My situation

Southkid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a junior HS. GPA: 3.9 unweighted. Age: 17
Most definitely will be going to CC for 2 years (financially suited for me) then transferring to a 4 year university and major in Computer Science (CS) Why CS? Because I've always been good with computers ever since I was 11. I know several programming languages (php, c++, java and vb.net). Then hopefully get into med school and do 4/5 years of residency. I've always considered getting into med since my father was a lawyer. But so far everyone I've told about me getting into med they looked at me like I was crazy! Family and friends always figured me as a a perfect candidate for the IT area. Starting to consider they're right, but at the same time the medical field looks so interesting/fascinating to me I've always loved Science in general.

I know I still have senior year, and undergrad years to decide if I want to get into med, I'm a very organized person and I like to have a plan before I do anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently a junior HS. GPA: 3.9 unweighted. Age: 17
Most definitely will be going to CC for 2 years (financially suited for me) then transferring to a 4 year university and major in Computer Science (CS) Why CS? Because I've always been good with computers ever since I was 11. I know several programming languages (php, c++, java and vb.net). Then hopefully get into med school and do 4/5 years of residency. I've always considered getting into med since my father was a lawyer. But so far everyone I've told about me getting into med they looked at me like I was crazy! Family and friends always figured me as a a perfect candidate for the IT area. Starting to consider they're right, but at the same time the medical field looks so interesting/fascinating to me I've always loved Science in general.

I know I still have senior year, and undergrad years to decide if I want to get into med, I'm a very organized person and I like to have a plan before I do anything.

As long as you accept that some things are calculated risks, plan all you want, but don't let it interfere with actually doing just because you can't plan to the end.

Doesn't really sound like you have much of a question, but I'd only offer the suggestion that when you get to college, you keep your mind open. Medicine may not be what you think it is -- it isn't for a majority of high schoolers -- and you might find that maybe IT is more "your thing" than medicine ever could be. Or law, or business, or something else. College freshmen who have horse blinders on, saying "Igottagetintomedschool, Igottagetintomedschool" are doing nothing but deluding themselves.

I was also torn between medicine and IT. I chose the former and elected to keep IT, and at least a couple other potential careers in an alternate universe, as hobbies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think getting your undergrad in something that you love is very important. Your specific major would take away the fear of having a back up plan. You would be guaranteed a job whether you decide to go into medicine or not. I believe that you would have a heavier course load trying to fit in computer science and premed classes in together.

I am guessing you just want to hear people's opinion on your situation and what you should do in the near future as you're about to enter your senior year(especially pertaining to medicine considering you're on sdn).

Well, I will start of by explaining my situation, and I am sure you can gather lots of bits and pieces from that.

Currently a senior at Arizona State studying Biology/Biochemistry and accepted to UACOM. HS GPA: 3.6 unweigeted? ASU GPA: 3.8c 3.7s Age: 18

I skipped the first 2 years of college through AP and dual credit and skipped senior year in HS after starting school a year early (4 years ahead total). I have been programming since I was probably 12 and know a myriad of languages (you know one, you can pretty much learn them all). I have assisted in forming and managing Sysnprocs Llc (A small IT company with several other services). I decided to pursue an education in science because I felt like I would rather learn what I needed to (about computers) from practical experience (like the IT company or my other jobs). I got involved with bioinformatics as soon as I entered college and fell in love. I had aspirations to be a doctor already from other experiences (volunteering and sickness in the family). I then started working in a lab that focused on bioinformatics and loved it more. Continued in science education because I found it interesting and had my computer "fix" through research and development of an innovative new EMR and the IT company. Through all my science and biomedical informatics involvement, I just felt like the next step was to apply my skills and experience in the medical field, so I applied and got in. Now lets see what I pick up and how I innovate... Everyone says life is short and you have to have everything planned out, but don't forget that some of the best ideas and some of the best opportunities come off a whim. Go ahead and plan, but the best planners leave room for spontaneity.

Right now, I dont think there is really a reason for you to plan so far ahead. Do what you like in Undergrad. If that means computers, do CS, if that means science, do science. The deal is that if you fall in love with medicine, the blocks will fall into place and you will find a way to connect your education to medicine. Either way, just try your hardest at everything you do and try to never turn down an opportunity and you will succeed.