My Hamster died.. have a possibly silly but serious question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apatojay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my hamster was fine on Tuesday but was handled by my girlfriend and myself when she had a UTI (bladder infection). Is it possible that the bacteria from her bladder infecton came in contact with my hamsters urethra and gave him a terrible infection. He was fine and then Friday Morning I found him in the morning with one eye dried out and crusted over, blood in his urine and redness around his anal opening, and incredibly weak. I took him to the hosptial but he died a short time after.

So is it possible that the bacteria from my girlfriend may have been transferred to my hamster? It is very possible there was direct contact between bacteria on our hands to my hamsters opening/urethra.

Thanks, I apologize if this is a silly question.

Members don't see this ad.

So my hamster was fine on Tuesday but was handled by my girlfriend and myself when she had a UTI (bladder infection). Is it possible that the bacteria from her bladder infecton came in contact with my hamsters urethra and gave him a terrible infection. He was fine and then Friday Morning I found him in the morning with one eye dried out and crusted over, blood in his urine and redness around his anal opening, and incredibly weak. I took him to the hosptial but he died a short time after.

So is it possible that the bacteria from my girlfriend may have been transferred to my hamster? It is very possible there was direct contact between bacteria on our hands to my hamsters opening/urethra.

Thanks, I apologize if this is a silly question.

SDN is not for medical advice. Please consult a veterinarian for your medical questions. Good luck!

SDN is not for medical advice. Please consult a veterinarian for your medical questions. Good luck!
I do apologize if this post is in the wrong section, but at the same time I would appreciate any input anyone with knowledge of small rodent health has. It is a unique question and I have asked around, but have recieved different answers from a variety of different sources, including those of head veterinarians.

Status
Not open for further replies.