My Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForensicOdontology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to put my situation out there and get some insight int what you think my chances are?

I ended up finishing my Bachelors in Biological Anthropology with a 2.88CGPA, and a 2.3SGPA (Realistically I only had 3 science classes, so my SGPA at that point wasn't indicative of my capacity as a whole.) Despite my low GPA, I managed to gain acceptance to the top Forensic Science Masters program in the nation. I knew if I wanted to ever consider Med School (I want to be a Medical Examiner) I'd have to do exceedingly well. I did well enough in the first semester to be awarded a Graduate Peer Tutor position, and GTA stipend. I tutored and mentored for two semesters, and ended up graduating with a 3.7GPA. I am currently completing a POST BACC at UNE while simultaneously working 40+hrs a week, and currently hold a 3.5 Post BACC SGPA with one class left -- I am expecting an A-, which would raise me to around a 3.59SGPA. My MCAT score is a 29.

If you've taken the time to read through all of this for me, I'd really appreciate some input on what you think my chances are for both MD and DO.

Thanks in advance!
Best,
Karla

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you an underrepresented minority?

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 3.59 SCiGPA and a 29 MCAT, if you apply early next year you should not have trouble getting into any mid tier MD programs in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
With a 3.59 SCiGPA and a 29 MCAT, if you apply early you next year you should not have trouble getting into any mid tier MD programs in the country.
Thanks for the reply! Im sorry, the 3.59 would be my overall post bacc gpa -- my cGPA (undergrad, masters and postbacc) would be around a 3.2. Do you think they would emphasize the post bacc more so than my undergrad?

Some schools will take into consideration an upward trend, which is good in your case. Is your post bacc undergraduate or masters classes?

My post bacc is all of the undergrad prereqs. Chem 1&2, Bio 1&2, Physics 1&2, Orgo 1&2 & BioChem. My undergrad was biological anthropology, so I took a few science classes: molecular and cell bio, a science class on evolution, biological anthropology (the class) and one or two more, but none of the actual prerequisites.

What's your undergrad + post bacc science GPA? MD schools don't include masters coursework in calculating SciGPA, but I believe some DO schools do.

What's your undergrad + post bacc science GPA? MD schools don't include masters coursework in calculating SciGPA, but I believe some DO schools do.
Same, around a 3.2ish. My Masters courses were forensic sciences, which don't count towards the prereqs.

Thanks!

Your low undergrad GPA may raise questions but you can address those in your personal statement. Talk a little about what caused you to get those low grades and how you overcame those circumstances in your postbac and masters program. Your MCAT score is good. Are you involved in any extra-curricular activities? Health-orgs, shadowing, volunteering?

Your low undergrad GPA may raise questions but you can address those in your personal statement. Talk a little about what caused you to get those low grades and how you overcame those circumstances in your postbac and masters program. Your MCAT score is good. Are you involved in any extra-curricular activities? Health-orgs, shadowing, volunteering?
Ok great, thank you!

I do have both volunteer hours and shadowing hours. For the past 2 years (72 hours total), I have volunteered as a translator for CTMOM, it's an event that affords free dental care to underprivileged individuals. I have also shadowed an autopsy MD as part of my internship with the office of the chief medical examiner, for one summer -- probably 300hrs+. I currently work full times as a resident services coordinator for an underprivileged and/or disabled/elderly community. (I am taking my post bacc, while working full time.) The primary function of my position is coordinating community events, garnering donation and volunteer support, as well as coordinating health services via community providers. I've really tailored my career helping the local hispanic and underprivileged communities. (One reason I want to become a DO -- providing for these communities.)

Awesome! If you can work all of that into your app and PS, you should be good for both DO and MD in my opinion.
Good luck!

Awesome! If you can work all of that into your app and PS, you should be good for both DO and MD in my opinion.
Good luck!

I have a 3.56 cGPA and 3.69 sGPA and a 28 MCAT, AA. Do u think I have a chance at Mt. Sinai ?

I have a 3.56 cGPA and 3.69 sGPA and a 28 MCAT, AA. Do u think I have a chance at Mt. Sinai ?

Depends on ECs, personal statement, and interviewing skills if you get an interview. I had a 28 and was shown love at similar schools, but my GPA was higher and I had quite a bit of research experience. I wouldn't make that the ONLY school you apply to, but I say give it a shot and apply along with other schools with lower MCAT and GPA standards.

Depends on ECs, personal statement, and interviewing skills if you get an interview. I had a 28 and was shown love at similar schools, but my GPA was higher and I had quite a bit of research experience. I wouldn't make that the ONLY school you apply to, but I say give it a shot and apply along with other schools with lower MCAT and GPA standards.
No it's not the only school am applying to. I have an extensive list. To be honest I don't have the most fabulous EC. Work while in college for more than half the time. I don't have research but have being working in a clinical lab for some years now. I think my essay is pretty good. I focus on my journey through life. Since I immigrated to the U.s. A few years back

No it's not the only school am applying to. I have an extensive list. To be honest I don't have the most fabulous EC. Work while in college for more than half the time. I don't have research but have being working in a clinical lab for some years now. I think my essay is pretty good. I focus on my journey through life. Since I immigrated to the U.s. A few years back

Seems like you have a good story. I say go for it

Yea, you should be fine to shoot for mid-tier/low-tier MD's. Definitely shoot for DO's too