for me. If you invest time in these resources, I guarantee they contain all you need for a 250+ step 1.
1) UWorld Qbank: Use it early as a learning guide, not an assessment tool at the end (many people "save" it until later, I don't agree). Do a consistent amount of questions per day, and start early. Use tutor mode, untimed. Understand every answer explanation equally, correct or not. Each question has 4-7 small paragraph explanations, they are golden. If you study them all, each question is like studying 5 questions. The biggest correlation to a student scoring well is by far # of questions completed. Try to get through UW twice. (I made it through UW 1.6x, plus I completed ~1000 Rx qbank questions = >4K questions completed)
2) Step Journal: Made this up myself, worked great. Create a running .doc file containing a few bulletpoints of every weak boards topic you come across. At the end of your study period you'll have a concise list of all your problem topics, that's golden. For me - I used it alongside questions, with any answer (right or wrong) I didn't fully understand got an entry in the journal along with a few bullet point HY words about that topic. If you're reading all the explanations right & wrong, you'll come up with a ton of entries. (My final journal file was 11pt font, >100 pages long) Towards the end of your study period with a couple weeks left, print this sucker out and browse through it every night as you fall asleep. You just rehashed all your weak points.
3) FA: Don't read it, reference it. Use it like wikipedia, every time you come across a subject you don't fully understand in a different resource, make it a point to reference every instance of that word in FA (using .pdf version is very nice for this, just Ctrl-F search for every instance of the word within minutes). I used two screens for studying. One was my FA pdf, one was questions / step journal. The last 6 days of my study period, I stopped all other activity and just read through FA. I picked up a few pointers, but mostly I already knew everything written. It was a warm blanket of reassurance. Also I find "annotating FA" to be a worthless endeavor. Wasted time that you could be doing more questions.
FWIW: I had many classmates who made it their goal to "read 20 pages per day" - meanwhile I was doing questions, sketching out physio charts, learning sketchy medical. I think my idea was better.
4) Sketchy Medical: If you want to know answers to bacteria, parasites, etc - Use sketchy medical. It's a visual mnemonic library with narrated videos talking you through every important feature of every bug. It's smart, it flows really well, it's extremely high yield, and it's reasonably priced compared to other resources. It requires some repetition, so start early. If I was doing it again, I would use SM alongside micro class during MS2.(I'm not kidding when I say that I felt like I was cheating every time I had a practice/real questions about bugs. I destroyed micro questions. It made micro for USMLE a joke).
5) Goljan Audio Files: Put these ~37 audio files on a portable device with headphones, and go for a long walk outside with this guy. He has a way of integrating topics together in ways you haven't thought of yet. Goljan time became my exercise during step studying. I converted his files to 1.5x speed, and would go for 3 hours walks in the country listening to him and sweating it out. 10/10 would do again. He's funny, it's good info, and I found it really enjoyable contrasted against all of my other resources.
6) PATHOMA: Use it from the start of path class until end of step studying. Great resource!
7) NBME Practice Exams: I completed 5 of these during the last 8 weeks of study, mostly 10-25 days prior to exam. Great predictor of score. Confidence booster if you've studied correctly.

Gotta run - PM me if that didn't make sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35 users
I have a few question since you were so generous to share your methods.
Which test did you take first comlex or usmle?
Did you prep for comlex differently than usmle ?
Also, when did you start doing rx question bank? I feel like it's not that helpful until after basic sciences .

Thanks in advance !

Thanks for this.

Which books did you use for physiology and did you do Uworld to follow along with your organ system blocks or did you do random Uworld questions?

Last edited:
I took USMLE jun 22, comlex jun 25. If you prepared properly... 2 days is plenty of time to prep for comlex-specific stuff. I actually just sat around and did barely anything between my exams. Browsed Savarese the day before my comlex and it was fine.

Train for taking the USMLE, and the comlex material is only like 5% extra. It's worded very differently (*cough* poorly), but the basic knowledge is covered by usmle prep.

I didn't use a book for phys, I used question banks, FA, youtube, maybe BRS physio if I needed to look at a specific concept.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Reposting from a MS1 thread this morning, advice for upcoming test takers this year)

1) Understand physiology from every angle you possibly can, not just the angle/table/mnemonic your PhD teaches. I emphasize understand physio, don't "learn it." By the time you take step 1, every body system should read like a story in your head, not a table of values. Physio is the basis for pathology (basically physio gone wrong), pharmacology (how does drug X affect normal physio), toxicology/micro (protein toxin X affects normal gut physio by reversing Cl- ion pumps, etc). Rapid, accurate recall of phys/mechanisms during the exam make answering higher order questions so much easier.

2) (personal advice) Don't cram for step 1, treat studying for it like a marathon, long and steady. There will surely be conflicting advice on timelines, but this is mine and it worked. I was extremely comfortable approaching my exam date compared to my peers. I was regularly taking time to have a beer/relax with family up until 2 days before my exam.
I started doing UW questions at a comfortable daily rate 6 months before my exam date. I slowly increased the daily intensity up until ~10 days before my exam.

3) Resources: Don't get carried away, and prepare to stop listening to your panicked peers about their studying. Set a plan and stick to it. You'll be surprised how many people are still experimenting with resources 1 month before their exam. Foolish, imo.
Here is what worked for me. If you invest time in these resources, I guarantee they contain all you need for a 250+ step 1.
1) UWorld Qbank: Use it early as a learning guide, not an assessment tool at the end (many people "save" it until later, I don't agree). Do a consistent amount of questions per day, and start early. Use tutor mode, untimed. Understand every answer explanation equally, correct or not. Each question has 4-7 small paragraph explanations, they are golden. If you study them all, each question is like studying 5 questions. The biggest correlation to a student scoring well is by far # of questions completed. Try to get through UW twice. (I made it through UW 1.6x, plus I completed ~1000 Rx qbank questions = >4K questions completed)
2) Step Journal: Made this up myself, worked great. Create a running .doc file containing a few bulletpoints of every weak boards topic you come across. At the end of your study period you'll have a concise list of all your problem topics, that's golden. For me - I used it alongside questions, with any answer (right or wrong) I didn't fully understand got an entry in the journal along with a few bullet point HY words about that topic. If you're reading all the explanations right & wrong, you'll come up with a ton of entries. (My final journal file was 11pt font, >100 pages long) Towards the end of your study period with a couple weeks left, print this sucker out and browse through it every night as you fall asleep. You just rehashed all your weak points.
3) FA: Don't read it, reference it. Use it like wikipedia, every time you come across a subject you don't fully understand in a different resource, make it a point to reference every instance of that word in FA (using .pdf version is very nice for this, just Ctrl-F search for every instance of the word within minutes). I used two screens for studying. One was my FA pdf, one was questions / step journal. The last 6 days of my study period, I stopped all other activity and just read through FA. I picked up a few pointers, but mostly I already knew everything written. It was a warm blanket of reassurance. Also I find "annotating FA" to be a worthless endeavor. Wasted time that you could be doing more questions.
FWIW: I had many classmates who made it their goal to "read 20 pages per day" - meanwhile I was doing questions, sketching out physio charts, learning sketchy medical. I think my idea was better.
4) Sketchy Medical: If you want to know answers to bacteria, parasites, etc - Use sketchy medical. It's a visual mnemonic library with narrated videos talking you through every important feature of every bug. It's smart, it flows really well, it's extremely high yield, and it's reasonably priced compared to other resources. It requires some repetition, so start early. If I was doing it again, I would use SM alongside micro class during MS2.(I'm not kidding when I say that I felt like I was cheating every time I had a practice/real questions about bugs. I destroyed micro questions. It made micro for USMLE a joke).
5) Goljan Audio Files: Put these ~37 audio files on a portable device with headphones, and go for a long walk outside with this guy. He has a way of integrating topics together in ways you haven't thought of yet. Goljan time became my exercise during step studying. I converted his files to 1.5x speed, and would go for 3 hours walks in the country listening to him and sweating it out. 10/10 would do again. He's funny, it's good info, and I found it really enjoyable contrasted against all of my other resources.
6) PATHOMA: Use it from the start of path class until end of step studying. Great resource!
7) NBME Practice Exams: I completed 5 of these during the last 8 weeks of study, mostly 10-25 days prior to exam. Great predictor of score. Confidence booster if you've studied correctly.

How long was your prep period?

And thanks for the thoughtful post

Step journal great idea. Thanks. For physio, I am browsing BRS physiology, did you use a larger book?

Is SketchyMicro better than Micro Made Ridiculously Simple?

SketchyMedical is just for bugs (bacteria, virus, fungi, parasites), for which it does a great job. Really intuitive to learn. Also really reasonably priced. Picmonic was very expensive.

I think picmonic does drugs or something, but just try it for yourself. For me it was hands down sketchy.

Just realized you asked about the book. Yes it's better. It's like a more enjoyable, interactive version of the book. I bought the book, and it sat on the shelf I literally opened it once. I did great, don't think you need it. If you're a person who loves books and b/w drawings, then go ahead but it wasn't my style.

How long was your prep period?

And thanks for the thoughtful post

I studied questions alongside classes from Dec 28 through the end of classes in May. I finished uworld first time through in like early April. My "dedicated" period (which I assume just means no classes, only board prep) was end of May through June 21st. 4 weeks or so.

Reactions: 1 user
I studied questions alongside classes from Dec 28 through the end of classes in May. I finished uworld first time through in like early April. My "dedicated" period (which I assume just means no classes, only board prep) was end of May through June 21st. 4 weeks or so.

Thank you for responding.

It's impressive that with only 4wks of dedicated preparation you were able to achieve this score. I'll do my best to follow your advice and I'd be thrilled get as good of a score as yours.

So when is the best time to begin using FA and the USMLE question bank for a new student going into a program?

Should we begin first semester? Or begin second semester and go along with the class material using First-Aid? Any advice would be appreciated!

So when is the best time to begin using FA and the USMLE question bank for a new student going into a program?

Should we begin first semester? Or begin second semester and go along with the class material using First-Aid? Any advice would be appreciated!
For an MS1, I don't recommend starting off with board prep. You'd have no basis to go off of...I think that's the general consensus on SDN, but correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I think most people start around halfway through MS2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
hmm.. So second semester is the right part to start annotating and following your lectures in FA and using the question bank?

Some folks suggest that you just pay attention in lecture and that will carry you further than anything.

Any thoughts?

hmm.. So second semester is the right part to start annotating and following your lectures in FA and using the question bank?

Some folks suggest that you just pay attention in lecture and that will carry you further than anything.

Any thoughts?

I started annotating 2nd semester of 1st year into FA for biochem/micro stuff. 2nd year i was doing questions as early as possible(saved uworld for 2nd semester) and FA with lectures from the start just to expose myself to the book as many times as possible. I scored the same as the OP doing this.

Regardless of the advice you get, if you feel you should start annotating in FA then start doing it. Same with questions. It is all about how you feel with the material.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think FA annotations during MS1 will be worth much, not until you get a feel for the content of board questions and what information they care about. Annotating during MS1 feels like you'll end up writing a bolus of low yield info from PhDs.

What physiology resource did you use to understand it at such an in depth level? Im using BRS and supplementing with Costanzo's actual book when I feel like I need more explanation.

youtube, uworld, khan academy medical is good, first aid. Really just a mashup of whatever seemed to make sense to me. Many of the books were just too dry for me. Narrated animated videos explaining the +/- of renal phys for example really helped me.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, quick question. But for the USMLE and COMLEX, does most of the material cover only second year of med school? Or is it a mix of both the second and first (with the first being the minor portion) or it is just random?

Reason I ask is cause I see people saying they intensify their studying in second year and annotate a lot more that year. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I annotated zero/nada/nothing in my FA book. Instead made my "boards journal" I described above. At the end it was basically a "here's the crap you don't seem to know" list that I could review before bed or whatnot. Also, sometimes it's just nice to pick a new topic randomly for a while for a change of pace.

The fact that you said you used FA just as a reference and not as a MUST-READ-100 TIMES has been really helpful, as I am doing exactly the same, pheeew.
Question: what resources did you use for, let's say: anatomy, pharm, biochemistry... Because I'm using kaplan lecture notes for those.

Oh and about U world. Did you use the random questions mode? or did you do questions based on whatever topic you were studying (micro, patho...) ? How many questions a day? I plan to do my step1 on april
Thank you for your time

Where does one locate Goljan audio files? Is there a non-torrent source? I don't have a lot of dough, but I do like to support people who make great content. Whenever possible, at least.

EDIT: Pardon me if I should have just Google'd this. I admit and apologize for my laziness this morning.

Where does one locate Goljan audio files? Is there a non-torrent source? I don't have a lot of dough, but I do like to support people who make great content. Whenever possible, at least.

EDIT: Pardon me if I should have just Google'd this. I admit and apologize for my laziness this morning.

The only way I know of is by torrent. They are not for sale, the way I understand it is that the recordings were taken without his permission (not 100% sure if thats true). So far I have found that Pathoma is pretty similar to his audio lectures and is only $85.

The only way I know of is by torrent. They are not for sale, the way I understand it is that the recordings were taken without his permission (not 100% sure if thats true). So far I have found that Pathoma is pretty similar to his audio lectures and is only $85.

I had also heard that they were bootlegs. If accurate, that varies the equation substantially.

Not paying for something that isn't being offered for sale, anywhere, at any price is different than using something for "free" when someone made it with the intent to offer it for sale. And there is a big difference between something being produced without formal authorization versus the content creator actually being opposed to their work being used and shared. If I don't find evidence of the latter, then that makes me much more likely to seek out the resource.

Thanks!

The fact that you said you used FA just as a reference and not as a MUST-READ-100 TIMES has been really helpful, as I am doing exactly the same, pheeew.
Question: what resources did you use for, let's say: anatomy, pharm, biochemistry... Because I'm using kaplan lecture notes for those.
did you read FA at all during MS1/MS2 though? Or are you saying its best to not even use FA really at all other than strictly for reference?

After reading OP's post, it sounds like he spent most of his time doing just practice questions? Did I read that correct? Also is there a study source that is more visual based than audio based (this is in reference to Goljan). I'm not an auditory learner.

Sorry for not monitoring the post. I've been busy with family and away rotations/"audition" rotations, etc.

No harm in reading FA early so go ahead. I think it's best used to look up specific topics, not read "cover to cover" style.

I struggled with pharm, never felt like I mastered it in pharm class, honestly it's still a weaker subject. I had the pharm cards but wasn't disciplined enough to use them regularly. I learned more about pharm on rotations than from MS2.

For anatomy/pharm/biochem: I re-referenced netters anatomy and xray/ct slices from google searches, this was fine for anatomy. I also was strong in anatomy to begin with. Theres not a ton of anatomy on step 1, just some key things like position of heart chambers relative to external anatomy, fibular head injury = peroneal nerve injury, etc. Pharm I just looked up anything I was fuzzy on, did this 100x over and I still don't quite get it lol. Biochem I mentioned in my original post: anytime I had a question on biochem cycles, I wrote it on a list. When I was done I took the top 5-10 most heavily tested cycles and forced myself to draw them out with enzyme names, cofactors, etc a few times until I knew them. Not the highest yield use of time, but I had extra time at the end so I did.

Sorry for not monitoring the post. I've been busy with family and away rotations/"audition" rotations, etc.

No harm in reading FA early so go ahead. I think it's best used to look up specific topics, not read "cover to cover" style.

I struggled with pharm, never felt like I mastered it in pharm class, honestly it's still a weaker subject. I had the pharm cards but wasn't disciplined enough to use them regularly. I learned more about pharm on rotations than from MS2.

For anatomy/pharm/biochem: I re-referenced netters anatomy and xray/ct slices from google searches, this was fine for anatomy. I also was strong in anatomy to begin with. Theres not a ton of anatomy on step 1, just some key things like position of heart chambers relative to external anatomy, fibular head injury = peroneal nerve injury, etc. Pharm I just looked up anything I was fuzzy on, did this 100x over and I still don't quite get it lol. Biochem I mentioned in my original post: anytime I had a question on biochem cycles, I wrote it on a list. When I was done I took the top 5-10 most heavily tested cycles and forced myself to draw them out with enzyme names, cofactors, etc a few times until I knew them. Not the highest yield use of time, but I had extra time at the end so I did.

hey, thanks for doing this! I know you're busy, but I had a question in regards to flash cards.

did you ever use anki or any programs like that, or were you more of a read over and over type of person? just trying to figure out the best way to learn all these resources. thanks!

hey, thanks for doing this! I know you're busy, but I had a question in regards to flash cards.

did you ever use anki or any programs like that, or were you more of a read over and over type of person? just trying to figure out the best way to learn all these resources. thanks!

flash card decks seemed like a lot of work so I never got into it. I know plenty of students who liked them though, so YMMV.

flash card decks seemed like a lot of work so I never got into it. I know plenty of students who liked them though, so YMMV.

I apologize if you mentioned this but for the OMM portion how did you prepare for it ? Also did you use any comlex Banks?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I apologize if you mentioned this but for the OMM portion how did you prepare for it ? Also did you use any comlex Banks?

I studied for comlex by preparing for USMLE as above. During the 2 days in between tests I studied green savarese book plus a high yield powerpoint our professors put together. It was fine. My lowest scores were in medical ethical crap. omm score was in the top percentiles.

Hey, thanks so much for your post. I was wondering, how many questions did you do per day? And as for your journal, did you write down the concepts based on the right answers or did you write down all the concepts you didn't know that's also contained in the wrong answers? I find that reading through all the answer choices and writing down everything is taking way too much time. :/

This is one of the most honest, organized, and practical pieces of advice on Step.

Reactions: 1 users

1. Apart from studying Sketchy Medical alongside pharm and microbio classes and Goljan/Pathoma alongside pathology classes, is there any other advice you'd give to new M1s?

2. It was interesting to note your idea of keeping a journal alongside questions to keep track of what you know and don't know. Incidentally, I did a very similar thing for the MCAT (the new one), one journal to track my content knowledge deficiencies and one journal to track my skills/test-taking deficiencies - I think doing these alongside a high volume of practice questions allowed me to get perfect (except for 1 point in bio) scores in all 3 science sections.
So is a good strategy for Step 1 to essentially do every question you can get your hands on, and for everything keep a journal tracking your knowledge flaws as well as general test-taking strategies that work/fail as you do the practice?

3. What exactly do you mean by understanding physiology "from every angle you possibly can?" From your other reply, I see that you did this by using a large variety of resources that explain things visually. But cognitively speaking, can you clarify how you went about understanding physiology from every possible angle?

Thanks for the input!

this is a wonderful post! studying in European medical school is very different from the American system so as an IMG reviewing everything feels like its almost new. i am prepping for step one and hope to take it in 4 months. i hope this is enough time to study and practice questions. you tip about step journal is awesome. used to do something similar in school, it improved my score always cuz i always got questions from the topics i failed during prep or hated. Great Job!