My Chances SC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krad54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been browsing SDN for some time now, especially as I've been preparing to apply to med school. I figured I'd ask you guys to see what exactly my chances are for getting into a school. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 31
Clinical experience: shadowing MDs and DOs (~90 hours by the time I apply)
Volunteer work: 1 month in India working with local patients and doctors
Research: Worked in two labs for a total of ~200 hours
ECs: neuroscience and pre meds clubs on campus
Work: Worked a part-time job for 3 years on campus

My low cGPA is mostly due to a couple of classes my freshman year. Since then my gpa has been 3.6+
I'm planning on applying to mostly DO schools and maybe a couple of state allopathic schools in South Carolina. I wasn't intending to take a year off, but if I have to, would you guys recommend applying at all this cycle? Also, my end medical goal is neurosurgery, in case that helps with anything.

Sorry for the fragmented info. These apps just have me really stressed out and scattered.

Members don't see this ad.

I had slightly higher stats with no research. I got into every DO school I interviewed at. Check out DMU it was my favorite school. Ended up going to the hometown MD school. I was told my lack of research didn't help, so I assume it had a lot do with my lack of MD interviews. So I think you'll be fine especially for DO.