My Chances at Waterloo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airplaydough

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I actually just wrote the OAT and I may be applying to Waterloo. So is that 300 or higher rule set in stone? I kind of did really well on everything but RC... Check out my scores:

Quantitative Reasoning: 390
RC: 270...
Biology: 370
Gen Chem: 380
Orgo: 360
Physics: 370
TS: 380
AA: 360

Is it really worth rewriting in a case like this? I have really good extracurricular & job shadowing (few hundred hrs) & been a lab technician at a Lens Crafters for 3yrs, 3.8 GPA Bsc Biology. I feel like I'm in a really awkward position with that reading comp score... Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I had ~310 on my RC score a few years back and still got into Waterloo. Remember the interviews are closed-file, so they will not ask about your academic performance nor will they have any knowledge you scored < 300 on RC. Your other scores are terrific so I think it should balance out. It is best to email admissions and get thier opinion if possible.

Does you GPA convert to a percentage average above 86% (since GPA is misleading)? Also, experience that is not related to optometry is important too. I only shadowed 2 optometrists for under 15 hours but I did a lot more other activities such as research and seminars. I think you should be offered an interview since your academic stats are really similar to mine (I'm entering 1st year this Sept).

Well I've been involved with student government during university and I have many hours of volunteering at the pediatrics department of a Hospital close by. The glasses I'm currently wearing I made, I have years of experience working with lensometers, I'm familiar with a lot of what goes on in the eye wear industry and I have seen a variety of cases both while shadowing and while working in the lab. My GPA converts to about an 86% (85.75%), my school actually just converted to the % system so my transcript looks funky. Also, I wrote the "Sir Isaac Newton" physics test way back in 2010 (when I was in high school) which is administered by U of Waterloo and scored in the top 27%, so including that in the application might make me stand out.

So what do you think? Also, thoughts on optometry school so far?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All I can do is really compare it to myself. My average was ~88% (~3.8 GPA at UofT) and my TS/AA was 370/360. I never had much exposure to what you have such as working with lensometers and the eye wear industry but I did have 2 years of research in Alzheimer's/Parkinson's and did a thesis course on it in my last year of university. I was also a teaching assistant for a second year chemistry course and did seminars for a professor. Job-wise, I only had 3 jobs in my university career and all of them were heavy on personal interactions.

On the application, there will be 4 spots for you to write extracurricular activities and 3 spots for you to write about volunteer activities. (it may change as in 2013, it was 5 spots for each). There is also a section for academic awards so if you did receive an award for the physics test in high school, put that in as well. (PM me if you would like a copy of a blank app) Also, you will need 2 references, one an optometrist and the other, someone whom you have worked with and knows you well (typically a professor/employer).

Overall, I think you have solid eye-related experience as well as academics but keep in mind the interview counts as well. Approx 300+ students will apply to Waterloo, 200 will get interviews and 90 will get accepted. The way I see it is all you have to be is slightly above average in every single stage to get in. Take this time and constantly improve as it won't hurt you at all. Vary your activities to show that you are a versatile student and that you have transferable skills which you can take and apply to optometry and being a person as a whole.

I haven't officially started my first day but there are tons of exciting orientation events planned o the first week. The staff and students in the School of Optometry and Vision Science are extremely welcoming and kind. Schedule is tight, reminds me of first year but a bit worse: 6 courses of which 4 have labs. If you make it in, then I look forward to meeting you next year! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you had an eventful four years. I've done a number of other things throughout the years but I just named a few that I thought stand out the most. Unfortunately I didn't do my thesis or any research during university (a lot of uninteresting projects about fish & birds, most of the good stuff was taken by 4th year) but I hope that I can make up for it in other ways. I've been keeping track of events so I may just throw my top ECs and volunteering stuff on the application. My references will probably be from work & my optometrist which works out. I am typically good at interviews but I'm gunna need to find a good list of questions to prepare with. Any suggestions?

Also, must the application be hand written? And if so, can I make copies of the original in case I mess it up? I already paid for my application in the beginning of July so I should be getting it in the mail within the next week or so (hopefully). Thanks again!

I am bound to confidentiality for 4 years about the interview so I cannot give you any information about it. I did use google and took a few pages out of social psych and philosophy to prepare for it. I do think research will help as optometry is still a field under vision science (and science) and that there is potential for someone to move onto research after completing their OD. Also, let your potential references know ahead of time so they can prepare it for you or in case if they refuse/say they are busy, you can find a substitute. Had the misfortune of that when I applied in my 3rd year of undergrad so please don't let that happen to you.

Applications cannot be handwritten and must be typed from my past experience so don't worry about messing up. They will send you a PDF will fill-able fields for you to type in, print and mail. I don't recall the school mailing anything to you except either a rejection or acceptance letter during the application process? The interview invites go via email and the acceptance will be on their student repository (QUEST). I actually do not know when they will email you the application, but I suspect later on as they still have yet to finalize my schedule yet.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'm inspired to help!