My chances into med schools?(GPA 3.7, sGPA 3.4)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rfalrifa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys...:biglove:
SO, I'm a NC resident, currently have a junior/senior status,biochem major, my current cGPA is 3.73 and my sGPA is 3.46 (this is my GPA for only the chemistry classes in my degree evaluation, I'm not sure if it does count as my "science GPA", but hopefully it will get higher coz I have few more classes to take); but I have an upward trend, got few B's the first 2 semesters in college, then almost straight A's the rest of them.

My clinical experience:
50 hours of volunteering with the Red Cross in high school.
50 hours of volunteering at the hospital ER/front desk
30 hours of physician shadowing (internal medicine)
48 hours (and still going) of volunteering at a free clinic

Other Activities
-An AmeriCorps member-- 450 hours as an Arabic interpreter for a resettlement agency for new refugees and immigrants.
-A discussion leader for General Chemistry (2 semesters and still going)-- kind of like a tutor but for a bigger group of students.
-Research experience (3 semesters and still going), I also presented 2 posters.
-100 hours of volunteering at a community college at their ESL program. (during High school)
-50 hours of volunteering at a school for new refugees and immigrants.

So how do I stand??
I haven't taken the MCAT yet, neither have I started studying for it, but planning to do so during the summer/senior year. Is that too late?
Also do I need more clinical experience, like hands on, or does the volunteering at the free clinic is sufficient (assuming that I will keep volunteering there till I graduate).

Thank you SO MUCH!!! and sorry for making it too long :sorry:

Members don't see this ad.

Nice!! Your volunteering activities (both clinical and non-clinical) are excellent. Definitely continue doing what you're doing.

I would add some more shadowing in a few specialties outside internal medicine to show that you've explored other fields. I think about 50-60 hours total should be solid. Your research is good, so keep it up.

I think your main area of focus for now would be to keep trying to bring up that GPA, especially your science GPA. If you can get the sGPA up to around a 3.6 I think you should be ok, especially if you do well on the MCAT.

So you're planning on taking the MCAT this summer? Are you hoping to apply this summer as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Numbers look good. If you can raise the sGPA >3.5, then medium-tier programs are beckoning. Plus, for NC, don't forget CampbellCOM. Naturally, MCAT will make or break you.

Hi Guys...:biglove:
SO, I'm a NC resident, currently have a junior/senior status,biochem major, my current cGPA is 3.73 and my sGPA is 3.46 (this is my GPA for only the chemistry classes in my degree evaluation, I'm not sure if it does count as my "science GPA", but hopefully it will get higher coz I have few more classes to take); but I have an upward trend, got few B's the first 2 semesters in college, then almost straight A's the rest of them.

My clinical experience:
50 hours of volunteering with the Red Cross in high school.
50 hours of volunteering at the hospital ER/front desk
30 hours of physician shadowing (internal medicine)
48 hours (and still going) of volunteering at a free clinic

Other Activities
-An AmeriCorps member-- 450 hours as an Arabic interpreter for a resettlement agency for new refugees and immigrants.
-A discussion leader for General Chemistry (2 semesters and still going)-- kind of like a tutor but for a bigger group of students.
-Research experience (3 semesters and still going), I also presented 2 posters.
-100 hours of volunteering at a community college at their ESL program. (during High school)
-50 hours of volunteering at a school for new refugees and immigrants.

So how do I stand??
I haven't taken the MCAT yet, neither have I started studying for it, but planning to do so during the summer/senior year. Is that too late?
Also do I need more clinical experience, like hands on, or does the volunteering at the free clinic is sufficient (assuming that I will keep volunteering there till I graduate).

Thank you SO MUCH!!! and sorry for making it too long :sorry:

Can we include volunteering from high school? I was under the impression that we are not to include this. If not, can we include volunteering from high school that we carried into college?
..surprised gpa's not higher if you got straight A's after only a few B's though. Hours are looking good as well

Last edited:
Nice!! Your volunteering activities (both clinical and non-clinical) are excellent. Definitely continue doing what you're doing.

I would add some more shadowing in a few specialties outside internal medicine to show that you've explored other fields. I think about 50-60 hours total should be solid. Your research is good, so keep it up.

I think your main area of focus for now would be to keep trying to bring up that GPA, especially your science GPA. If you can get the sGPA up to around a 3.6 I think you should be ok, especially if you do well on the MCAT.

So you're planning on taking the MCAT this summer? Are you hoping to apply this summer as well?
yes I am planning on taking the MCAT over the summer, but I'm not sure abut applying yet, because I was thinking even if I apply early (which is very favorable), they won't look at my application until I have my MCAT score (which will probably be in August and september), so I might not have as much advantage ... I don't know, I'm still debating.

Numbers look good. If you can raise the sGPA >3.5, then medium-tier programs are beckoning. Plus, for NC, don't forget CampbellCOM. Naturally, MCAT will make or break you.
yeah I'm trying to pull that GPA up. But what is CampbellCOM? Sorry I'm still learning about this whole country and the system in here.

Can we include volunteering from high school? I was under the impression that we are not to include this. If not, can we include volunteering from high school that we carried into college?
..surprised gpa's not higher if you got straight A's after only a few B's though. Hours are looking good as well
I thought we could, I don't know some people say we could others say we couldn't, but I saw other people over here doing it so I thought maybe I should do it too.
Yea for my science GPA, I got it from my degree evaluation and they only included my chemistry classes (no biology or physics), but I only have like 3 B's in chemistry (2 of them are B+'s) so.. I guess it would be higher if biology and physics classes are included.