My brother thinks I undershot with my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardzkp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think most of your schools are target schools given your stats and activities and so you have a reasonable list, with a few reaches which is perfectly fine!

One thing I do want to mention is that Dartmouth tends to prefer older, non-traditional applicants, while Brown tends to prefer its own undergrads or older, non-trads. So if you are a traditional applicant keep this in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is very good with a few reaches. There is no point in adding more reaches as your brother suggested. You should receive several interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your brother is wrong. You are right. Keep that list.

I think that your list is fine. Save your brother's advice if you get into legal trouble.

Cornell and Brown will appreciate the donations, alas.

I would have suggested Rush, MCW, VCU, Miami to the list, and also NYITCOM, PCOM, UNECOM and Touro-Ny.

Good luck!!

So, let me preface. My brother is at a top 5 law school which I know means nothing in the context of this post. However, when I told him my school list and stats, he was certain I undershot myself. On the contraire, I thought I had too many reach schools (and was still pretty nervous about acceptances). I'm a New York resident, 3.84cGPA, 3.74sGPA, and a 130,127,128,127 split on the MCAT (87%, ~32)

• Schools: Albany, Einstein, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, Drexel, Quinnipiac, Dartmouth, GW, Georgetown, Hofstra, Loyola Stritch, NYMC, Jefferson, SUNY Upstate, Downstate, Buffalo, Stonybrook, Temple, Brown, Tufts, Rochester, Vermont, Wake Forest, Cornell, BU, SLU

• Research: No publications but 1 abstract, 1 poster, and over 200 hours in an stress physiology lab (3 semesters to date)

• Volunteer clinical: Research associate ~50hrs (samples ER department for clinical history for a publication, NARAP), and over 200 hours with RNs at our health center promoting preventative health (CHSC below)

• Shadowing: 4 shadow positions, primary care (x2), surgeon, hematologist, over 200 hours

• Non-clinical: Various projects to clean up underprivileged cities around my school and working with special needs children (separate entities, over 100 hours)

• EC: President of Campus CHSC, Vice President of AED , TA experience for 2 years, etc.

• Employment: Chemistry Stockroom employee during school year (~6 hrs/week)
So, let me know if you think he's right. I appreciate any and all responses (I lurk, never post, but understand the experience of some of those who offer advice on this board). Also, if there are any schools you guys think I missed, feel free to mention. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the responses everybody - I'll be adding a few of the schools mentioned above once I have some cash.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong; he is somewhat stubborn (aren't all brothers?) and thinks that his attendance at an Ivy means it's possible for me... but I don't believe that's the case.

Personally, I think it's better to spend the $140 and get rejected from an elite program than spend a lifetime wondering if you could have gone to your dream school. You've learned something about yourself in the process.

The list looks good.