My SMP/postbacc options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diablo_burrito

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I want to discuss my options. I am currently a senior majoring in pre-med biology with a minor in chemistry. I am in my last semester and I have had to extend my graduation by two years. My current school GPA is close to 2.5 and I understand this is a low GPA, but there were a lot of things that occurred in my undergraduate career which led to this. I realize I will have to do a SMP to get into a medical school. Despite having a low GPA, my EC are strong with hundreds of research hours, recently starting as a. shadow/scribe for a physician, being an officer in my school's pre-medical club and pharmacy club, while also doing student government for 2-3 years. Doing classes at an Extensions will not make much difference. So my questions to everyone are:
  1. What schools/SMP should I apply to?
  2. Do schools look at your application holistically, if they say they are holistic?
Please let me know and give guidance. I know things didn't go my way throughout my undergraduate career, but believe me, I am not a bad student, just the circumstances were such. My strategy is to apply to SMPs that have no GPA requirement. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you read Goro's Guide to Reinvention in the Premed forums.

You may have to take more postbac courses. With an undergrad GPA below 3, some programs won't take you without some record of success in more recent courses. What are your yearly GPAs, especially science/BCMP?

Where do you live? Are there schools you want to attend that reasonably consider Reinvention? DO schools? MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
I could take postbacc courses, but I believe it wouldn't make much of a difference as I have too many units. May I PM you my stats? I live in SoCal and I want to attend the WesternU's MSMS program or PCOM SMP as I believe they would probably be ideal. I am interested in osteopathic schools as I am interested in the holistic philosophy.

Do schools look at your application holistically, if they say they are holistic?
All MD schools must look at factors besides MCAT and gpa in order to remain accredited by the LCME.
That said, "holistic" does not mean that grades and scores don't count. A pattern of low performance will not be offset by EC's or even stellar personal qualities. A history of poor grades can only be addressed by a sustained period of academic excellence in undergraduate classes (or an SMP).

Members don't see this ad :)
All MD schools must look at factors besides MCAT and gpa in order to remain accredited by the LCME.
That said, "holistic" does not mean that grades and scores don't count. A pattern of low performance will not be offset by EC's or even stellar personal qualities. A history of poor grades can only be addressed by a sustained period of academic excellence in undergraduate classes (or an SMP).
That is why I want to do an SMP as a means of proving to schools that I can handle it and excel in it. Also, my question was geared more towards the admissions of an SMP program.

Also, my question was geared more towards the admissions of an SMP program.
When you find one that will accept your gpa, let us know! That way we can better advise others who find themselves in your situation.
You may need to take a sufficient number of upper division sciences to convince them. The ones affiliated with DO schools are probably your best bet. Contact the ones nearest you.

Last edited:
When you find one that will accept your gpa, let us know! That way we can better advise others who find themselves in your situation.
You may need to take a sufficient number of upper division sciences to convince them. The ones affiliated with DO schools are probably your best bet. Contact the ones nearest you.
So taking a few upper-division classes at an extension first would be my best bet? In your opinion, do I have a fair shot trying for an SMP right out of undergraduate with my other stats later this year? I have been showing an upward trend in my remaining classes and to add to my other stats, by the time I will apply, I will have three LOR's, one being from a physician. Please let me know.

So taking a few upper-division classes at an extension first would be my best bet? In your opinion, do I have a fair shot trying for an SMP right out of undergraduate with my other stats later this year? I have been showing an upward trend in my remaining classes and to add to my other stats, by the time I will apply, I will have three LOR's, one being from a physician. Please let me know.
Each SMP is different. One would need to contact them directly if their website is unclear regarding requirements for consideration.
Physician letters (especially shadowing letters) don't hold much water at most MD schools. DO schools seem to love a DO letter, however. SMP requirements for letters will also vary.

Hello everyone,
I want to discuss my options. I am currently a senior majoring in pre-med biology with a minor in chemistry. I am in my last semester and I have had to extend my graduation by two years. My current school GPA is close to 2.5 and I understand this is a low GPA, but there were a lot of things that occurred in my undergraduate career which led to this. I realize I will have to do a SMP to get into a medical school. Despite having a low GPA, my EC are strong with hundreds of research hours, recently starting as a. shadow/scribe for a physician, being an officer in my school's pre-medical club and pharmacy club, while also doing student government for 2-3 years. Doing classes at an Extensions will not make much difference. So my questions to everyone are:
  1. What schools/SMP should I apply to?
  2. Do schools look at your application holistically, if they say they are holistic?
Please let me know and give guidance. I know things didn't go my way throughout my undergraduate career, but believe me, I am not a bad student, just the circumstances were such. My strategy is to apply to SMPs that have no GPA requirement. Thank you
I had a 2.8 GPA and took about 20 credits of hard science credits and aced it, so that I could show the SMP that I was ready. It came up during the interview and I believe it a big part of why they were confident in selecting me. I had basically proven to them with actions, not just words, that I was capable of handling the courses.

I had a 2.8 GPA and took about 20 credits of hard science credits and aced it, so that I could show the SMP that I was ready. It came up during the interview and I believe it a big part of why they were confident in selecting me. I had basically proven to them with actions, not just words, that I was capable of handling the courses.
If I was to, I can take these postbacc courses at an extension university right? For example, UCLA Extension?

If I was to, I can take these postbacc courses at an extension university right? For example, UCLA Extension?
Yes! I took courses that fit into my schedule any way possible. Night courses, online asynchronous, you name it. As long as they are upper division biology they are good.

Yes! I took courses that fit into my schedule any way possible. Night courses, online asynchronous, you name it. As long as they are upper division biology they are good.
Understood. The reason why I was reluctant for Extension was because someone told me that due to my high number of units, it would be hard to bring my GPA up. But I guess as long as I show an upward trend in upper-division classes, that's all that matters right?

Understood. The reason why I was reluctant for Extension was because someone told me that due to my high number of units, it would be hard to bring my GPA up. But I guess as long as I show an upward trend in upper-division classes, that's all that matters right?
Correct. Your goal is not getting your 2.5 to a 3.0 which would take an inordinate load of credits (and you'd probably run out of eligible classes to take before then). Your goal is to show academic reinvention over the past 30~ hard science credits and then apply SMP.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct. Your goal is not getting your 2.5 to a 3.0 which would take an inordinate load of credits (and you'd probably run out of eligible classes to take before then). Your goal is to show academic reinvention over the past 30~ hard science credits and then apply SMP.
So since I want to apply this cycle, I should take a few upper div courses in the summer and then apply? Also how many classes is ideal?

So since I want to apply this cycle, I should take a few upper div courses in the summer and then apply? Also how many classes is ideal?
SMP application timelines are different than med school, they're more like masters/undergrad timeline where you apply in the spring, deadline is late spring/early summer, attend in the fall. You'd be applying now if you want to attend an SMP this fall, or applying next spring after you take postbacc courses this summer and fall.

Also where are you at with the MCAT? Some SMPs require the MCAT, some don't

SMP application timelines are different than med school, they're more like masters/undergrad timeline where you apply in the spring, deadline is late spring/early summer, attend in the fall. You'd be applying now if you want to attend an SMP this fall, or applying next spring after you take postbacc courses this summer and fall.

Also where are you at with the MCAT? Some SMPs require the MCAT, some don't
Some applications will be opening up this August or later in order to start next August. I have taken the MCAT and I'm waiting for scores. I plan on applying this August so I have a year for saving money and getting more and more experience.