My life is falling apart please advise what I should do! am i becoming depressed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbaron98982309

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is going on with me
My whole life I wanted to be a doctor. So I finally got into med school with the hopes of being the greatest doctor ever! I took my wofe and move to a completely different part of the country. However I'm currently in my second year and I feel like I'm falling apart. I'm at this stage of my life that everything seems so overwhelming and nothing interest me anymore. At some points I don't even care about being a doctor and at those moments I want to just go into some hole away from everyone and close my eyes and hope I just disappear. I don't want to talk to anyone or see anyone i just want to be alone. Like today, we had a case presentation in front of a faculty and I was the ONly one that was super spaced out and every time I opened my mouth just crap came out. Nothing intelligent. Even though I spent hours on the case. What is wrong with me. I don't know what to do anymore. Am I getting depressed or 6-7 hours of sleep is not enough for me. I don't know what is it!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like depression. Go see someone. This isn't the end of the world; many medical students go through this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax, man. Like anything else before medical school, this is a test. Hang in there and seek help. You will make it through!

What is going on with me
My whole life I wanted to be a doctor. So I finally got into med school with the hopes of being the greatest doctor ever! I took my wofe and move to a completely different part of the country. However I'm currently in my second year and I feel like I'm falling apart. I'm at this stage of my life that everything seems so overwhelming and nothing interest me anymore. At some points I don't even care about being a doctor and at those moments I want to just go into some hole away from everyone and close my eyes and hope I just disappear. I don't want to talk to anyone or see anyone i just want to be alone. Like today, we had a case presentation in front of a faculty and I was the ONly one that was super spaced out and every time I opened my mouth just crap came out. Nothing intelligent. Even though I spent hours on the case. What is wrong with me. I don't know what to do anymore. Am I getting depressed or 6-7 hours of sleep is not enough for me. I don't know what is it!

Probably the issue is you're not getting any patient contact yet (although be careful what you wish for with that, lol). I mean, when you're doing Embryology or Histology, it's not uncommon for people to say "wtf is the point of this?" It's tough when all you're doing is sitting around studying in a library day after day. Take a weekend to decompress and just leave everything medical behind. Do something like walk in the park or visit some friends. It'll recharge you. Maybe that night, think about what you would prefer doing if you weren't a doctor -- you may realize that you're making the right or wrong choice after all. The main thing is you don't want to throw away this great opportunity you have.

By the way, as an attending, I still have no idea how that stupid embryo folds. Nor do I give two s**ts. So don't worry if you don't.