My Situation, I need Help plz!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamlegend

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have just completed my first year as an undergrad at a UC. My cumulative gpa is around 3.0ish. For the three quarters I received a C+, C, C+ in General Chemistry, which is disappointing. For spring quarter I received all A's except in Chem (C+). I try my best to study and prepare myself for the chem exams but I guess its just not my thing. I am glad this year is over because I had a lot of distractions around me and I hope to focus more on my study next year even though I have O Chem and Bio. For this summer I was thinking of shadowing different specialty offices. I need some advice on study habits for next year and how I can prepare myself for ochem and bio. As for the shadowing I am going to try to shadow different dentist but I was wondering how long should I observe for a single day and how often I should shadow a week? And is there anything else I should do to help me build a stronger application so that I can make up for my horrible first year. Thank so much. Appreciate all feed back.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess if you have the time go for as much shadowing you can pull off. Also, you might want to talk to the dentist you'll shadow about that. Like mine takes Tuesday afternoons off so I can't shadow then.

I believe in attending every lecture to start off. A lot of college students seem to underestimate that. Not only does it help your grade, you (or your parents) pay for it! And if you need additional help, ask your professor! With the exception of very few professors, they will be glad you came in for help. I've heard otherwise from my friends but for me I like to read the book after attending the lecture rather than reading before it. I found out it helps best if I read the section that the professor lectured on within a few days. It helps to refresh the materials and fill in details and such the professor might not have touched in lecture.

P.S. Be sure you review g-chem material on your own sometime cause it comes out on the DAT!

So I have just completed my first year as an undergrad at a UC. My cumulative gpa is around 3.0ish. For the three quarters I received a C+, C, C+ in General Chemistry, which is disappointing. For spring quarter I received all A's except in Chem (C+). I try my best to study and prepare myself for the chem exams but I guess its just not my thing. I am glad this year is over because I had a lot of distractions around me and I hope to focus more on my study next year even though I have O Chem and Bio. For this summer I was thinking of shadowing different specialty offices. I need some advice on study habits for next year and how I can prepare myself for ochem and bio. As for the shadowing I am going to try to shadow different dentist but I was wondering how long should I observe for a single day and how often I should shadow a week? And is there anything else I should do to help me build a stronger application so that I can make up for my horrible first year. Thank so much. Appreciate all feed back.

Try to understand the mechanisms instead of memorizing them.

As for shadowing, it all depends on how much time you have. Just make sure you get around 100 hours or so before you apply and you should be golden.