My Future in Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you taken any pre-req courses, such as Aural Rehabilitation, Speech and Hearing Sciences, or Language Development yet? I would confirm your potential schools don't require you to have those (or an entire communication disorders degree) before spending application money. Also, it wouldn't hurt to observe in an audiology setting before changing career paths--just to make sure the career is everything you expect. ASHA.org/edfind is a good resource for reqirements, entrance stats, etc. . . Good luck :)

Have you taken any pre-req courses, such as Aural Rehabilitation, Speech and Hearing Sciences, or Language Development yet? I would confirm your potential schools don't require you to have those (or an entire communication disorders degree) before spending application money. Also, it wouldn't hurt to observe in an audiology setting before changing career paths--just to make sure the career is everything you expect. ASHA.org/edfind is a good resource for reqirements, entrance stats, etc. . . Good luck :)
Hows a career like in audiology in the USA, do you deal with balance and hearing problems and do you think feel happy with your career choice. I'm a uk student and currently completing my undergraduate degree and hope to move here one day. Do you think your salary is enough to live comfortably alone or if your partner earned the same would be more than enough. sorry for all the questions as i don't know anything my the healthcare system in the US :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hows a career like in audiology in the USA, do you deal with balance and hearing problems and do you think feel happy with your career choice. I'm a uk student and currently completing my undergraduate degree and hope to move here one day. Do you think your salary is enough to live comfortably alone or if your partner earned the same would be more than enough. sorry for all the questions as i don't know anything my the healthcare system in the US :)
Hi! I'm not an audiologist yet, hoping to start Fall 2015. Yes, audiologists do deal with balance and hearing issues, not all deal with balance, it just depends on where you work at. There is a wide range of jobs available to audiologists in the US.

Average starting salaries for audiologists range from 50k-60k. I do think that salary, on its own, is certainly enough to live comfortably on, depending on where you live. I live in the midwest, so 55k means more here than in a bigger area like California where cost of living is much higher (salaries are there also, but still). If my husband and I both made that much, I do think that would be MORE than enough to live comfortably.

However, a truth is that audiology programs cost a LOT OF MONEY. Average, students can sometimes expect to take out around 100K in loans, which is a lot considering low-end starting salaries are 50k. The money is decent, but you really do need to have a passion for the field. There are many other programs that are cheaper that have similar or greater pay, such as SLP, Physician's assistant, etc. Also, try and find a school that will offer in-state tuition or try your best to get a graduate assistantship to work in school, as that can dramatically bring down costs. Knowing this, I'm still going full steam ahead to work as an audiologist and I feel that the money will be good enough for me :) Again, not an audiologist yet but feel free to ask any more questions and I can try and help out if I can!

Hi! I'm not an audiologist yet, hoping to start Fall 2015. Yes, audiologists do deal with balance and hearing issues, not all deal with balance, it just depends on where you work at. There is a wide range of jobs available to audiologists in the US.

Average starting salaries for audiologists range from 50k-60k. I do think that salary, on its own, is certainly enough to live comfortably on, depending on where you live. I live in the midwest, so 55k means more here than in a bigger area like California where cost of living is much higher (salaries are there also, but still). If my husband and I both made that much, I do think that would be MORE than enough to live comfortably.

However, a truth is that audiology programs cost a LOT OF MONEY. Average, students can sometimes expect to take out around 100K in loans, which is a lot considering low-end starting salaries are 50k. The money is decent, but you really do need to have a passion for the field. There are many other programs that are cheaper that have similar or greater pay, such as SLP, Physician's assistant, etc. Also, try and find a school that will offer in-state tuition or try your best to get a graduate assistantship to work in school, as that can dramatically bring down costs. Knowing this, I'm still going full steam ahead to work as an audiologist and I feel that the money will be good enough for me :) Again, not an audiologist yet but feel free to ask any more questions and I can try and help out if I can!

I think the staring salaries are plenty as long as the US does not tax like how the UK does because a starting salary in dollar terms is $32718 in a hospital and then $26750 after tax in the uk, but then again we do have way less loan and to qualify as an audiologist we do 4 years of university study for our masters and an extra two for an Au.D which are both optional as you can practice with the 3 year audiology Bsc degree, compared to the US which I think is 8 years in total.

I hope our degree equals the US requirements to practise as an audiologist, what are the opportunities like in the US for an audiologist, like in the hospitals to move up ranks in terms of responsibilities and salary is it performance based or time based, for example in the uk an new audiologist starts at Band 5 out of 9 and each band has like 6 points which you move up every year as well as your salary. If you apply for band 6 theres increase in role and responsibility and increase in salary aswell. How does it work in the US. For me personally, I'm worried of the living costs in the US as I have heard its expensive, would you say its cheaper than London if you ever visited by any chance :)