My CC partnered with the State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiremedicMike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The CC where I'm taking my gen-ed requirements recently partnered with Ohio State. They have now added a direct pathway into Ohio State to compliment their direct pathways into Ohio University and Franklin University (apparently a decent business school). If I am reading the information correctly, they are also sharing instructors.

I recognize that the pre-req @ cc question has been beaten to death and then some, but do these partnerships strengthen the idea of pre-reqs at this particular CC?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably the best answer is to call your targeted medical schools and ask them, specifically mentioning the CC's and courses you are taking.

As an aside, I just purchased the online MSAR for $15 and there is a section with question that says "CC classes accepted?" Some schools say "yes", some say "case by case basis", some say "no."

Also, they have a question about online classes too, for each school.

edit: ok found some examples:

Harvard accepts no online, but yes to CC's
Yale accepts no online, but case-by-case for CC's
John Hopkins accepts neither
UC-Irvine accepts both

Last edited:
At the risk of benefitting from your purchase, would you mind checking Ohio State and Ohio University?

I don't plan on taking any of my science pre-reqs online, but I will probably do my math ones online, and the majority of my bachelors (Public Safety Management) will be online, although my degree will not reflect that and will be coming from a brick and mortar school..

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's an online class from a legitimate institution you are fine. I took a couple online classes offered through my 4 year university. What they mean as far as I was told when applying are classes from those schools who advertise on commercials on MTV with the girl in her pajamas.

Sure but at the risk of violating any type of forum rules on this, I'll only check these. I see ohio state university (in columbus) and it says case-by-case for both.

There was also northeastern ohio (in rootstown) which says yes to both

Good luck!

The CC where I'm taking my gen-ed requirements recently partnered with Ohio State. They have now added a direct pathway into Ohio State to compliment their direct pathways into Ohio University and Franklin University (apparently a decent business school). If I am reading the information correctly, they are also sharing instructors.

I recognize that the pre-req @ cc question has been beaten to death and then some, but do these partnerships strengthen the idea of pre-reqs at this particular CC?

Except for state schools, it makes no difference. In Tulsa, the only way to attend a public 4-year university is to start at Tulsa CC in one of these programs. My children are doing this. But it doesn't change anything out of state. My explanation of the system held no weight at Mayo during my interview and was probably a good part of the reason that I was not accepted.

Except for state schools, it makes no difference. In Tulsa, the only way to attend a public 4-year university is to start at Tulsa CC in one of these programs. My children are doing this. But it doesn't change anything out of state. My explanation of the system held no weight at Mayo during my interview and was probably a good part of the reason that I was not accepted.

This scenario is a little different, in that with Ohio State and other 4 year institutions in Ohio, one can enter them year one. I mention this not to argue semantics, but I think it's an important distinction that this partnership was not necessary by any stretch and leads me to believe Ohio State values the education that is being given from Columbus State.

In the end, I still have about 1.5 years before I need to worry about my pre-reqs, could all be different by then..

Indeed this debate has been beat to death, yet there remains no resolve to the question. From what I've gathered on my own, through contacting my schools of choice, at least some pre-reqs (general ones) taken at a CC are perfectly fine. I'm sure there's a point, say taking all or almost all pre-reqs at a CC will do you harm, but so long as you just do the basics at a CC and maintain solid A's when you transfer to the 4-year, you should be just fine.

This scenario is a little different, in that with Ohio State and other 4 year institutions in Ohio, one can enter them year one. I mention this not to argue semantics, but I think it's an important distinction that this partnership was not necessary by any stretch and leads me to believe Ohio State values the education that is being given from Columbus State.

In the end, I still have about 1.5 years before I need to worry about my pre-reqs, could all be different by then..

With regard to Ed's quote in your response:

I have seen many doctors that have been accepted to allopathic and osteopathic med schools that took their pre-reqs in a community college setting.

I think there are a number of reasons that can go into someone not getting accepted into a particular school. It's like a job interview. Sometimes things click and sometimes they don't. It seems probable to me that it wasn't what made the difference as to why the person didn't get accepted to Mayo.

As many have said, it is school specific. I took many of my pre-reqs at a CC, although they were actually turned into a state college when I was there...Florida is being weird with that lately.

However, schools like UF do not like classes from CCs, and the problem with this is with some schools, like UF, they don't often admit it (unless you happen to know someone on the admin committee).

I spoke with several (rather strong) non-trads who had taken CC classes and applied to UF. All of them were rejected pre-secondary. I thought I might be different seeing as I graduated from UF summa cum laude and was the senior the school chose to have the Gainesville Sun run a story about on Graduation day, but alas, rejected pre-secondary. It didn't break my heart, as it was far down on my list of schools, and while my numbers from 10 years ago were less than stellar, I'm pretty sure the CC classes had something to do with it too.

Moral of the story: Make sure you at least try to check it out for each school to which you apply.