My stats and the schools I want to apply to..HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so my GPA is decent...something like a 3.65 overall, 3.55 BCP. I'm Canadian and attend U of Toronto. I have some amazing volunteer experiences like school building missions in Africa and being a co-founder in a new charity. I also have research experience..2 years. I have been an executive member on a school council concerned with social change around the world and have been involved in university sports for 3 years (namely soccer). I haven't taken the DAT yet but will in July sometime.

I hadn't really thought about all the schools i want to apply to but then when i signed up for the DAT they asked which schools I want my marks sent to. I put down :

U Maryland, Harvard, Case, BU, NYU, UPenn, Columbia, and Tufts.

My question is, with my stats, and considering I'll do relatively well (above average) on the DAT, are these schools good targets for me. I understand Harvard is a bit of a reach but I might as well try.

The other question I have is are there any schools that I could apply to and have a decent chance of getting in as a Canadian that has lower tuition than the privates. Paying $70,000 a year is kinda steep. SHould I apply to state schools, do i have the stats to get in as an international?

Also, are there any state schools that consider Canadians out-of-staters?

So..which schools am I missing? Where would you apply to if you were me?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds to me you can apply anywhere you like. Is that what you are hoping we will say?

http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm

I would take a look at that website and look at the average stats for the schools. Plenty of schools admit international students as out of state students, you'll just have to call the admissions office and check. One guy in my class has citizenship in libya, he's taking his citizenship tests this year though.

Your stats are competitive, i'm sure you'll get into some or most of the schools you apply to on that list if your DAT is well. You really really want to try to get 20+ scores on everything to give yourself an edge.

http://ada.org/prof/ed/programs/search_ddsdmd_us.asp

Look at the stats and call the admissions offices that you're interested in. More than likely the secretary could answer any questions you have, or the admissions officers (dean) will be able to email you or call you back.

Members don't see this ad :)
reLAXgirl said:
Sounds to me you can apply anywhere you like. Is that what you are hoping we will say?

Actually, if you read my post, you'll see that my main question is about state schools or schools with lower tuition that I could get into as a Canadian. Yeah, I know my GPA is competitive for NYU but I also don't want to end up paying all the money if I can get into a better school with lower tuition.

Thanks for the advice CJ Wolf!

So could anyone suggest schools that are cheaper in tuition that I'd have a good shot at. Of course I'll have to call them and ask about my situation but I was wondering if any Canadians specifically had applied to state schools with success.