My own 5 year BS/MD route vs Jefferson 6 year BS/MD

Coldsoldier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My own 5 year BS/MD route vs Jefferson 6 year BS/MD.
Ah, so my dream has always been to discover a majestic letter of acceptance to the BS/MD program during my senior year.. To blissfully open the top and softly read each line until i found the words.."CONGRATULATIONS. You've been accepted". It is the very reason i study my ass off and have a 4.0 gpa at the moment and still a sophmore. I've fantasized about my life in Philly: surrounded by an uncomprehendable amount of new sensations and discoveries. To be able to spend 2 years in Penn state..To be able to smell the crisp trees shedding as the seasons change. To spend 4 years in the complete haven of Jefferson Medical college. Oh how i want that...but lieing in the shadows of the abyss comes, a new opportunity. Down in the good Ol' south of Texas lies RCHS. (Richland Collegiate High school).

A program where highschoolers spend their last 2 years of highschool in a college and also get their diploma AND associates..which is the first 2 years of college. So this means i'd already sorta be in a 6 year BS/MD program..But theres another unique thing..Also in texas, lies..Texas Tech. One of the few medcical schools in the U.S. that has the volumptious 3 YEAR MEDICAL SCHOOL curriculum. WOAH. So..that means 2 years of college and 3 in medical school? DAM RIGHT. Ofc, i want to become a doctor as soon as possible and do my part to save lives..but i still have my morals. And one of my biggest is "NO REGRETS". So i'm not sure what to do.Its a very rare chance and i want todo it, but my heart is still in love in PSU/Jeff. But time heals all wounds. HELP MEH!!! Thank you very much =)

Not to mention, the colleges instate would be cheaper than Penn state, but still. I think i'd find some scolarships to make it more affordable if i do go. Please help, i would apreciate all the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't rush undergrad too much. There have been a few otherwise-solid applicants over in the WAMC forum that apply to med school when they're 20/21 and haven't done too well. This may have to do with them having 2 less years to build EC's and otherwise grow as an individual.

Don't bank all of your hopes on one medical school, either. The path to acceptance is too long and arduous to put all your self-worth into getting into one school. Chill. Enjoy yourself.

Isn't the TT program designed for those going into primary care? Which is all well and good if that's what you'll be interested in.

I don't know man. If you're really set on getting through college ASAP, I would go to Texas since you'll know you'll have that and you aren't dependent on getting into one, specific BS/MD program (Jeff). If you go to TX, you'll still be able to finish undergrad in 2 years post-high school, and assuming you get TX residency you'll have an excellent shot at the affordable Texas universities and medical schools.

Well then, that was rather dramatic. Suffice it to say that medicine isn't quite what you apparently expect it to be. Med school can be pretty cool at times, but the first two years are pretty crappy, no matter how you slice it. Third year is great but seriously time-consuming. Nobody likes sleep deprivation. Becoming a doctor as soon as possible to start saving lives? I'll just leave that alone.

On the other hand, college is awesome. If those 4 years aren't among the best of your life, chances are you're doing something seriously wrong (which lots of pre-meds are). Skipping over those years is just straight up a bad plan, especially since you're doing so in favor of wading through a whole crapload of work instead. Go have some fun in college and be a normal kid. Those lives waiting to be saved in the family practice clinic can hang on for a few more years. ;)

My own 5 year BS/MD route vs Jefferson 6 year BS/MD.
Ah, so my dream has always been to discover a majestic letter of acceptance to the BS/MD program during my senior year.. To blissfully open the top and softly read each line until i found the words.."CONGRATULATIONS. You've been accepted". It is the very reason i study my ass off and have a 4.0 gpa at the moment and still a sophmore. I've fantasized about my life in Philly: surrounded by an uncomprehendable amount of new sensations and discoveries. To be able to spend 2 years in Penn state..To be able to smell the crisp trees shedding as the seasons change. To spend 4 years in the complete haven of Jefferson Medical college. Oh how i want that...but lieing in the shadows of the abyss comes, a new opportunity. Down in the good Ol' south of Texas lies RCHS. (Richland Collegiate High school).

A program where highschoolers spend their last 2 years of highschool in a college and also get their diploma AND associates..which is the first 2 years of college. So this means i'd already sorta be in a 6 year BS/MD program..But theres another unique thing..Also in texas, lies..Texas Tech. One of the few medcical schools in the U.S. that has the volumptious 3 YEAR MEDICAL SCHOOL curriculum. WOAH. So..that means 2 years of college and 3 in medical school? DAM RIGHT. Ofc, i want to become a doctor as soon as possible and do my part to save lives..but i still have my morals. And one of my biggest is "NO REGRETS". So i'm not sure what to do.Its a very rare chance and i want todo it, but my heart is still in love in PSU/Jeff. But time heals all wounds. HELP MEH!!! Thank you very much =)

Not to mention, the colleges instate would be cheaper than Penn state, but still. I think i'd find some scolarships to make it more affordable if i do go. Please help, i would apreciate all the advice.

Beware, RCHS sucks but obviously has the benefits, you have no power to drop or withdraw from a course. You go to school like you would if in high-school still. Can't take extra courses or pick your professors. You can do all that in dual-enrollment, at Richland its really good (Which I'm in) too bad it's ending in a year or so. They give you so much flexibility. Your basically a "college student." I'm getting my AS this summer, took 1 yr..

Also, the Texas Tech 3 yr medical program is if your committed towards primary care only, if you want to do anything else then that's not for you.