MY TURN; Breakdown and study habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theGNOME

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! It is finally my turn to post my scores and see what everyone thinks. I will also explain how I studied for each section for future test takers. Hope this is helpful and encouraging.

PAT - 24
QR - 19
RC - 21
BIO - 20
GCHEM - 18
ORGO - 22
TS - 20
AA - 20

So, overall I am pleased with the results. I would have liked to do better in Gchem, but this has always been my worst science and I was expecting it to be my lowest one on test day. Just glad I didnt do worse than that. Here is how I prepared.

Topscore - Great indicator of PAT and reading comprehension scores. Pretty solid indicator of math results too. I did much worse on my science practices on Topscore than I did on my real exam.

Dat Destroyer/Math Destroyer - These books are essential to conquering the sciences and QR section of the DAT. Make sure to study these books multiple times and keep your head on straight while doing so. It may be hard but it is worth it.

Crack DAT PAT - Lovely program. Can't beat it for PAT.

PAT - I used Crack DAT PAT, the 5 test version. The tests on this program are very similar to the actual DAT, except for the hole punching and the cube counting section - the actual DAT is easier in this sense. But, prepare hard and the results will be rewarding. I also used topscore, which is easier, but a good indicator of how you will do on test day.

QR - For this section I went through the Math Destroyer and practiced more on Topscore as well. Math Destroyer is harder than the actual thing, but that may be because my test was more algebra heavy than it was trig. However, Topscore may be too easy to fully prepare for the actual test. By the time you get to QR your brain will be tired, keep that in mind.

RC - Topscore is the best indicator of how you will do in this section, in my opinion. Search and Destroy was my method, but everyone needs to just do what is best for them.

TOTAL SCIENCE - Dat Destroyer

BIO - I read the Dat Destroyer 3x and then some. The key is the solutions. So much information is packed into the solutions and the wrong answer choices too. Don't just read a question and know the right answer. Study the solutions, study the wrong choices and why they are wrong.

GCHEM - Again, I went through the destroyer about 3 times for this section. Although my score wasn't as high as I had hoped, I was definitely prepared to do well. I was a little flustered when I got to this section so I rushed through it a bit, anxious to get to the orgo. I attribute that to my score being a bit lower than anticipated..

ORGO - I felt most prepared for this section going in. Again I used the destroyer, and went through each problem twice. I know I should have gotten one question right that I just blanked on, so I should have even scored higher, but that's ok.

I hope this helps anyone with questions. Feel free to post any other questions underneath, and I will respond as soon as possible. The only last bit of advice I can give is CONFIDENCE - this is key. Go into your test knowing you studied to the best of your abilities and nothing will get in your way. Own your test, and celebrate after it is over :D.

Members don't see this ad.

You know. Towards those of us who have seen breakdowns with nothing but

"Real PAT is harder than CDP"

"Search and destroy DOES NOT WORK on RC"

or

"Topscore's RC was TOO easy and had too much S&D"

I think I speak for all of us folks here when I say that our confidence WOULD have been boosted by your HEAVENLY breakdown but sadly...we paranoid as hell up in here. =(

Congrats on your scores nonetheless! Sure as hell wouldn't mind getting whatever test you got...damn!

Members don't see this ad :)