My school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greekmedic71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...does not have very many good teachers in the sciences. Many of the lectures and labs seem "thrown together" and not much thought has gone into lectures or how the material is going to be taught. Should I stick it out and try my best or should I transfer if possible.

I am also worried that I might not be learning all that I need to, especially for the MCAT, does anyone else ever feel this way? Like the school they attend isn't going to prepare them...

I would just like some insight if at all possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds frustrating. Disorganization may or may not be a measure of quality here. You're doing the right thing to question whether you can depend on the lecturers: odds are, you have to take ownership. Let me throw out some thoughts that may or may not apply to you.

I'm curious to know what you're comparing these science classes to. How do they compare to, say, a math class at the same school? Are you, maybe, coming from a small private school into a big public school?

If you haven't taken any hard science before, you may be experiencing a kind of panic attack where you're looking for ANYTHING to explain your stress level. This stuff is really hard, and taking it on can be completely overwhelming - I've seen more than one nervous breakdown in my classmates. I suggest that you pick out a couple of the calm overachiever 19 year olds sitting in the front row, and ask them if they're having the same experience as you. If they're managing, you have to manage too.

You can assume that questionable lecture quality is a permanent problem that you'll have to deal with in med school as well. It's a given that you'll have lecturers who speak with very thick impenetrable accents, who are painfully shy, who are hostile, who want a bully pulpit, who have Asberger's, etc. You have to succeed anyway. Aargh.

In these classes, do you get a syllabus? Does the syllabus lay out what subjects are covered, in what order, and what textbook activities you should be doing for each subject? Do you have the info necessary to take charge of the coursework?

You can find a list of the subjects on the MCAT on the AAMC website, here. When you're just starting prereqs, it all looks like gibberish, but after maybe the first exam you can start ticking off topics. Fundamentally, and I think you realize this already, when you start preparing to take the MCAT, you need to be reviewing, not learning, the material.

Lastly, it's common, particularly among nontrads who have worked in professional industries, to be discouraged by disorganization in what should be very standardized material. I continue to be amazed by faculty and support staff who are intimidated by the internet, who think that students using recording devices are going to sell a lecture MP3 for actual money, who put up a powerpoint that doesn't match the copy students get (printed or online) and can't figure out why that might be a problem, etc. And it's a rarity to have a professor who doesn't get way behind and then shove a boatload of material onto you in the last week of the term.

Sigh.

Best of luck to you.

To OP, your intuition may be right. I've heard similar sentiments from students of predominately art colleges that have a small science department. Inversely, I have also heard this from students at big research UC schools, where the focus of the faculty is NOT teaching. If this is the case, and there is a better school nearby, you may want to crash a couple of classes at the other school to see if there is a big difference.

Good Luck!

calm overachiever 19 year olds

As an aside, these people are GREAT for group work....the really tow the line. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If the teaching sucks, leave if possible.
Better to take classes somewhere that has other premed students, or at least a lot bound for biology grad school, nursing and PT school, etc.

once you've finished a complete prerequisite sequence - physics, general chemistry or bio most likely - get that sequence's examkrackers subject book (not the 1001 questions book). if you get through the book and the little subject tests at the end of each chapter and you feel like everything in the book was pretty familiar and that it was a review, then you're okay.

if not, then not.