My, "Do I have a chance?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Typhooner1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question. I have a positive outlook on my MCAT score from this August's exam. I am taking Kaplan, and am using EK. I don't think I'm going to well well from the looks of all of my practice exams. I'm talking 25ish.

I've got ~ 3.8 Cum, 3.6 Sci GPA's

My EC are across the board- Two short films made, Producer of a set of documentaries shot in Tucson about Tucson's military presence, Went to Australia on Medical Mission, Going to Nepal to teach Health Education, Employed for years as programmer and software designer privately and at the university, started several businesses in the last several years, etc. (Basically I have a bunch of random stuff)

I have about 35 schools on my list, I know thats an enormous amount..

My questions are, what is the mimimum score I could get and still get in somewhere, and also- should I be worrying right now? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm feeling totally crappy right now.

P.S. - As of my last full length practice exam at Kaplan I had my confidence totally shot. It showed a 27 online the night of the exam, and then the next day it was gone. I called and they told me there was a mistake. I had actually gotten a lower score by a good couple of points.

*Sigh*

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

hey kid...

take a breath... i have faith in you already.. your academics seem tight and also your ECs are absolutely amazing :thumbup: . i'm jealous!!!! and here's a little secret for you.. i got into 2 schools last year with a 25..sooo..don't worry too much.with that many apps going out..i know you'll get in..besides..you'll probably end up with like a 36 when you take the actual test. :) Keep the faith... hope all goes well..

~LR

You have an excellent GPA, but you need to validate that with a good score on the MCAT. I would be surprised if you got into allopathic schools with below a 26, although it does happen.

Aim higher. You have a month. Work it.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for answering me, I appreciate the advice.

I usually don't answer these, because I understand the opposite situation better :oops:

Have you taken any AAMC practice tests? If not, then don't worry yet. Take one of those in as accurate conditions as possible. Score it and then decide if you need to worry.

If you have and your scores are ~25, then will more time and studying help? If so, postpone the test until April. There's no reason to confuse your application with a mediocre test score, because right now it's beautiful.

If your AAMC scores are mid-twenties and you're as prepared as you're going to be, take it and research schools. There are some where you could be competitive with a 25 being your only drawback.

Again, thanks for your response. I'm taking my first AAMC test on friday, Kaplan Full Length 2 on Saturday...

Don't freak out about the Kaplan tests either...I took Kaplan this spring and IMO their practice exams were WAY harder than the actual MCAT. In the end, I scored six points higher on the actual MCAT than I ever did on any of the practice exams. Just make sure to use those breakdowns they give you (the bar graph looking things that tell you which areas of each section you need to improve on) to keep your studying focused. And study like crazy! Do the practice subject tests and use your old textbooks in conjunction with the lesson books to review material. Also, make sure you know that formula sheet cold. Those really are the only formulas you'll need on the MCAT, even though I doubted it when I was studying. I could have saved myself a lot of time by just memorizing those formulas!

You sound like a really well-rounded and intelligent person, so I'm sure you'll do a lot better than you're thinking you will now! Just don't give up on yourself! You need to be ramping up the studying now, so keep on telling yourself, "I can do this! The only way I'll fail is if I give up now."

Good luck! :thumbup: :luck:

Yes, you have a chance.