My experience with Ross University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muqalia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to share some of my experiences with Ross University. I originally enrolled 7 years ago. As are most of the people looking at foreign med schools, I was not your ideal candidate. My GPA was borderline low and MCAT was not good enough. A friend of mine told me about Caribbean schools and I really didn't consider that idea until I was rejected from all the US schools. When you start looking into Caribbean schools, the first posts and reviews you come across are from those unfortunate people who were not successful there. You read about low match rates, high dropout rates, large class sizes, indifferent faculty etc. Very few posts/reviews tended to be positive and there was even fewer from people who had made into residency. This made making the decision of going to Ross University a truly terrifying one.

Looking back now, most of what I read on the forums about Ross were exaggerated. Yes there were major issues that many had with the school, location and infrastructure but I felt that the school was addressing them albeit slowly. As a foreign grad, you are already at a disadvantage no matter what. The island is a 3rd world Caribbean island with all the problems inherent to a 3rd world country. There is not much the school could do about that. I personally enjoyed it immensely but it can get annoying. Electricity outages, brown tap water etc. But all in all, it was an incredible experience. There was always new construction on campus and I pretty much had everything I needed in place to study. However I felt that the school could have done more for local security in the area and to me the library rules were very draconian. At that time we had an old lab with a few cadavers which were shared by numerous students. I was never one for lectures so mediasite worked fine for me. I studied the way I was best suited for and that helped immensely. Some of the classes like PBL were a waste of time and some professors also were not that good. And yes, we did have large class sizes and our attrition rate was about 20% . (Not official stats, just a rough estimate based on what I saw).

Rotations were somewhat unorganized when I started and it was extremely frustrating to schedule. I felt 5th semester was also somewhat of an expensive waste. My first IM rotation dropped me several weeks prior to starting due to an internal hospital issue (SGU had bought out the spots). I scrambled to fill that 12 week void. Pediatric rotations were also very difficult to come by during my time. The school offered no help with finding housing during rotations which left us vulnerable to local landlords. They could charge us what they wanted and knew that once you left, it would be very hard for you to collect your security deposit. Given that you may not have much time between rotations in different parts of the country, it made life very difficult to get housing on such short notice. Scheduling rotations became a little easier toward the end of my time, especially with AskRoss. Prior to that, you had to call and wait on hold for hours to speak to someone.

I was able to get a residency in my chosen field and went on to get licensed in my state. The alumni department was very helpful with the licensing process. I had no issues with them.

I hope this helps people as they sift through all the different posts on here. As I said, I started in 2007 and finished in 2011 so my experience may not correlate to how things are now. That terrifying decision now seems like a good one, at least for the moment. Feel free to PM me for any questions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Nice post.

Just to add, I rented my own apartment in Brooklyn (in a small basement efficiency of a brownstone in Park Slope) outside of the school lists. I found it on my own. It was small and somewhat expensive, but I stayed there for the two years I did my rotations around NYC and had no problems getting my deposit back. Otherwise, my experiences were similar to yours. And, I graduated in 2005. Things continue to get better there.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the post. In your assessment, what distinguishes a success Caribbean student apart from those who fail out? I'd imagine similar characteristics of successful USMD/USDO students, but is there anything in your mind that allowed you and others to be successful in a medical school that has a 20% wash out rate?

Also, would you consider Ross an institution that actually helps students who fall behind for whatever reason (decelerate, repeat a course etc) and helps them succeed? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
@skip - Thank you. You were probably in Dominica before alot of the new things were built....

@KyleV - Well its easier to identify those characteristics that led to trouble. One was believing that medical school was an extension of undergrad. Sometimes people became lost in parties, intra-island relationships and booze. There were those that could party all week and still do well. Most could not. We also had many individuals who were older and established in a previous career who decided that they really wanted to do medicine. Many of these individuals found it hard adjust back into the school life and ultimately did not succeed. Then there were those who always had trouble taking exams in undergrad. Some of them were extremely intelligent and very bright. Despite studying all day and night, they just could not consistently pass exams. It was very sad and disheartening to see. These are just some of the things off the top of my head. Maybe if others could give their two cents...........
I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

I am confused and am seeking opinions/inputs. I am a Canadian citizen. Currently I am in school of Pharmacy(2nd yr).I am not accepted this year by any of three med schools I applied in Ontario(These schools allow you to apply if you have taken required pre-med courses and have finished 3/4 years of university education. I couldn’t apply other schools in Canada and US as they require bachelor degree).

I have following options:

1. I can try again with those 3 schools next year
2. Finish my Pharmacy graduation, I can then apply many Canadian and US schools (But that’s two years from now)
3. Take Caribbean route this year and save two years and debt made for studying next two years of Pharmacy

But if I choose third option,

1. How about US clinical rotation if in Caribbean school? I believe Caribbean schools arrange it for you. Is it true?
2. Is it not uphill battle when it comes to be accepted for residency in US/Canada?
3. I come across some really scary stories of IMGs not getting residency. This(http://thescurlockscene.blogspot.ca/2014/03/the-match-soap-reality-of-being-img.html) is the story of a St. George graduate
4. What happens with those IMGs who are not getting any residency? I learn less than 50% of IMGs don’t get residency. They have to wait a year and try again? What will happen now as there will be more MDs and Dos from this year onwards as a result of new med schools in US?
5. Is it hard getting US hospitals willing to sponsor H-1 or J-1 visas for IMGs?
6. What Caribbean schools would you recommend? People say these five (st. George,Ross,AUC,AUA and Saba) are top schools.
7. Finally is it worth taking that Caribbean route in the case like mine?

Hi

I am confused and am seeking opinions/inputs. I am a Canadian citizen. Currently I am in school of Pharmacy(2nd yr).I am not accepted this year by any of three med schools I applied in Ontario(These schools allow you to apply if you have taken required pre-med courses and have finished 3/4 years of university education. I couldn’t apply other schools in Canada and US as they require bachelor degree).

2. Finish my Pharmacy graduation, I can then apply many Canadian and US schools (But that’s two years from now)
3. Take Caribbean route this year and save two years and debt made for studying next two years of Pharmacy

1. How about US clinical rotation if in Caribbean school? I believe Caribbean schools arrange it for you. Is it true?
2. Is it not uphill battle when it comes to be accepted for residency in US/Canada?
3. I come across some really scary stories of IMGs not getting residency. This(http://thescurlockscene.blogspot.ca/2014/03/the-match-soap-reality-of-being-img.html) is the story of a St. George graduate
4. What happens with those IMGs who are not getting any residency? I learn less than 50% of IMGs don’t get residency. They have to wait a year and try again? What will happen now as there will be more MDs and Dos from this year onwards as a result of new med schools in US?
5. Is it hard getting US hospitals willing to sponsor H-1 or J-1 visas for IMGs?
6. What Caribbean schools would you recommend? People say these five (st. George,Ross,AUC,AUA and Saba) are top schools.

Please do not spame. See my response in the other thread.

The two scariest things about his SOAP/Residency story is:

1. It seems like they didn't understand the reality of a prelim year (or at least his wife, who writes the blog) when he scrambled into it last year.

2. It sounds like they're still going all-in for a categorical surgical year. By all means, reapply, but at this point there's also more than a little writing on the wall, so I'm a little concerned that they didn't apply for IM/FM either this year. I hope he gets interviews and matches, but if they don't, then I don't think that the SOAP and Scramble are going to be too kind to them.

Hello @muqalia ,
I have recently been accepted to Ross and though I know I have time to make the decision on whether to do the accelerated or traditional first two years, I wanted to accumulated some students opinions. You mention the 5th semester being a waste, why do you feel that way? I understand it is an extra $15-20K, but do you not feel like your semesters were less hectic with less classes, did friend of yours in the accelerated program not have much trouble with the extra 2 moduales each semester, did you not learn the material better, and do you feel like 2 months isnt enough time to prepare for USMLE-1??? Obviously being home before year 3 and having less debt and way more time to prepare for step one sounds reasonable, but I dont want to sacrifice learning the material as well and being less stressed and getting better grades in the process, unless of course you feel like the accelerated wont cause that stuff... thanks!!!

Hey OP,

What are a student's chances of matching as an IMG from Ross or SGU if their STEP 1 score was a 251? I believe they apply for the match next year. Does it really get more competitive every year?

Hey OP,

What are a student's chances of matching as an IMG from Ross or SGU if their STEP 1 score was a 251? I believe they apply for the match next year. Does it really get more competitive every year?

this is a completely unanswerable question. Too many other variables including choice of specialty, other step scores, GPA, etc.

you should use your detective skills to peruse the NRMP data reports to learn the basic info

Hi

Please also not that the person from the blog post ended up in a dead end prelim spot

hello,
I was wondering if you apply to ross or any other Caribbean school and get denied, how long do you have to wait to reapply?
For example, you apply in august for the Jan cycle, but you get denied. Say you retake the mcat, can you still apply for the Jan cycle?

hello,
I was wondering if you apply to ross or any other Caribbean school and get denied, how long do you have to wait to reapply?
For example, you apply in august for the Jan cycle, but you get denied. Say you retake the mcat, can you still apply for the Jan cycle?
I would just reach out to the school and ask =)

Members don't see this ad :)
hello,

sure you can reapply.

The two scariest things about his SOAP/Residency story is:

1. It seems like they didn't understand the reality of a prelim year (or at least his wife, who writes the blog) when he scrambled into it last year.

2. It sounds like they're still going all-in for a categorical surgical year. By all means, reapply, but at this point there's also more than a little writing on the wall, so I'm a little concerned that they didn't apply for IM/FM either this year. I hope he gets interviews and matches, but if they don't, then I don't think that the SOAP and Scramble are going to be too kind to them.

He was taken on as a categorical surgery resident at UMass. His hard work more than paid off.

He was taken on as a categorical surgery resident at UMass. His hard work more than paid off.
...and you're going to take this as a typical result of the prelim-surg year?

...and you're going to take this as a typical result of the prelim-surg year?

Where did I say that?

Edit 7/12/15: Also, don't be coy. In your February post, before the Match, you said you wished him well but criticized why he didn't apply to FM/IM the second time. He stuck to his guns, worked hard, and made it into surgery. Great for him and epic underdog story!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got accepted to ROSS. It's my absolute back up choice. I think however with my newly obtained PharmD, and a lot of studying I can hopefully do well and get a residency. I really am interested with your opinion on the 16 vs 20 month term!

And in all honesty, people have graduated from ROSS, and become practicing physicians. If the Match rate is low it's due to many factors of course ( I.e. island med school discrimination, poor rotation sites, high competitive specialties.) but if students had great GPAs, and lots of experience would a residency site really turn you down? I want to say no but the answer could very well be yes. Time will tell.

I just got accepted to ROSS. It's my absolute back up choice. I think however with my newly obtained PharmD, and a lot of studying I can hopefully do well and get a residency. I really am interested with your opinion on the 16 vs 20 month term!

And in all honesty, people have graduated from ROSS, and become practicing physicians. If the Match rate is low it's due to many factors of course ( I.e. island med school discrimination, poor rotation sites, high competitive specialties.) but if students had great GPAs, and lots of experience would a residency site really turn you down? I want to say no but the answer could very well be yes. Time will tell.
It's your $200k bet

Don't be stupid, of course the answer is yes.

Reactions: 1 users

A GPA at Ross is not equivalent to the same GPA at a US medical school. You claim Ross is your backup, but did you try grade replacement with DO schools if that was the issue? Did you retake the MCAT if that was it?

A GPA at Ross is not equivalent to the same GPA at a US medical school. You claim Ross is your backup, but did you try grade replacement with DO schools if that was the issue? Did you retake the MCAT if that was it?

I haven't heard back from any of the other US or Canadian schools yet, and I am currently retaking the MCAT.

I haven't heard back from any of the other US or Canadian schools yet, and I am currently retaking the MCAT.

So then I see nothing that makes Ross somewhere you have to go this year. Take your time and make your application better for next year. While you could save a year at the front end going to Ross, you are likely to lose it and more on the back end...

So then I see nothing that makes Ross somewhere you have to go this year. Take your time and make your application better for next year. While you could save a year at the front end going to Ross, you are likely to lose it and more on the back end...

Yes. If you're under 30, you have plenty of time. If over 30, you need to calculate your benefit:risk:cost ratio.

-Skip