My Story - Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kappadonna13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to the board. I'm actually from Canada, eh.

I've been running into a lot of brick walls and am unsure about my options for medical school. I am open to any sound advice you may have.

I graduated from the University of Toronto in 2005 with a pretty poor cGPA of 2.5. I put aside my thoughts of going to medical school; however, shortly after graduating, I was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder. After learning to cope with these disabilities, I starting thinking about medical school again. I decided to return to do an extra year of undergrad to boost up my GPA. I did extremely well; however, my cGPA only went up to 2.7.

If you drop my five lowest marks, I end up with a 3.0 overall. I know this doesn't cut it for medical school - but I went ahead and wrote the MCAT anyway. I ended up with a 27Q (11 Bio - 10 Phys - 6 Verbal). Not the best score. I had been hitting 8's and 9's in verbal before going into the MCAT, but it just wasn't my day.

Although my GPA is poor and my MCAT score is below average, I have an incredible amount of volunteer and hospital experience! I've worked as a research coordinator for two years in Toronto and abroad. I've also worked in a hospital lab in South Asia. I've coordinated several major fundraising efforts in Toronto - including one initiative that I created myself to raise funds for the Canadian Cancer Society. Furthermore, I even have a publication. I've also worked as a tutor in chemistry. I've had the opportunity to shadow with many doctors and have been encouraged by them to apply and see what happens. I am confident that my referees will provide strong letters of reference.

I am applying towards a Masters program in Canada while I also apply for medical school. I am not having much luck with meeting the GPA cut-offs in Canada and have not started to look at international medical schools. Having learned to deal with my disabilities, I have become headstrong about pursuing a career in medicine. I don't want to give up so easily and I'm willing to make sacrifices to reach my dream. That being said, I know that medical schools in the United States will be pricey - but I will do what it takes. I'm not going to give up.

I'm just trying to get some advice from others about my situation.
Do you think I should bother applying to medical school internationally?
Is there a chance with my marks and MCAT that I even have a shot?

I'd appreciate any help with this and would appreciate your realistic advice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding of a situation like yours would be to apply to a few forgiving Allopathic schools (and pray) but at the same time apply to Osteopathic schools rather than international schools.

Plenty of doctors are DO's and as long as you get through the schooling and are a competent, determined person you will have success and eventually be a doctor if you so chose. Good luck in whatever route you head in!

As you already know, your numbers will get you screened out at pretty much all Canadian schools. If you have a personal relationship with faculty at UofT I'd apply there so you can get their weighting formula. But beyond that, IMO, you would have a better shot of getting in somewhere in the U.S. than in Canada. Especially since your ECs look intriguing, ther are quire a few schools that look at the big picture unlike in Canada.

The masters will help you tremendously in Canada (even though you are still judged by your undergrad GPA, you get put into a separate pool of applicants with grad degrees). However for the US you would really need an SMP or something to pull your ugGPA up to 3.0.

Someone else hopefully can comment on the MCAT situation because I really don't know. The problem with an MCAT retake is you could take it in September and score above the 10/10/10 screening limit for Canada, but then you'd be delaying your application in the states (they are almost all rolling). If you haven't submitted your AMCAS yet however it's already fairly late for your stats. I don't know whether you would be better off with a 2.7/27 complete in September or with a 2.7/30+ complete in October.

IMHO, I would wait a year and ace that masters/special masters. I know the 3.0 isn't a "hard" requirement and someone will definitely post about having a 2.9 or something and still getting in. But your life will be much easier if you can get there.

Edit: Also should mention that DO graduates can only match in ON and BC if you're planning on returning to Canada.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know the 3.0 isn't a "hard" requirement...
Actually, if you're applying to a school that screens, it may very well be. For the record, a 2.7 is still very low at DO schools. I think the average was in the neighborhood of 3.4-3.5 last i checked.

I suggest doing an "informal postbac" which basically means taking over a bunch of classes you did poorly in. If you got anything below a C in your prereqs, you'll need to take them again anyway. AMCAS will factor your new grades into your GPA, but at least you'll show that you can now handle the workload. AACOMAS, the DO application service, will be more forgiving and will replace your old grades with your new ones, so retaking those courses could result in your GPA skyrocketing.

In short, I, too, would suggest delaying your application a year. Retake/take some classes - preferably science ones - and study hard for the MCAT.

i agree with Milkman. i would take a year or two and do a postbac program, bring up thos science grades and study way hard for the MCAT. if you can kick ass (35+) then i think you will have a better chance at lower tier MD and DO schools.