My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seriously been considering Neurology as my career choice. Unfortunately however, I did not do so well on my Step 1 exam (barely passing). I'm currently studying for my Step 2 and trying to make up for my mistake but will that help or am I just fooling myself?

Just to give more info, I'm an IMG going to a school in the carribean, just started my 4th year. I did pretty well in my core rotations. I'm trying to get involved in some research as well, possible something involving neuro.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

1) If you rock step 2 the step1 will be almost a non factor.
2) If you dont rock it you can still b a neurologist by doing reseacrh, but most defnitelyper doing away rotations in neurology or neuro-like fields (stroke for instance) at institutions you might consider for residency. get a letter of rec from them etc. since you arent matching till 2009, start planning an away rotatin or two immediately.

in short if you really want to be a neurologist prove it to them and board scores won't matter as much.

I disagree with that minstral..

Step 1 is way more important thatn step 2. Most programs have already made their decision by the time step 2 is taken anyway. For a "non traditional" applicant ( IMG and especially Caribbean ) the bar is raised even higher...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ssg, a great step 2 score (high 230s-240s) will make up for the step 1 score. Research is a bonus too if you are still SOL PM when it comes to applications as I know a program that is open to IMG, you don't have to get great step scores but passing is fine with it still being academic with most of the neuro fellowships (if that's what you want to do). Location isn't too bad.

^^ Again, not accurate. It is a lot easier to score higher on step 2 than it is on step 1. A greater step 2 score therefore should not be that impressive.

ssg, you need to make sure that the rest of your application is solid including ECs, research and letters of rec.

I have to agree with Minstral and Linus, a strong Step II can make up for a weaker Step I. However, with a barely passing Step I it may be an uphill battle, as you can get screened out by some schools as they are determining who to invite for interviews.

A strong Step 2 score can more than make up for a lower Step 1 - you just have to make sure you take it in time for it to be a factor in interview screening. Neuro isn't all that hard a field in which to match, IMG or not, so while some programs may screen you out, the field as a whole will not.

Thank you so much for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I just have to get my butt moving so I can do well on my Step 2. I really really want to be a Neurologist. Good luck to everyone.

Hey ssg, a great step 2 score (high 230s-240s) will make up for the step 1 score. Research is a bonus too if you are still SOL PM when it comes to applications as I know a program that is open to IMG, you don't have to get great step scores but passing is fine with it still being academic with most of the neuro fellowships (if that's what you want to do). Location isn't too bad.

Hi Linus2007,
I am an IMG with a real interest in neurology. I have problems in finding the correct programs or IMGS with avarage scores. Could you help me and tell me which program you are talking about

this is a bunch of horse crap. i got a 199 on my step 1 and then a 219 on my step 2 and matched just fine yesterday at solid new york program.
just do better and get good letters and maybe do some aways and you'll be fine.

DrinkMilk, congrats to you. Are you an IMG or an AMG?

Congrats drinkmilk. Also thanks for encouragement.