My MCAT 2015 Gameplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GCSDOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am beginning to re-study for the new MCAT, I wanted to create a list of the materials I will be using and get some thoughts or advice from all of you.

Note: I studied for 3.5 months using all EK 7th edition books and all AAMC material for the old exam but need to retake the new exam. Mistake I Made: Spent too much time on just content review.

Based on information from this link-----> http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/08/21/what-you-actually-need-to-study-for-the-new-mcat/

....it seems that a strong foundation in Biology, Biochemistry, CARS, and Behavioral Sciences are crucial for this new test.

What I am Doing Differently: This time around I will be basing my entire review off of answering questions through active practice. I will supplement weak content areas using EK 7th edition books, and Kahn Academy videos.

Here are my practice materials, let me know your thoughts!

Primary Study Materials

Biology/Biochemistry
-EK Biology 1001 Book
-EK Organic Chemistry 1001 Book (Biochemistry Part)
-Kaplan Biochemistry Book
-Kaplan Biochemistry On-Demand Course
-27 Old AAMC Biology Self-Assessment Passages
-70 Old AAMC Biological Sciences Test Passages
-114 Kahn Academy Passages
-30 Official AAMC Guide Questions

CARS
-101 EK Verbal Book Passages
-21 Old AAMC Verbal Self-Assessment Passages
-56 Old AAMC Verbal Test Passages

Behavioral Sciences
-Kaplan Behavioral Sciences Book
-Kaplan Behavioral Sciences On-Demand Course
-85 Kahn Academy Passages

Physical Sciences
-EK Chemistry 1001 Book
-25 Old AAMC Chemistry Self-Assessment Passages
-70 Old AAMC Physical Sciences Test Passages
-75 Kahn Academy Passages

Practice Tests
-Official AAMC Sample Test

Extra Passages
-TPR Science Workbook

Studying 30-40 hours per week from 3/30/15 - 6/17/15 and taking the exam on 6/19/15.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you. Wayyyy too much time on content review. I'm planning on a more active practice based method this time as well, but am not using any of the old aamc material or Kaplan. Here's what I'm using:

CONTENT REVIEW:

EK new edition

PRACTICE:

All TNS strategy and practice books
TNS Diagnostic Test
5 TNS Practice Tests
AAMC 120 ?'s
AAMC Bundle Packets
AAMC Practice Test

If you haven't looked at TNS strategy books, I would check them out. They are as close to the MCAT (OLD) as I have seen, but incorporate some new stuff.

As I am beginning to re-study for the new MCAT, I wanted to create a list of the materials I will be using and get some thoughts or advice from all of you.

Note: I studied for 3.5 months using all EK 7th edition books and all AAMC material for the old exam but need to retake the new exam. Mistake I Made: Spent too much time on just content review.

Based on information from this link-----> http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/08/21/what-you-actually-need-to-study-for-the-new-mcat/

....it seems that a strong foundation in Biology, Biochemistry, CARS, and Behavioral Sciences are crucial for this new test.

What I am Doing Differently: This time around I will be basing my entire review off of answering questions through active practice. I will supplement weak content areas using Kaplan 2015 books, EK 7th edition books, and Kahn Academy videos.

Here are my practice materials, let me know your thoughts!

Primary Study Materials

Biology/Biochemistry
-EK Biology 1001 Book
-Kaplan Biochemistry Book
-Kaplan Biochemistry On-Demand Course
-27 Old AAMC Biology Self-Assessment Passages
-70 Old AAMC Biological Sciences Test Passages
-114 Kahn Academy Passages

CARS
-101 EK Verbal Book Passages
-21 Old AAMC Verbal Self-Assessment Passages
-56 Old AAMC Verbal Test Passages

Behavioral Sciences
-Kaplan Behavioral Sciences Book
-Kaplan Behavioral Sciences On-Demand Course
-85 Kahn Academy Passages

Physical Sciences
-25 Old AAMC Chemistry Self-Assessment Passages
-70 Old AAMC Physical Sciences Test Passages
-75 Kahn Academy Passages

Practice Tests
-Official AAMC Sample Test
-Next Step FL #1
-Next Step FL #2
-Next Step FL #3
-Next Step FL #4
-Next Step FL #5

Studying 30-40 hours per week from 3/30/15 - 6/17/15 and taking the exam on 6/19/15.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Content Review:
  • Physics, General Chemistry, & Orgo: Chad's Videos
  • Biology & Psyc/Soc: Khan Academy.

I remember you from the January thread! I also spent a lot of time just reviewing content. I opted to go for videos this time because the reading takes a lot of time out of the day- which I could be using for questions. On a side note- do you think using Khan for biology & psyc/soc is enough?

Passages:
TBR for physics, genchem, biology
TPRHSW old book for all sciences
TPRHSW2015 book for all sciences

CARS: AAMC
Psyc/Soc: TPR's online passages + Khan passages

Tests:

TPR 1-10
That AAMC2015 exam which I'll take at the end

Members don't see this ad :)
that's a good idea with the videos. i think i'm going to try that too! reading does take up alot of time that could be used practicing.

what's "chad's videos" ?

Reactions: 1 user
It was deemed as not representative of the old MCAT.

Agreed that the current MCAT Biology is heavy experimental and the EK 1001 Biology is not at all. However, I am using this book as a sole purpose to hammer down the basics of Biology and all the little facts I had forgotten from my Bio courses taken 8+ years ago.

I mean none of EK1001 is representative of the mcat. But I heard this was still full of errors
I don't know if there is much truth to the errors....it has been helping a TON at hammering down the facts of Biology that I had forgotten.

Content Review:
  • Physics, General Chemistry, & Orgo: Chad's Videos
  • Biology & Psyc/Soc: Khan Academy.

I remember you from the January thread! I also spent a lot of time just reviewing content. I opted to go for videos this time because the reading takes a lot of time out of the day- which I could be using for questions. On a side note- do you think using Khan for biology & psyc/soc is enough?

Passages:
TBR for physics, genchem, biology
TPRHSW old book for all sciences
TPRHSW2015 book for all sciences

CARS: AAMC
Psyc/Soc: TPR's online passages + Khan passages

Tests:

TPR 1-10
That AAMC2015 exam which I'll take at the end

Are you doing only videos? No book for Psych/Soc?

It could work...as long as you are answering questions in addition to watching content videos. I too would rather watch/listen than read passively.
Oh yeah. I mean that has always been my plan. Never to just watch the videos.

So I would watch them and do TBR, TPR, etc. If there was a topic I really struggled on, I would then read it up in an actual book

Oh yeah. I mean that has always been my plan. Never to just watch the videos.

So I would watch them and do TBR, TPR, etc. If there was a topic I really struggled on, I would then read it up in an actual book
yeh I plan on doing something similar. I will watch videos for Biochem and Behavioral Sciences, then read, then rewatch videos. I wish EK had a 1001 book for these subjects b/c I would much rather review everything from answering questions...it seems so much more efficient.

yeh I plan on doing something similar. I will watch videos for Biochem and Behavioral Sciences, then read, then rewatch videos. I wish EK had a 1001 book for these subjects b/c I would much rather review everything from answering questions...it seems so much more efficient.
Actually man you know what? I realized that Khan isn't complete with some stuff yet and especially when I was comparing it to the 2015 outline. I will most likely use it still but I'm going to read TPR's bio book and maybe their psyc/soc book. Idk on that one

Actually man you know what? I realized that Khan isn't complete with some stuff yet and especially when I was comparing it to the 2015 outline. I will most likely use it still but I'm going to read TPR's bio book and maybe their psyc/soc book. Idk on that one
I decided to really base this second go around studying on actively answering questions. I just don't retain anything from reading page after page in these science books...it just feels unproductive. Between TPRH Science Workbook, EK1001 (Biology and Chemistry), EK Verbal 101, Kaplan Biochem Book, Kaplan Behavioral Sciences book, and all Khan passages, I really think it will be more productive and effective than the two months I spent on content review last time.

I was just looking at Khan as well. Can you tell what is missing (I noticed Content area 2B when I was just glancing over it) or is it to extensive to list?

I was planning on using Khan only for the passages.

For Biology I'm sticking with the berkley review, tried and tested!