My chances... I need your opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tofunami

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest getting yourself a copy of the MSAR. It will help you decide which schools to apply to as well as give you a sense of how competitive your application actually is. It is only $25 and is far better advice than the advice you will get from most people on here.

raise your gpa, definately do a post bacc or take some upper level science courses. 3.1 is even low for osteopathic schools. If you decide to go the osteopathic route, retake your med prereqs as they will replace your initial grades and your gpa will look better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
I would suggest getting yourself a copy of the MSAR. It will help you decide which schools to apply to as well as give you a sense of how competitive your application actually is. It is only $25 and is far better advice than the advice you will get from most people on here.
Well said.

I agree about the MSAR.

If I'm going to play your silly game, though, I need at least one more piece of info. What's your science GPA and if that was your science GPA, what's your overall GPA? Any trend up or down over your college years? Was your GPA due to a bunch of Bs or was it a mix of As and Fs?

If your overall and science are about the same at that level, then I'd classify your GPA as low, but not unthinkable. Your MCAT is average, so it doesn't change the impression from your GPA. Your ECs seem strong to me, they're much stronger than mine. I bet that plus a well written PS would be enough to get you an interview at at least a couple of schools if you apply to a bunch of realistic schools. Then it's going to depend on your interviews.

That's totally my opinion and I believe this process is largely a crap shoot. Good luck. Apply soon if you're gonna, because applying late would change my opinion to "No chance in hell."

tofunami said:
Thats my overall, my science GPA is 3.5

oh that is good. so you have, roughly 32 + 35 + 30... 97 (total gpa x 10 + science gpa x 10 + mcat; close to 100 is good*) you should have a shot and ought to land some interviews. is the trend in gpa upward? that'd help. the overall still seems a bit low, but everything else seems to be in good shape

make sure to apply to your state schools and get the apps in EARLY. good luck! :luck: :)

crazy_cavalier said:
oh that is good. so you have, roughly 32 + 35 + 30... 97 (total gpa x 10 + science gpa x 10 + mcat; close to 100 is good*) you should have a shot and ought to land some interviews. is the trend in gpa upward? that'd help. the overall still seems a bit low, but everything else seems to be in good shape

make sure to apply to your state schools and get the apps in EARLY. good luck! :luck: :)
Nice formula. I'm a 96, hooray! :)

tofunami said:
Oh yeah, my grades don't really have a trend, I have many B's distributed evenly, and several C's. For the most part, me GPA fluctuated around 3.2 throughout my college career.

Well, let me start by saying I don't think a 3.2 is as "low" as many people perceive it to be. If this is of great concern to you, I encourage you to free yourself from that distorted perspective. Hell, a 3.3 is a B+! B+'s are good grades, aren't they? Gee whiz.

Honestly, I think the whole deal is (or at least ought to be) evaluated as a package; unfortunately, the major problem is that the med schools are "ranked" on these stupid numbers as a measure of "objectivity." I think this whole ranking system is a huge farce and the pressure the schools feel to accept students with high numbers is just a shame, but it's outside of their control. The ranking formulation heavily relies on those mean GPA's and MCATs, so that's what makes a good "B+" GPA into something that might cause problems.

Having said that, who knows what your chances are? I have no idea. No one here does, and the MSAR won't help you very much when you're flipping through it and seeing the same median GPA over and over again: 3.67, 3.71, 3.66, 3.64, etc. What I do know is your other activities - the EC's and even your MCAT - look really solid and as far as those aspects of your application are concerned, you seem like a qualified candidate.

Hell, you should apply and test out the waters. If push comes to shove, re-apply next year, but in the meantime do everything possible to get the grades these next two semesters (or three quarters, whatever system you're using) and also contact the schools and ask what could make your application stronger and *do it*. Be persistent, be patient, and be strong, and good things will come to you. *cue corny Full House music background*

tofunami said:
lol, thanks for the honest input. I guess I should tell you that I've already graduated, and since I'm applying for this cycle I will be having the next year off. I'm thinking about taking some extension classes to beef up my stats, but then again, I'm not really sure that will help that much. Anyway THANKS AGAIN!

Your MCATS are solid (75% admittance looking at MSAR)
Your GPA is little weak (~40% admittance), but science GPA is solid (75% admittance)
Your research experience is solid

I say you have a good shot getting in. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.Giggles said:
Your MCATS are solid (75% admittance looking at MSAR)
Your GPA is little weak (~40% admittance), but science GPA is solid (75% admittance)
Your research experience is solid

I say you have a good shot getting in. :thumbup:

That part of the book confuses the tar out of me. If you go by my MCAT, about 90% of the folks with my score get in. If you go by my GPA... well, I'm on the other end of the bell curve. I just chalk it up to a grand experiment.

tofunami said:
Just curious, what is your situation? Are you currently in medschool or are you in the process of applying?

Applying. I applied last year, but had to withdraw my application due to military denying my request for permission to apply.

You have very similar stats and experiences to me, but my CGPA was .4 higher. I too am from California and it is very tough to stay here. Hopefully you're prepared to leave the state to attend med school. My guess is you will not get any in-state interviews, but you will get several out-of-state private school interviews and a couple acceptances. Keep in mind that you will need to apply broadly and early, have a strong essay and strong letters.

crazy_cavalier said:

Did you come up with the formula yourself or did you hear from someone else. It's pretty useful. The only formula I knew of was GPA X 10 plus MCAT and anything over 65 or 66 is good, anything over 70 is great.

zero2hero said:
Did you come up with the formula yourself or did you hear from someone else. It's pretty useful. The only formula I knew of was GPA X 10 plus MCAT and anything over 65 or 66 is good, anything over 70 is great.

I read it in a book by Dr. Iserson called "Get Into Medical School." Yes, I think this formula is a little more accurate as it calls into attention the science gpa which is also of importance.

MoosePilot said:
That part of the book confuses the tar out of me. If you go by my MCAT, about 90% of the folks with my score get in. If you go by my GPA... well, I'm on the other end of the bell curve. I just chalk it up to a grand experiment.

welcome to my world

I think your extracurriculars and military give you a very good shot if you apply to the right schools.

Too bad the military wouldn't allow you to apply this year. You could have deferred for a year if need be.

zero2hero said:

i dont think a formula that gives your GPA an enormous amount of weight over your MCAT is very accurate. maybe MCAT x 2 would work.