My chance for Admission into msw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkcosmo130

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a graduating college senior (this may) and I'm applying to the msw program in Maryland which is a top 20 school. I have a 3.4 gpa and have been working as a healthcare provider for 1.5 years. What are my chances for admission? Also for the personal statement essay questions I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on those because I feel a little bit lost with them! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak directly about the program you are applying to. However, it sounds as though your GPA is fine. Any work experience with people will be beneficial to your application.

As for the narrative, again, not knowing exactly what it asks makes answering your question difficult. Make sure that the writing is top notch; have several people proof read your paper. One of the most important aspects is your writing ability. If you cannot write well, even a really high GPA probably wouldn't get you in. Obiously, pay attention to word choice, grammar, spelling, and length of your paper. Keep it as concise as possible. Also, don't discuss your issues in great length.

Hope this helps. Remember that MSW programs are quite diverse and a lot depends on the other students applying. The more students apply, the more competition, the more you have to be on game. Make sure that you have answered all the questions accurately, and that you stay on focus. Also, make sure you give reason why you want to be a social worker.

David

Mention your EXPOSURE in the healthcare field - that's HUGE! Focus on the diversity of experiences within that and you'll definitely get a good leg up! David's advice is fantastic!

Mention your EXPOSURE in the healthcare field - that's HUGE! Focus on the diversity of experiences within that and you'll definitely get a good leg up! David's advice is fantastic!

I agree. The amount of work you've done in the field may actually override your GPA, because it shows skill and commitment. I'm assuming you can get a rec from this experience as well, because that would also be of great help.