My Thoughts on Chad's Videos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Technorino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are lot of threads regarding his videos with two different arguments saying oh they are more for the DAT than the MCAT, don't waste your money etc etc.

My review on them. If you are hesitating whether or not to buy the video subscription, do not hesitate. They can only help.

Instead of buying a long subscription, just spend $50 that you would spend elsewhere buying a practice book or what not and buy a 30 day subscription to his MCAT videos page.

My scores improved like crazy for the Physical Sciences (6 and 7's to consistent 11-13s for the past few full length's i've taken)

My scores improved a lot for the Organic section too (40% to about 80%...percentage wise)

The scores for bio were improved using other methods such as Khan Academy, TBR (yes.).

The biggest advantage his videos gave to the Chem/Physics/Orgo sections was actually SEEING the reactions, and SEEING what actually went on, and hearing his little comments and unique way of making you understand the material.

Best $50 I've spent on practice materials so far.

There are some things that he covers that may be specific to DAT but he tells you so you don't waste your time. But that material is maybe .05% of the entire video selection he offers.

I waited like 2 weeks before getting his videos but if I had known this like 3 months ago....i would be golden.

Just my 2 cents :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 -- I used them for General Chemistry and Physics - saw improvement and would recommend them. Did the $50 for one month subscription.

I've heard a lot of buzz, and while I've already hoarded a stupid amount of prep material (using Kaplan, EK, and TBR), I'm interested in the video.

OP, what was it about the videos that made you literally double your PS score? Did he reference any practice or anything of that nature? Surely a single lecture over a topic isn't the golden ticket to scoring in the 90th percentile.

I've heard a lot of buzz, and while I've already hoarded a stupid amount of prep material (using Kaplan, EK, and TBR), I'm interested in the video.

OP, what was it about the videos that made you literally double your PS score? Did he reference any practice or anything of that nature? Surely a single lecture over a topic isn't the golden ticket to scoring in the 90th percentile.

Well unlike Sal Khan or Freelance teacher Chad has a PhD in organic chemistry, knows how to explain physical sciences in depth without over complicating things and has video's on every major topic the mcat could test. I'm actually rather sad that I didn't find him earlier tbh, it would have saved me from using Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me there benefit to these videos was being able to visualize what was happening. Reading the material out of the book made it really hard for me to see what to do with the equations for physics, or how things are actually fitting together for organic chem. Seeing the walk-through of the problems was really helpful. I like his videos over the free ones for two reasons. One, his are exactly tailored to the test, meaning he teaches only the material we need to know (for the most part), and he provides great outlines for the lectures. The other thing is that you can watch them in fast-play and he talks at a good speed. I get so bored watching the other videos because they go so slow. He assumes that you've already taken the course, which you should have, and goes through everything at a good pace so you can pick up what you missed the first time (you can watch it again, or pause to catch up), and can be reminded of what you've forgotten. I wouldn't say I've gone up 6 points or anything, but I'm much less frustrated when learning the material than I was when I was working out of the books. Especially EK, which doesn't work out example problems.

I probably would have done well in a review course for the same reasons, but I chose not to take one because of the expense, and his videos are a much cheaper alternative. I'm not sure how much they would help on top of a course where theoretically they also teach you. Though it is nice to have the ability to rewind, pause, or rewatch things.

Last edited:
I could google this, but why not boost post count? :p

Does he have any sample videos? While I'll appreciate the tax deductible $50 purchase, I'd like to form an opinion before handing over my money.

I was able to watch one for free when I was looking. I think it was the first physics video under mcat prep.

Here's the contrasting point: I've heard a respectable number of reviews, none of which have been been less than good.

How much is Chad paying you people?

Chad hasn't paid me anything... alo I believe Chad physics lacks in Electricity, Magnetism, Optics Sound and Waves... a big chuck of physics 2.

Chad hasn't paid me anything... alo I believe Chad physics lacks in Electricity, Magnetism, Optics Sound and Waves... a big chuck of physics 2.

I hope he hasn't, I was kidding. :laugh:

And that's a deal breaker for me if Physics 2 material is lacking. That's a weak spot for me (taking the class now.)

I'd love to get paid, I've spent way too much on this test already. I was wondering when people would start asking that though. I agree, they're not perfect. There was a ton of info about benzenes, alkene reactions, and alkyne reactions that we don't need to know, and sometimes he misspeaks, or the people in the class ask annoying questions. However, that said, I'm currently watching the last batch of them for my exam 9/11, and I think they've helped me a lot.

Also, are you saying they're non-existant, or that they're just of poor quality.

The reason I asked is because a quick browse of his site led me to the very topical videos you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chad is not a Dental student but the guy who cofounded the website with him (Alan) is a dental student. Chad is an instructor (I don't know his real credentials, someone mentioned a PhD in ochem). I just bought the 30 day MCAT package a week ago. I was planning on only buying ochem but since I only need 30 days, the whole mcat package was better. I have been using him and can honestly say that he is a great teacher. Yes, it is true that sometimes the students in the class he is lecturing to ask questions (and it sucks that you can't hear their questions most of the time) but it is like being in a normal classroom. According to most people, his ochem and chem are far better than his physics, which makes sense since he is not a physicist. However, I still enjoy his physics section as he explains concepts pretty well but maybe not as detailed as prep books do. He also works through problems which is nice since many prep books (TBR excluded) do not have enough explanations for their problems. I would definitely recommend these videos and wish I had found them earlier.

Only caveat is that he just recently started developing bio so it's not a complete review of all subjects. I haven't used him for bio as I find EK, wikipedia and the Khan Academy sufficient.

And no, unlike another poster's suggestion, we are not being paid to write good things. I think we just want to pass on some valuable info to test takers so we can all do awesome on the MCAT!

Hope the long winded review helps!

Chad's videos were really helpful for learning and understanding the material in a quick and easy way. A bunch of the girls I knew in grad school fell in love with him through those videos haha.

I know there are lot of threads regarding his videos with two different arguments saying oh they are more for the DAT than the MCAT, don't waste your money etc etc.

My review on them. If you are hesitating whether or not to buy the video subscription, do not hesitate. They can only help.

Instead of buying a long subscription, just spend $50 that you would spend elsewhere buying a practice book or what not and buy a 30 day subscription to his MCAT videos page.

My scores improved like crazy for the Physical Sciences (6 and 7's to consistent 11-13s for the past few full length's i've taken)

My scores improved a lot for the Organic section too (40% to about 80%...percentage wise)

The scores for bio were improved using other methods such as Khan Academy, TBR (yes.).

The biggest advantage his videos gave to the Chem/Physics/Orgo sections was actually SEEING the reactions, and SEEING what actually went on, and hearing his little comments and unique way of making you understand the material.

Best $50 I've spent on practice materials so far.

There are some things that he covers that may be specific to DAT but he tells you so you don't waste your time. But that material is maybe .05% of the entire video selection he offers.

I waited like 2 weeks before getting his videos but if I had known this like 3 months ago....i would be golden.

Just my 2 cents :)

I found this review to be helpful. Thanks

The Physics videos mentioned above to be "poor" are not exactly "poor."

Quality of material presented:

Gen Chem 9.7/10
Physics 9/10
Organic Chem 9/10
Biology 6-7/10 (because physiology is non-existent but the Bio videos are FREE.)

Also the question regarding what it is that chad gave me to boost my scores from 6's and 7's to 11's and 12's is just clarity. HEARING the material coming from another person as opposed to sitting there and trying to learn it is a different experience.

It is only $50 and I in no way am being told to do this. I just thought I would give my insight regarding the whole "should I get chad's videos?" dilemma because I was in that same thought process and decided to go with it. Have not regretted.

I have been using Chad's videos for the past 6 months. I would definitely recommend his videos but don't just watch them. Use them as if you are in the class and take rigorous notes. His lectures run parallel to EK's books so what I would do is watch his lectures and then read the books. Another thing I loved about his videos is that you can play the videos 1.5x rather than dreading through concepts you already know. Trust me, the money is definitely worth it. If you learn better by someone teaching you the concept rather than learning it on your on, get these videos. Any questions, let me know

I just realized Chad took his Gen Chem review from TPR...if I know this before hand I could of just saved my money... I am in a TPR course.

I just started using Chad videos. OMG this is the best study material to quickly understand concepts.
This is the best teacher I've come across.

He might have a couple of sample videos for free.

I subscribe to his lectures and will probably end up extending my subscription. They are a great supplement.

Yeah, I'm planning to take Organic I & II over the summer, but I have a few other time commitments as well. So I was hoping I can get a bit ahead and have a less stressful time. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about reading 2nd Language book....

Last edited:
The Orgo as a Second Language book is very good to start, but it's not enough for the whole class. It doesn't go in depth. But it is a very, very good introduction to OChem and it will make your class text easier to digest when the time comes to read it!

Yeah, I'm planning to take Organic I & II over the summer, but I have a few other time commitments as well. So I was hoping I can get a bit ahead and have a less stressful of a time. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about reading 2nd Language book....

Okay here is my real life take on chad videos>>>>>>u gon love this one)))

So, just finished ORGO-II
Not my strongest hold when it comes to academics. I would say that was the hardest class of my entire pre-professional classes. As mechanisms were getting underway and spectroscopy and what not (all the graphical representations of chemicals)...i was loosing it. So, i decided to check out Chads vids as I had already heard that they are good. Now, am talking from the point that i couldn't understand the spec stuff at all (mass spec, IR, NMR)...i couldn't get it for whatever the case might be. So all through the lectures I would just node my head...take notes, and nothing made sense. Before the exam, i bought the videos for just those topics and only that. I watched the videos carefully, took careful detailed notes, went back and read my notes reviewed. Went on to take my test and score just about the highest in the class for that exam (considering the entire class had only 3 exams a semester***really boosted my class grade***)

In any case, not to make it long winded...the videos are raw. I am proof positive that you can go from 0=not understanding a concept to 95-100% comprehension.

P.S: i bought some more videos on other topics and still went from 0 to about 90 comprehension of those topics.

All in all...the best vids out there (coming from the mouth of a guy who watched all the khan academy videos)

Okay here is my real life take on chad videos>>>>>>u gon love this one)))

So, just finished ORGO-II
Not my strongest hold when it comes to academics. I would say that was the hardest class of my entire pre-professional classes. As mechanisms were getting underway and spectroscopy and what not (all the graphical representations of chemicals)...i was loosing it. So, i decided to check out Chads vids as I had already heard that they are good. Now, am talking from the point that i couldn't understand the spec stuff at all (mass spec, IR, NMR)...i couldn't get it for whatever the case might be. So all through the lectures I would just node my head...take notes, and nothing made sense. Before the exam, i bought the videos for just those topics and only that. I watched the videos carefully, took careful detailed notes, went back and read my notes reviewed. Went on to take my test and score just about the highest in the class for that exam (considering the entire class had only 3 exams a semester***really boosted my class grade***)

In any case, not to make it long winded...the videos are raw. I am proof positive that you can go from 0=not understanding a concept to 95-100% comprehension.

P.S: i bought some more videos on other topics and still went from 0 to about 90 comprehension of those topics.

All in all...the best vids out there (coming from the mouth of a guy who watched all the khan academy videos)

That sounds pretty epic. Great job, btw. Will I have to buy each video separately or is there like a subscription fee where I can just stream through a payed period? Thanks btw.

I like your sig lol

That sounds pretty epic. Great job, btw. Will I have to buy each video separately or is there like a subscription fee where I can just stream through a payed period? Thanks btw.

I like your sig lol

http://www.coursesaver.com/videos/MCAT/

link above will take you right to it...
I know you want to get ahead..i don't know if it will help you watching his videos without knowing the concepts first from a classroom stand point. They really help you see the light after sitting in a 3 hr lecture and not grasping jack.

This is really useful. I've been on the fence about these. Since last summer didn't go so well, I'm always looking for different approaches. Here we are!

I like his stuff. Helps for MCAT review (I don't think it should be your sole study technique). Has any one else noticed he wears a lot of shirts with christian references?

He is religious (Christian) as he mentioned in one of his biology videos that he is not going to discuss the origin of life (the scientific idea of it) b/c he doesn't believe in it or something like that.