My Pharm Start Up Blog. No Retail Experience, No Partners, Quit current job.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ANDA is another one to check. They have good deals on generics every now and then. They have a rewards program that accumulates money you can spend on certain drugs. For example a drug like lisinopril that you get MACed on for like $2 can be bought with your rewards money. You aren't making much on it but you got it for free so your getting as much as you can out of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I use ANDA quite a bit as a secondary. Somebody else that you need to check out is Gensource. They have awesome deals on shortdates.

Great forum/thread.
Has anyone recently opened an independent pharmacy in the chicago area? How has the process been with illinois pharmacy board, vendors, etc?
Thinking about opening one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love this thread! The journey seems like an emotional adventure that would keep me high for a long time! Tantalizing...

So the OP seems to be long gone from these forums but after rereading the entire thread from beginning to end it seems it took him nearly 11 months to go from signing the lease to opening for business. Later in the thread he states that now he knows it takes 6-8 months to open up. Does that seem correct to those of you that have opened pharmacies up and have had to do a build out in addition to getting all the appropriate licenses? So in addition to having living expenses saved up for the first year when you most likely won't be able to pay yourself did you all also have living expenses saved up for the additional 6 to 8+ months to cover the time when you were getting the pharmacy open? Or is it possible to keep working elsewhere during that time (even part time) to help cover costs while handling the build out, permits, etc?

Also I noticed he went with purchase of Rx30 even after checking out a number of other systems...I am wondering if he did that because the price point seemed a lot lower than other systems like Pioneer Rx which seems to me to be the superior option but at nearly double the cost might have been prohibitively expensive. I have used a number of different systems so far and I think I would rather save up a bit more to go with the more efficient system as I have seen how cumbersome some systems seem to be and how wasteful of time using some systems are in so many functions of day to day operations. In the beginning of course you have more time than money but once you get going the thought of being stuck with a computing system that is less efficient than it could be would be a nightmare to me. Plus I want whatever system I have to be able to give me the kind of reporting features I need to really fully understand all facets of my business. Any opinions out there regarding choosing pharmacy systems from the get go that are more expensive initially but a better fit for the long haul?