N/A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubs421

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Basic science research isn't a part time gig. I was told that it really should be occupying 75% if not 90% of your time if you plan on taking it seriously. Most of the basic science researchers in my home program have <1 clinic day per week.

Same with the dermpath people. (They usually hold 1/2 days worth of their own clinic each week)

And the MOHS people don't even bother with regular clinic.

Sorry, sounds like you would be spreading yourself too thin.

Let me start off with some optimism...I think anything is possible if you are motivated and find the right place.

However, I think I agree with what asmallchild said about spreading yourself too thin. I just spoke to the head of derm department the other day because I am pretty much thinking of your exact same scenario (but would try for a procedural instead of mohs). He told me that you need to spend a lot of time doing research if that's what you want to do. I think a lot of time dermpaths in academics just pretty much stick to that.

I think you will have to choose a focus at some point. Continue on with your plan to keep your options open though, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think thats a lot for you to handle

People always say that about basic science research. But my PI has an R01, he is also a surgeon and only spends only 1-2 days/week focusing on research. I guess I am unsure of how he accomplishes this... (he does not have a big lab, one grad student and one lab manager)... he does work with neighboring lab in doing certain things (like he does no mouse work). Is that really that uncommon?

People always say that about basic science research. But my PI has an R01, he is also a surgeon and only spends only 1-2 days/week focusing on research. I guess I am unsure of how he accomplishes this... (he does not have a big lab, one grad student and one lab manager)... he does work with neighboring lab in doing certain things (like he does no mouse work). Is that really that uncommon?

I'm sure it happens but I wouldn't recommend disclosing those plans in an interview. I've met quite a few PD's who were miffed at students professing a desire to pursue a career in academics (specifically research) and expecting to spend <50% of their time in it.

I would venture a guess that it takes an average investigator starting right after post-dot about 10 years to get an R01. They don't hand them out just to anyone, you need to have established a reputation in the field for yourself

Plus I am sure your PI has full time research staff who run the lab when he is away. It takes years and years of incredibly hard work to get to the point where your PI is at

Any other thoughts or inputs? especially from attendings?