My chances on getting into pod school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabin

USF Alum. Barry Pod
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
for the MCAT you need
  1. chem
  2. o-chem
  3. physics
  4. general bio
  5. try some journal reading for the veral section....
other than that you should be good

Here is a brief summary. Please can you rate my chances and tell me what else I can do.

I'm almost done with my sophomore year.

GPA: Overall = 3.27
Science = 3.0

Shadowing XP: Since I was a freshman. 1 Podiatrist. Do I need to shadow 2 or more?

Leadership XP: I hold officer positions in 3 different clubs

Volunteer XP: 50 logged hours thus far at my local hospital (I've also given up all of my spring breaks [2 thus far.lol] to go on my university's outreach service trips to help those in need around the world.

I've always wanted to be a doctor ever since I was a young child. I really want to be a podiatrist because of the impact our local podiatrist (the one I shadow) has had on my family- my father was in a skiing accident and had to have multiple surgeries and therapies. His podiatrist greatly improved the quality of his life (although he still suffers from some pain).

Do I have a shot? :xf:
thanks.:)
Welcome Sabin! Whether or not you have a good shot of getting in will depend on a couple of things like which schools you want to go to, what your MCAT score ends up being like, etc. Your GPA is decent, not super-competetive, but with a good MCAT score and improving your GPA (or at least keeping it where it is) you should have a very good chance at getting into a podiatry school. You can do a search for more information on which schools accept more students than others if you want to see which schools you have a better shot of getting in at. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep the grades up, do well on the MCAT, and do a good job during interviews telling them why your passion is podiatry and you'll be fine.

Sabin I'm in the same shoes. Just about the same xtra curriculars, same cgpa as you but my sci gpa is a bit lower so hopefully they look at our apps overall. When you taking mcat and what cycle you applying for?

:)

Last edited:
Sabin, if you can help it...DO NOT repeat the MCAT. You can search some of my earlier posts as to why this is a bad idea more often than not. My advice is to study hard (cover anything you are rusty on or didn't cover, i.e. some of the physics III concepts) and do well the first time. Take as many practice tests as possible to learn what kind of questions they like to ask and improve your overall critical reading and thinking skills. It would be wise to start this 5 or 6 months before the test since you'll only be able to do a little bit here and there seeing as you're still in school. Good luck man.

Sabin, if you can help it...DO NOT repeat the MCAT. You can search some of my earlier posts as to why this is a bad idea more often than not. My advice is to study hard (cover anything you are rusty on or didn't cover, i.e. some of the physics III concepts) and do well the first time. Take as many practice tests as possible to learn what kind of questions they like to ask and improve your overall critical reading and thinking skills. It would be wise to start this 5 or 6 months before the test since you'll only be able to do a little bit here and there seeing as you're still in school. Good luck man.

thanks. what services do you recommend? everyone is telling me the princeton review is the best.

i used kaplan and briefly supplemented with an old princeton set. from the pre-md forums I have heard about Berkely??? something and lots of people swear by it. I personally didn't think there was a huge difference between kaplan/princeton.

Your GPA is decent, not super-competetive, but with a good MCAT score and improving your GPA (or at least keeping it where it is)

Thanks!

Last edited: