My job is very chill and I have a lot of free time on the job, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
from what i understand, if you texted or called a doctor on their personal cell phone for work related things then you will get your ass chewed
1. I don't text or call personal phones at work - although many only have one phone that does both duties - our method of contact them is usually an app that goes to their cell phone. But that being said, there are several that I have worked with for years that I know I can call their phone when necessary (within reason)
2. It sounds like a lot of people here are either a. afraid to contact MD's? b. have poor relationships with their staff that leads to these types of interactions. Maybe I am lucky in the fact I have great working relationships with many of the docs I work with (ED and hospitalists and even the hospital surgery group), but I am never afraid to call someone or feel that they "may get mad at me"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Ironically enough, a 7 on/7 off overnight position is my ideal pharmacist job (graduating in May). I know it sounds weird, but everything about third shift just appeals to me. I'm in the process of applying to residency programs, but if I don't match somewhere, I'll apply to third shift positions posted all over the country. Heck, I'll probably start doing that anyways.

Night shift is not a piece of cake kinda job. But if the place is much more organized it makes it that much more easier.
You need to be clinically and operationally sound and goes without saying good leadership and peoples skills are critical.
I wouldn’t hire a new graduate for that position if I was a hiring manager.

Reactions: 1 user
1. I don't text or call personal phones at work - although many only have one phone that does both duties - our method of contact them is usually an app that goes to their cell phone. But that being said, there are several that I have worked with for years that I know I can call their phone when necessary (within reason)
2. It sounds like a lot of people here are either a. afraid to contact MD's? b. have poor relationships with their staff that leads to these types of interactions. Maybe I am lucky in the fact I have great working relationships with many of the docs I work with (ED and hospitalists and even the hospital surgery group), but I am never afraid to call someone or feel that they "may get mad at me"

I have learned relatively quickly the best way to resolve issues with orders is through texting the docs. If you don’t do that you can be holding up a simple order for a lot longer because you’re trying to reach providers through “regular” channels.
Off course no mention of pt personal info while texting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Night shift is not a piece of cake kinda job. But if the place is much more organized it makes it that much more easier.
You need to be clinically and operationally sound and goes without saying good leadership and peoples skills are critical.

Based on what I've been told from talking to hiring managers and DOPs, new graduates aren't being hired for hospital pharmacist jobs period, for the most part.

Reactions: 1 users
Again, it lacks the politics and a lot of the "co-worker created" bull**** that exists during the day. But it's much harder to get questions answered since most providers are unavailable and LTC night nurses generally aren't the sharpest tools in the shed (there ARE exceptions and you learn who they are quickly!). And if you're the only RPh you have to have reasonable time management skills since no one is looking over your shoulder.

I have learned relatively quickly the best way to resolve issues with orders is through texting the docs. If you don’t do that you can be holding up a simple order for a lot longer because you’re trying to reach providers through “regular” channels.
Off course no mention of pt personal info while texting.

How do you clarify an issue without mentioning pt personal info?

And the doctor knows who you are texting about using that?

Also doesn’t that still violate HIPAA anyway?
I doubt if it violates HIPAA since it is not revealing any health information related to an individual directly. The information is masked.

Yeah, as far as I’m aware, using an MRN is not a HIPAA violation. Although, as @owlegrad mentioned, nobody is going to know who you’re talking about.

Perhaps some of you programming geniuses can come up with an affordable text encryption phone app that allows for PHI to be texted securely without being a potential HIPAA violation.

I doubt if it violates HIPAA since it is not revealing any health information related to an individual directly. The information is masked.

I bet it does though. Medical Record Numbers are specifically included as examples of PHI (according to google). Whatever needs to be clarified is almost certainly going to be health information.

Reactions: 3 users
I bet it does though. Medical Record Numbers are specifically included as examples of PHI (according to google). Whatever needs to be clarified is almost certainly going to be health information.

I stand corrected. I guess it’s a good thing I never use MRN for anything other than internal paperwork.

I stand corrected. I guess it’s a good thing I never use MRN for anything other than internal paperwork.

Don’t feel bad, it makes no sense to me either. Like why are RX numbers PHI? How could anyone use that to identify someone? But it is what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t feel bad, it makes no sense to me either. Like why are RX numbers PHI? How could anyone use that to identify someone? But it is what it is.
I always thought they were sensitive information only if someone is able to connect them to real personal information. Since we are allowed to share certain degree of health information among appropriate health professionals, wouldn`t it be ok to use it with the prescriber? The id number and med name alone would mean nothing to any third person looking at them.

And the doctor knows who you are texting about using that?

Also doesn’t that still violate HIPAA anyway?
There is a handy chat function in Epic that we use. The only negative is that your message history sits in your inbox for 10 days until it is automatically removed and archived. We get fast responses using this feature.

Sent from my SM-T813 using SDN mobile

Perhaps some of you programming geniuses can come up with an affordable text encryption phone app that allows for PHI to be texted securely without being a potential HIPAA violation.

Already exists, have seen this used. Formerly called TigerText. Just about everyone in the hospital got a cell phone to use for secure texting:

I always thought they were sensitive information only if someone is able to connect them to real personal information.

Logically that would make sense, but no. RX numbers and Medical Record Numbers are specifically included as PHI regardless of if that makes sense or not.

Often times the majority of issues on orders ( at least from my experience) arise during transition of care. Pt in ED now being admitted to the floor.
often times my Hospitslist and ED docs are right there and when you text them pt in “ER-10” etc will suffice. They make the connection relatively quickly and in rare cases I needed to f/u with them then I go where they are or p/u the phone call them.

we have a encrypted app that goes to their cell phone which is compliant - also the epic chat feature works great to

How can pharmacy job be so chill. This is a hospital?

i use to do work regarding other things. or work on CEs. that's how i've been spending my free time here. but lately i've decided to watch an entire anime from start to finish, around 35 episodes. did it all while at work. not surprising since i work 11-12 hour shifts with a lot of downtime. since i finished that anime though i now don't have anything to do

should i just start watching random films on netflix? i can't think of anything else to do but binge movies and tv shows. life is boring

I think I'm familiar with your post history. Aren't you dealing with an unbelievable amount of student debt?

I'd spend my free time looking at how to get more income to deal with that.

RX #'s are PHI because someone could call up the pharmacy, give them the RX number and then start asking questions like "so what is this medicine for" and or yeah "I'm not sure you have my new address, what is the address you have on file for me?" etc.

And I completely agree with Dred Pirate, pharmacists need real work experience before working overnights by themselves. Even for retail I think that is true, and double that for hospital. It doesn't matter if they are certified or PGY'ed or whatever.

RX #'s are PHI because someone could call up the pharmacy, give them the RX number and then start asking questions like "so what is this medicine for" and or yeah "I'm not sure you have my new address, what is the address you have on file for me?" etc.

And I completely agree with Dred Pirate, pharmacists need real work experience before working overnights by themselves. Even for retail I think that is true, and double that for hospital. It doesn't matter if they are certified or PGY'ed or whatever.

Yeah, when I got hired for this job, there was an opening for an evening position and for the overnight position. The HR recruiter had called and told me I was being offered a job and he was about to ask me which shift I was interested in, but then hesitated and said he would get back to me.

As it turns out, they gave the director wanted the new grad on the evening shift position and wanted someone with experience on the overnight.

It's also a question of how cool you can stay under pressure. You can be sitting there watching your 3rd episode of Law and Order SVU that night eating chicken wings and then all of a sudden the queue is 50 orders deep because the admitting doctor decided to process all the new admissions at once and then the phone rings for missing meds and while you're on the phone the other line goes off for a STAT pain med that is not stocked on the floor and then the nursery is calling asking for Hep B vaccines and the labor and delivery is out of stock on PCEAs and then the ER 1st year resident needs help dosing abx for a pediatric with suspected meningitis.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Need little help here please.
Graduated, married, mom of 3 beautiful children, got 2 offers:
CVS 54/hr -30hrs/week full time with benefits, starting as a floater.
LTC 53/hr- 24 hrs/ wk part time with no benefits except PTO. Lo
I honestly think LTC will fit my life style more especially with the children....I am just hesitant cause it’s not fill time... Any input will be appreciated

I honestly think LTC will fit my life style more especially with the children....I am just hesitant cause it’s not fill time... Any input will be appreciated

Full time always beats part time. You need benefits.

Can your husband provide health insurance? If yes, then LTC

Hmm...interesting dilemma. Have you ventured into Hulu? I’ve been wanting to try Shudder. I guess there’s always YouTube if you’re THAT bored.

I think this post calls for an update....I'm envisioning this job went up in smoke (ok, ok...I'll see myself out, no need to pull me off stage with one of those old timey super long canes)

I think this post calls for an update....I'm envisioning this job went up in smoke (ok, ok...I'll see myself out, no need to pull me off stage with one of those old timey super long canes)

His job stopped being chill.

Also this is the second or third job where his boss gave him "the talk" within a couple months because they all "had a stick up their ass".

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users