My Naplex experience as a worrywart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artemis49

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize there are plenty of related posts on here about the Naplex, but I know I personally was reading everything that I could on here about other people's experiences to try and console myself, both pre and post exam. SO, here is my (wordy) two cents about it all...

I purposefully scheduled my exam a little over 2 months after I graduated, because I have never been a confident test-taker, and I knew I would need all the time I could get to feel prepared for the Naplex. I used the RXprep 2012 edition, and had access to the RXprep quiz questions online through my employer. Since I gave myself so much time to study, I went through about two topics a day, with a few days off here and there.

I took the pre-Naplex and got a 102 before I went back to really concentrated studying.

I ended up going through the book at a much faster rate 2 times a few days before the exam.

I felt prepared as I could have been going into the exam, but still SUPER nervous. I REALLY took my time with each question, which kind of backfired in the end when I started getting multiple math questions and really kicked up my pace in order to finish all the questions.

I was pretty upset after the exam, but there were many questions about drugs I had never heard of and others that I wasn't confident about my answer. I began sinking into a depression as I started thinking of all the questions that I got wrong... overall I was just super distressed and upset. HOWEVER, I received my score online 2 business days later, and lo-and-behold, I passed! I would have been happy with any passing score, but I ended up getting a 109, which is good enough for me!! :)

So here is what I would recommend in regards to preparing for the exam:

- I only used RxPrep and the corresponding online quiz questions as a study source. The quiz questions are a nice review and really let you know how much you remembered from the chapter, but I would say they aren't necessary. I took a look at one chapter from the APHA book I got for free, and never looked back... as most people on here say, it is just TOO much info to remember.

- LOOK AT DOSAGE FORMS!!! This was a large chunk of my questions, so really look at the dosage forms available for the drugs. I found it easier to look at a class of drugs and try to rule the odd balls out. For example, KNOW which PPI's are also IV, look at which 2nd generation antipsychotics have injection formulations (and which ones are long acting), ect. For the most part, RxPrep includes the dosage form for all the drugs.

- The math in RxPrep is a good review, but ALSO use the 120 math packet floating around on this forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18022&d=1319498961). I got a question on the Naplex almost exactly like one that was in that packet (regarding Meq of Lithium in Lithium Carbonate). Really understand the relationship of mg/Meq/mmol, which the packet covers. Go through the problems until you are comfortable with them.

- REVIEW TOP 200. There are some good quizzes online (I used http://quizlet.com/2061660/learn/) or you can make them yourself, just be comfortable with them.

- REALLY know which allergies are contraindicated for which drugs... it really helps you to rule out/make a decision on the test questions. DO NOT ignore the patient profile on the Naplex; there were only a couple of questions that gave you a patient profile that asked questions not related to the patient, but in general, there is information about the patient that will determine the most appropriate therapy for the patient... Don't skip over it!

- Know the questions for NNT, ARR, RRR, ect. I had previously looked them up, but it took a major backseat for me right before the exam.... so not only did I get the question wrong, but I got FOUR more questions asking how to calculate ARR, ect, because I kept getting them wrong. That really stressed me out during and after the exam.

- RELAX. I definitely definitely realize this is easier said than done, but as someone who was terrified going into it and terrified coming out of it, but still ended up passing with a decent score, really try to be at ease with it and be pleasantly surprised when you get your score back.

I understand this is a short novel, but I figured I'd describe my experience in case it helps even one person.

GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup: Congrats!

How much of the exam do you think was math--how many do you think you got right/wrong(skipped)?

What were your main topics?

Must feel good right now! !;)

Thanks!!!!

I would say I got a good amount of math questions... not sure on the exact number but at least 15.... I got an answer for all of them and double checked my work, so I'm hoping that I got at least most of them right :) I hear the math is weighted more, so really try to be comfortable with it!

My topics were kind of all over, but some topics that I remember getting multiple questions on were compounding, migraines, seizures (PHENYTOIN!!!!), diabetes, and hormone therapy.

Congrats first all!! Thanks for detailed massage really helped a lot! Quick question what abt ID and oncology part did u get any of those?? And hormonal therapy did u get side effect or brand or generics type? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! Uhm I would try to have a good understanding of ID. Fortunately that was one of my stronger topics, so I didn't struggle with that too much, but I would have a pretty good idea of which class/drug covers which bugs, and which allergies to look out for. For oncology, there is just so much info... I would focus on how RxPrep approaches it... don't worry about staging or anything, or even name/generic b/c there are just so many drugs. However, I would know what to give with certain drugs (leucovorin with methotrexate, Dexrazoxane with doxorubicin, ect). For hormone therapy it was more side effects, but it was based off the namebrand, so I would just review what you can :)

these posts about how prenaplex score being similar to actual naplex score is scaring me. i scored 52 when i first took it without studying the book at all just to test my base knowledge, then i took it again (not the same one but purchased another one) after i finished half of the book and only scored 57. i took again yesterday but not prenaplex but pre-FPGEE (just cuz i couldn't purchase pre-naplex again) and scored 85. and took naplex today. gosh i'm really scared..

Don't worry u will pass !! How was ur test overall??
overall i can't say... half half. some i had no clue, some i had to make educated guess, alot of unsure one's.. like down to last possible two choices and had to randomly pick one, math i was able to do most of them, towards the end i had alot of stand alone easy questions that was no brainer.. knew the answer right away without much thinking. if test was a percentage score i feel like i prolly made around 50% or 60%? who knows, could be 40%. i surely did guess alot and missed a ton of easy ones cuz i breezed over on patient profile and missed pertinent information like their allergy, lab values etc etc. oh gosh i'm so worried i can't sleep!