..My Desire for Medicine..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IkawLamang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time to post my thoughts but I have read quite a few threads on here that have been quite interesting to me. My reason for posting is simple.. in my heart I have always wanted to be able to contribute to the well being of individuals and medicine has always been a field of interest to me. Yet somehow, I haven't been able to bring myself to truly commit to medical school.Primarily because the thought of dedicating 4-7 years and possible postponing family plans...My undergrad studies were average and i did attempt the MCAT a few years back..(uh, not very satisfying but am willing to improve with deep thoughts )

So as of now, I am currently a Clinical laboratory Scientist/Medical Technologist and although I do find my career much involved in healthcare and not to mention quite flexible with time and not bad pay, I sense a deeper yearning to enhance my medical career. I have read some of the posts on here regarding PA schools and for some time I guess I never really thought much about it because of the "bad stuff" i heard from my peers...such as lack of respect from those in the medical profession and not being able to find good jobs. Obiviously I was quite ignorant because from the posts Ive read, its quite the opposite.

Don't get me wrong... I am not trying to apply myself further into medicine as means of gaining prestige...or being top dog...or money wise. I just want to find a path in which I can further involve myself in medicine and still possibly have the time to have a family and be a loving wife.

Sorry for the long posts but I am just interested for any thoughts..thanks for your time...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it's good to here that others have similiar conflicts in career paths. Currently I am a speech language pathologist still pondering the thought of P.A. school and the desire of medicine vs family and all the great things that come along with that part of my life... I believe their must be a balence that has to occur in life. Medical school would tack on at least 7 years of education however PA school may provide that passion for medicine while maintaining balance in your life.... Possibly a part time program (3 years) instead of the traditional 24 month program may help....

MG

I am currently in an NP program and some of my clinicals have been with PAs. I must say the learning experience has beeen better than with some the MDs. Good luck.
Luanne

Members don't see this ad :)
In MD school here.... I thought it was interesting that you said this:

so I can further involve myself in medicine and still possibly have the time to have a family and be a loving wife.

MD's do manage to have families and be loving spouses.... Many of us start out young and single, but at every medical school there are students with spouses and/or children. I can't say much about that since I'm not a parent and only about to become a spouse. It is not easy but it is done, and many have been able to do it. I can say, though, that it IS more than possible to be a "loving wife" and being a doctor with ensuing responsibilities does not preclude that. But perhaps that requires a husband who's open minded about the fact that being a doctor is an intense lifestyle and is happy with that.

One thing I have observed about most MD's.... Many of us are "MD or bust." If they could not be an MD (or DO), many would not think of nursing, PA, or any other allied health profession (although we do tend to think of dentistry and maybe pharmacy). They would end up doing something else instead, often something not at all related to medicine. There are many reasons why this could be. Some of it really is the drive to be "top dog or else nothing" with no in betweens. I'm not sure that is the best mentality or the right mentality to have, but it's what often causes people to go the MD route and make no compromises.

Many PA's have a lot of responsibility. You can diagnose, treat, do procedures, perform surgery. That's a lot of authority and I've met many people who are very satisfied. It's definitely worth looking into if what you want is "more" medicine in your job. I didn't and wouldn't want "more" medicine -- just "medicine or bust" so I wouldn't want to be a PA. But not going the MD route is definitely less of a strain on time and finances, so it's worth considering if those are your primary concerns. I have no doubt you could find either or both to be very satisfying, because it is what you make of it.

IkawLamang said:
Hi,

This is my first time to post my thoughts but I have read quite a few threads on here that have been quite interesting to me. My reason for posting is simple.. in my heart I have always wanted to be able to contribute to the well being of individuals and medicine has always been a field of interest to me. Yet somehow, I haven't been able to bring myself to truly commit to medical school.Primarily because the thought of dedicating 4-7 years and possible postponing family plans...My undergrad studies were average and i did attempt the MCAT a few years back..(uh, not very satisfying but am willing to improve with deep thoughts )

So as of now, I am currently a Clinical laboratory Scientist/Medical Technologist and although I do find my career much involved in healthcare and not to mention quite flexible with time and not bad pay, I sense a deeper yearning to enhance my medical career. I have read some of the posts on here regarding PA schools and for some time I guess I never really thought much about it because of the "bad stuff" i heard from my peers...such as lack of respect from those in the medical profession and not being able to find good jobs. Obiviously I was quite ignorant because from the posts Ive read, its quite the opposite.

Don't get me wrong... I am not trying to apply myself further into medicine as means of gaining prestige...or being top dog...or money wise. I just want to find a path in which I can further involve myself in medicine and still possibly have the time to have a family and be a loving wife.

Sorry for the long posts but I am just interested for any thoughts..thanks for your time...

Kumusta?
I too am coming from a HC field, BSN. I also had the same concerns about doing the MD route, time, sacrifices, family.
But you know what, i'm going for it!
with the concerns about not having enough time for family if i do MD, i realize that at this point, what matters to me is that i want to have greater scope of practice rather than remain RN. my mother is an MD, and despite her busy schedule that has never changed since my childhood (it's like medicine is her 'life'), she has managed to be a great mother and wife!

But do whatever fits you, I just wanted you to know that it is possible to be successful as an MD and be a doting family woman at the same time.
:luck:
savi

jennyboo said:
Many PA's have a lot of responsibility. You can diagnose, treat, do procedures, perform surgery. That's a lot of authority and I've met many people who are very satisfied. It's definitely worth looking into if what you want is "more" medicine in your job. I didn't and wouldn't want "more" medicine -- just "medicine or bust" so I wouldn't want to be a PA. But not going the MD route is definitely less of a strain on time and finances, so it's worth considering if those are your primary concerns. I have no doubt you could find either or both to be very satisfying, because it is what you make of it.

PA salaries are approaching, and in some cases (read: surgical specialization)exceeding, primary care MD/DO salaries. All this with MUCH less debt, a 2-year training program, and low malpractice.

To the OP,

I am a former Med Tech (BS, ASCP) who went back and got my Masters and have been practicing as a PA for over 4 years.

I too considered MD/DO vs PA and chose the PA route and don't regret it.

I have never had a problem finding jobs (frequently, they find me), the pay is competitive, the schedules tend to allow plenty of time to devote to family/friends/hobbies/outside interests (depending on the specialty you practice in). Med Tech was a good background for PA training, as well.

A couple websites you may want to check out for more info:
www.aapa.org (The American Academy of Physician Assistants)
www.physicianassistant.net (The PA Forum).

Of course, it is a very personal decision but perhaps the websites will offer some more insight.

Good luck to you!